The world needs more of these instant "SAFETY" bridges

• ~Ze~
  • 03-15-2018, 02:41 PM
The bridge connects the university with the city of Sweetwater and was installed on Saturday in six hours over the eight-lane highway, according to a story that was posted on the university's website. It was 174 feet (53 m) long and weighed 950 tons.
Is this a normal construction practice in the USA?

Many other countries like China, can and do complete projects in record times. Though I thought we had more strict rules here.

Sad all the way around. Probably completely preventable.

I am a fan of pedestrian bridges. I wish we were all more pedestrian friendly. I live in a city where we put emphasis on biking, public transportation and walking/hiking and less on vehicular traffic.
I think it said the bridge was built next to the road so they wouldn’t have to close down the road and lifted and tied together in 6 days. The construction time was probably a lot longer.

The Minnesota bridge collapse made inspections of existing bridges much more frequent and thorough for bridges for vehicles. Foot bridges will probably be more scrutinized now also. Although this was a new bridge so most likely a design or construction goof.
6 hours?

Really?
  • ~Ze~
  • 03-15-2018, 07:49 PM
It took only six hours on Saturday to install the 174-foot pedestrian walkway...
In accelerated construction, most or all of a bridge project is fabricated off-site and then put into place all at once, ideally disrupting traffic for only a few hours or days.

The protocol "can improve safety to workers and the public," Seema Javeri, a traffic operations and work zone safety manager for the Federal Highway Administration, said in a web conference on the technology in 2013.

"It's safer since construction workers are not working near active traffic for days on end, as with traditional approaches," Javeri said. "It saves the traveling public time in traffic delays and road closures, and it reduces construction season and time. With cost savings, there's improved quality of the product, and the accelerated project times can potentially reduce project costs."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...people-n857011
Walkway was probably prefab or at least pre-engineered with plug and play type components. Obvious there was a serious design, materials, or construction defect. We’ll know soon enough.
Company has had many other "problems" with bridges per Dallas newspaper, Yupper that was a GOOD Idea ,,,
In time it will be proven the bridge itself and the science behind it were not at fault, but the construction company and installation was well below what it needed to be.
This burns me , millions on bridge for COLLAGE KIDS to cross street WOW REALLY And now 6 people died
This burns me , millions on bridge for COLLAGE KIDS to cross street WOW REALLY And now 6 people died Originally Posted by rexdutchman

And with a little luck the kids at that school will know how to spell the word "college" by the time they graduate.....
  • ~Ze~
  • 03-19-2018, 01:28 PM
And with a little luck the kids at that school will know how to spell the word "college" by the time they graduate..... Originally Posted by Chateau Becot
DAYUM! I got a girly boner.
  • Crock
  • 03-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Maybe it's a collage of Playboy college girls:

Sorry, I know that's a reach, but when I did a google image search on "collage kids" it made me recoil.