Restaurants open on Christmas?

Does anybody know of any Austin restaurants that are open on Christmas day?

I did the big thanksgiving dinner, and it was just overkill for such a small family. So...I'd like to take the easy route for Christmas.

Any suggestions? I tried google, but only came up with past years.

Thanks for any help. I'm running out of time to go to the grocery store, if that's where it leads.

Alisha ...xoxo
jack in the box has a holiday schedule curly fries....the reason for the season hehehe
jack in the box has a holiday schedule curly fries....the reason for the season hehehe Originally Posted by knotty man
I was actually waiting on that one! Lol

Thanks for the recommendation, but.....I was hoping for something a bit more "edible". Lmao.

Alisha ...xoxo
Alisha, in today's Austin American Statesman, Austin360 section, page 5, there is a long list of restaurants open on Christmas Day. T.G.I. Fridays at the Radisson Hotel has a brunch that day, as does Carmelos. If you really want to do it up right, Fogo de Chao on 3rd street is open from 4:30-10 with their regular menu.

Bon appetit!
Alisha, in today's Austin American Statesman, Austin360 section, page 5, there is a long list of restaurants open on Christmas Day. T.G.I. Fridays at the Radisson Hotel has a brunch that day, as does Carmelos. If you really want to do it up right, Fogo de Chao on 3rd street is open from 4:30-10 with their regular menu.

Bon appetit! Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Thank you so very much!

That helped tremendously.

Alisha ...xoxo
  • FWR
  • 12-23-2010, 08:17 AM
I saw that Luby's will be open from 11-5. I did that for Thanksgiving, so much easier than cooking and the clean up
IIRC, Pizza Hut is open 365 days a year.
Stocking up on some of the carryout from some of the BBQ places is an option, too. A nice selection of brisket, turkey, sausage, etc. Be sure to have some "lighter" fare available for later meals, snacks, after you're in "meat overload" mode.

Various HEB "fully cooked" brand stuff is available. The shredded brisket is primo. They have authentic Southside Market Elgin sausage, too. They often have a decent "deli" as well.
Stocking up on some of the carryout from some of the BBQ places is an option, too. A nice selection of brisket, turkey, sausage, etc. Be sure to have some "lighter" fare available for later meals, snacks, after you're in "meat overload" mode.

Various HEB "fully cooked" brand stuff is available. The shredded brisket is primo. They have authentic Southside Market Elgin sausage, too. They often have a decent "deli" as well. Originally Posted by GneissGuy

I actually did something like that my first Christmas here. I had poke-joes cook my turkey. Still a lot of food, but easier work load for me since all I had to cook were the sides. It was horrible! That's when I found out that I don't like my turkey smoked.

I might try brunch out, and smoke a brisket here at home and do sandwiches. I can freeze the leftovers, and there not be so much waste.

I guess I feel the obligation to do something "proper" since it is Christmas.

Thanks for all the help.

Alisha ...xxoo
bah humbug... we don't need no stinkin' christmas dinner!!!
I actually did something like that my first Christmas here. I had poke-joes cook my turkey. Still a lot of food, but easier work load for me since all I had to cook were the sides. It was horrible! That's when I found out that I don't like my turkey smoked. Originally Posted by Alisha1972
That would be a good reason to get multiple items on the normal menu that you can try ahead of time in small quantities. If you know they make good brisket from eating lunch there, you're probably fairly safe on just getting a bigger order for carry out. Plus getting some turkey, some brisket, some sausage, some chicken, some pork, etc., there's less chance of all of it being bad. Also, if you go there at a slack time, instead of at lunch, you might get them to give you a taste of each before you buy, especially if it's one of those places where you are right in front of the carving guy.

I'm picky about turkey. I could be really disappointed if I bought a whole bird and didn't like the way it's cooked. I don't like smoked turkey, either, but I love it when it's cooked my way.
Katz Deli is open on Christmas day, but that's not much of a Christmas feast.
All the Chinese places are open!
Thank you so much for all the help.

I picked up dinner, and am all set. Hardest thing now is resisting the temptation to eat it now...lol.

Merry Christmas!
Alisha ...xoxo
Thank you so much for all the help.

I picked up dinner, and am all set. Hardest thing now is resisting the temptation to eat it now...lol.

Merry Christmas!
Alisha ...xoxo Originally Posted by Alisha1972
Well, what's for supper?