Auto-Delete to save room on Eccie Server.

Since Providers don't honor Referrals/OK's that are over 6-months or 1 year old.
And SOME Providers don't even stick around longer than 1-2 years.
And BANNED Members threads are still visable, even though the threads are Closed and members are long gone.
All Closed Threads and Reviews Past 2-Years.
And SOME Hobbyists don't even Search back Past 2-years on Anything or Anybody.
Why let all that junk sit on Eccie's Server for YEARS ?

Maybe we should have an Auto-Delete Feature to save room on Eccie Server, and make this timer for 1.5-years? 2-years? 2.5-years? 3-years?

Just a Thought,
CG
Good grief, what are you running at home, a x286 with a 5 inch floppy drive?

I have a micro-sd card (which is about the size of my little fingernail) laying on my desk that holds 2GB, and a standard sd card (about the size of a postage stamp) which holds 32GB, and those are both obsolete already, the latest iterations hold many times that. Not only is storage extremely tiny nowadays, but it's dirt cheap too - shop around and you can pick up a 1TB hard drive for 50 bucks.

Whoever maintains the site might want to delete old files because they just don't want to maintain the database, but to say it is to 'save space', is quite hilarious.
  • Mokoa
  • 06-20-2010, 12:05 AM
The recent migration that took place not too long ago placed this site on a group of server machines whose total capacity is very capable of handling the volume of information and the traffic the demand for it creates.
LeftySmith, You are Correct sir.
I Guess i'm just old school and old habits die hard.

CG
Old data is sometimes useful.

As a former mod on another board, I can tell you that it's particularly useful to the staff when tracking down troublemakers.

I can't figure out a good way to automatically filter out which posts should be deleted.

Data storage won't be the problem. The problem will be if the database access starts to slow down due to its sheer size.

I suspect that with competent database administration, proper design and maintenance of the database will reduce performance problems. It won't necessarily be a question of power of the computer, as much as its a question of database cleanup, maintenance, database program, eye of newt, wool of bat, and other database magic. If it becomes a problem, there are probably some tricks to more efficiently handle the old info vs. the current, rapidly changing info.
Old data and threads are useful. Thank God for Deuce Bigalow over on Eraps; the keeper of the dead hobby scrolls. There is gold in them thar hills.

Fortunately for me, the guy that introduced me to ASPD gave me some good advice.
a) Shutup and do not argue back until I get a little mileage and get a feel for the board.
b) real OLD threads, especially from guys who obviously get a lot of respect from others or you think might have imparted some knowledge at some point.

Those 2 pieces of advice saved me a lot of grief.

Chevalier also posted some "collections of links" that have some classic posts, the best newbie info, and links to the best "HOW TO..." posts ever. Guys like him are the head librarians of the hobby. The threads are all the books.

Server space is cheap. If the owners are to be believed, they have migrated the site to some top tier servers and pipelines, so the additional data storage is inconsequential. It is not near as taxing as all the different widgets running on this site.

This site has more than 30,000 users registered and over 3,000 online here now and the site is running pretty damn smoothly. Here is a pic of the data center.

Some day, the older posts here will be valuable. It already is for some research. tracking gals rates or specials frequency....

data is valuable. Ask GOOGLE.
Not that storage is an issue, but compression and auto-archiving rather than deleting would be the preferred means of managing data that is over one, 1.5 or two years old.

Fortunately for me, the guy that introduced me to ASPD gave me some good advice.
a) Shutup and do not argue back until I get a little mileage and get a feel for the board.
b) real OLD threads, especially from guys who obviously get a lot of respect from others or you think might have imparted some knowledge at some point. Originally Posted by cpi3000
When I invite somebody to ECCIE, I always tell them to read, read, read then start posting. I also remind them of the search feature.

Old threads are great for women getting into the business too. A friend introduced me to HDH on aspd. I learned the business from reading and reading. I am so glad that I learned the biz on aspd instead of my local Atlanta board on TER. Hopefully ECCIE is and will be a great learning tool for women learning this business.