Salute...

A Salute to those who have laid down their lives for our freedoms and to the lovely ladies who helped them get through the stresses of war...
Attachment 7489

Excerpt in History:

1941-1944"Entertainers" in Honolulu, HI

"Between 1941 and 1944, about 250 prostitutes were registered as ‘entertainers’ with the Honolulu Police Department. Each paid $1 a year for her license and was expected to report her earnings and pay taxes on them.

Approximately fifteen houses of prostitution operated in Honolulu.
Prostitution was illegal in Hawaii as it was on the mainland...In Hawaii, the May Act [signed by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1941 to prohibit prostitution aimed at servicement] had been assiduously avoided, although enforcement provisions specifically applied to American territories as well as states...

The military and many people in Hawaii approved of them [brothels] because, in the face of what they saw as unstoppable urges and acts, the houses seemed to keep venereal rates relatively low.

The brothel district, in one form or another, had existed for decades to serve the huge deployment of marines, sailors, and soldiers...and also to service the disproportionately male population of plantation workers who made Hawaii’s prewar economy go...On September 21, 1944, Governor Stainback...ordered the regulated brothels shut down."

Beth L. Bailey and David FarberThe First Strange Place: The Alchemy of Race and Sex in World War II Hawaii, 1994

Happy Memorial Day!...Jules
julesmilano.rare-courtesan.com
great post!!
agree---great post. and so important to remember and honor all those that have sacrificed for our freedoms, and to thank those that are currently serving our country.
Bravo, Milano!

A respectful (if slightly irreverent) salute on Memorial Day. Memorial Day began as “Decoration Day,” a day to honor those who died in the Civil War. The Civil War is also connected with the term “Hooker.”

According to a popular (and easily debunked) story, the men under Union Maj. Gen. “Fighting Joe" Hooker’s command during the Civil War were a particularly wild bunch, and would spend much of their time in brothels when on leave. For this reason, as the story goes, prostitutes came to be known as hookers. Some versions of the legend claim that the band of prostitutes that followed his division were derisively referred to as "General Hooker's Army" or "Hooker's Brigade."

Me, I like the legend. I also like you.

Monk
Good post.
A salute to the men and women who have served in the nation's military and a salute to the women who have serviced them.

BTW, historically the hobby has always thrived in times of war.

In the Revolutionary war 1 in 5 women in New York City were in the hobby.

In the Civil war Washington DC was full of brothels. STD's were so rampid a problem that the Union had to open hospitals specifically to treat them because STD's were keeping more Union soldiers out of active service then Confederate bullets were.

You can learn some interesting things watching the History Channel
Thank you military men and women for your service on my behalf.
I was not in the military, but I was in a Provider last night.
Thank you Ms. Milano
  • CDL1
  • 05-30-2010, 09:21 PM
Great post and very interesting info,
Some versions of the legend claim that the band of prostitutes that followed his division were derisively referred to as "General Hooker's Army" or "Hooker's Brigade." Originally Posted by Monk Rasputin
Oh dear, I always took it as gospel that those lewd and lascivious camp followers were the original "hookers".

What will the Texas SBOE do? They now will have to rewrite the history books. They won't be able to blame prostitution on the North (it was a Russian invention) or make it the true cause of the Civil War (BTW the South didn't lose) so how will they spin this? They can't blame MLK, since he, as I hear it, has been eliminated from history.

On a more serious note, both of my parents were veterans. I will remember them and my many uncles who served our country so well.

Awl4knot
Last night on the History Channel, it was told that in the days immediately following the bombing of Pearl Harbor, that the brothels converted themselves into temporary hospitals and that the providers not only gave up their beds but also cared for the wounded men and I think that is way cool.

The show also said that providers in Honolulu during the early part of the war were earning something like $30,000/year while ladies working in factories on the mainland were making around $3,000 to $4,000/year or something like that.