Happy 40th Birthday Compact Disc and Player... Not Dead Yet

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...history-photos

I'm playing a CD as I post. The Everly Brothers, thanks for asking, LOL.

A dying, near-death format in the US. Still booming in their birthplace, Japan.
i need to get my cd-tape player fixed.
the cd player was working fine a few weeks ago.
yesterday, i put in a cd and nada! it spins for a bit then the display just blinks ---
i tested w/ store bought cds (by specific musicians) and ones i burned on my computer.

anyone know of a place i can take it to get checked out?
i need to get my cd-tape player fixed.
the cd player was working fine a few weeks ago.
yesterday, i put in a cd and nada! it spins for a bit then the display just blinks ---
i tested w/ store bought cds (by specific musicians) and ones i burned on my computer.

anyone know of a place i can take it to get checked out? Originally Posted by pmdelites
That has heppened with me. The cd is not engaging to the laser. I assume you tried several times?

The cd's made today are lighter in weight, which makes them harder to engage, line up correctly. I suspect it is cheaper to buy another player than get it fixed. Test older discs made in the 1980's, vs. Discs manufactured in the past few years. You may discover the older, heavier cd's will engage and play.

I have a similar issue. When I pop in a disc, it often fails to track the first song. Re-inserting 1-3 times more will ''fix'' it. But it is wearing out. No worries, because I have a brand new player I got a few months ago, on sale.. Never used yet, but I'm ready at any time.
Bah Humbug!

8-Track and Vinyl is still the best way and clearer truer sound and quality.
Bah Humbug!

8-Track and Vinyl is still the best way and clearer truer sound and quality. Originally Posted by CG2014
They certainly can be, and are for many recordings. But the compact disc medium SHOULD be best (and often is).

Vinyl has limitations of a higher noise floor, pops, skips, reduced dynamic range. And a roughly 45-47 minute time limit before sound degradation begins.

CD's can be easily tampered with, through modern digital manuevers, such as compression/limiting, no-noise applications, and equalization errors.

In the earliest days of the CD, 1983-1992, roughly, the CD was much better-sounding than vinyl. Mostly, at least. Especially if reproducing from a Master Tape. After that, the new technology worked against analog recordings, when Digital Workstations made it easy to tinker with sound. Most listeners like loud-sounding, digitally compressed, dynamically-limited recordings, and that's mostly what they get the past 30 years.
I still jam to my cassette tapes
I use my CD player frequently and I still have 100s of CDs accumulated through the years.
There was a documentary on PBS recently about the inventors of CD technology. Watch it if you get a chance.
I use my CD player frequently and I still have 100s of CDs accumulated through the years.
There was a documentary on PBS recently about the inventors of CD technology. Watch it if you get a chance. Originally Posted by themoose
I didn't see it, but I know the CD was produced in a joint venture between Sony and Phillips. The first disc produced was ''the Visitors'', by ABBA. It was not for sale, just a proto-type. The first cd for sale was Billy Joel's ''52nd street''. In the Fall of 1982, cd's were only produced and sold in Japan, they started in Europe in the Spring of 1983. The US was late, August 1984 production began at a new plant in Terre Haute, Indiana, the digital audio disc corporation. The first disc produced was Springsteen's ''Born in the USA'', a red-face promo copy that sells for a fortune today.

Because Sony bought out Columbia around that time, the earliest cd's have ''csr'' in the hub (Columbia Sony Records). A & M records used the Matsushita Plant, and their earliest discs have that stamp in the hub. Polygram/Polydor produced most of the earliest European cd's (made in West Germany). The first batch of Sony's, Fall of 1982, were a mixed batch. Most of them were very low volume, the technology had not caught up with the cd player. Ironically, in 2022 most cd's are loud as Fuck, digitally compressed and unlistenable.

Many of the earliest cd's had ''pre-emphasis'', an imbedded software program designed to boost the treble, and fully utilize the dynamic range of cd's. That lasted a short time, until the cd's and players caught up to the new technology.
  • BLM69
  • 10-31-2022, 10:06 PM
I can now die in peace learning whatever chung posted above 😂 I rather know what's coming down the pipe line for the future, any insights Chung?
I can now die in peace learning whatever chung posted above 😂 I rather know what's coming down the pipe line for the future, any insights Chung? Originally Posted by BLM69

Ha!

I got a little deep in the weeds. My post sort of screamed NERD!, LOL

I'll give you 3 insights for the future:

1. The Sun will rise everyday in the East, and set in the West (Galileo said it has always, and will forever be that way.. But I can't verify something that happened before I reached the Age of Reason)

2. Donald Trump will be a divisive force in the National conversation and political sphere

3. The Houston Astros will win the 2022 World Series this coming weekend.
At this point gentlemen......I hesitate to say I have a collection of 78s I inherited from my parents.
  • BLM69
  • 11-02-2022, 01:46 PM
When I was a kid, 8 tracks were being replaced by cassette tapes, then came CD's, now I do all my music through YT music
My first wheels had no AC but it had 8 track player with AM radio. A mid to late 1970's Econoline.

Like this, in light blue, had the shag carpet on the floor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E...noline_100.jpg
  • BLM69
  • 11-02-2022, 03:36 PM
I learned how to drive stick on a old Plymouth with 3 on the tree, now that's old school......that van is cool, could be the love machine or in my terms, the fucking Van
My first wheels had no AC but it had 8 track player with AM radio. A mid to late 1970's Econoline.

Like this, in light blue, had the shag carpet on the floor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_E...noline_100.jpg Originally Posted by CG2014
I learned how to drive stick on a old Plymouth with 3 on the tree, now that's old school......that van is cool, could be the love machine or in my terms, the fucking Van Originally Posted by BLM69
Guys, this is fundamentally a music thread. At least slip in a video link that sort of relates to your post. Like these..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GHRJCcCYAF4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oGYSFKY2JKU

Now I'm not running to the Mods or anything, LOL. Normal conversations steer off track somewhat. Now it's different if sabatoge is the intent, but I think the Mods don't understand the difference.. Or maybe they don't care. Anyway, I've seen many threads killed off for thread derailments that were nothing more than normal bends to the conversation.

3. The Houston Astros will win the 2022 World Series this coming weekend. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
I looked like a Dummy last night, after the Phillies cranked 5 home runs in the first 5 innings, shutting out the Astros.

Tonight I look smart, after the Astros threw the 2nd no-hitter in World Series history!