Tamales: A thread

So who has the names to drop here of places to get the good tamales here in DFW?

Personally, looking for the basics....masa, lard, pork, a husk and some foil. Bring on some chicken, beef and jalapeno as well. That's what I'm looking for. But feel free to share some non-traditional styles such as, idk, organic, Costa Rican, whatever too..

Anyone got a steady shop, taqueria or truck to share here? Looking for actual businesses here, not so much your home boy or "this lady" that may/may not be at the corner of so and so street on Saturday mornings...

DON'T BE SHY
There’s a place in Oak Cliff. Near Hampton and Illinois called Tia Dora’s Bakery. They have some pretty good ones. Their chicken is my favorite.. it has a bit of a kick to it. I’m normally a pork tamale guy buy from there, the chicken is king to me. You usually have to go early because they sell out fast.
I’m far from an expert, but try Rocio’s Tamales in the Dallas Farmer’s Market on Saturday and Sundays.
You guys are too far north for the good stuff
First time I had a tamale when I was a kid, I didn't know it needed to be unwrapped first.
  • BLM69
  • 12-01-2022, 09:12 AM
So who has the names to drop here of places to get the good tamales here in DFW?

Personally, looking for the basics....masa, lard, pork, a husk and some foil. Bring on some chicken, beef and jalapeno as well. That's what I'm looking for. But feel free to share some non-traditional styles such as, idk, organic, Costa Rican, whatever too..

Anyone got a steady shop, taqueria or truck to share here? Looking for actual businesses here, not so much your home boy or "this lady" that may/may not be at the corner of so and so street on Saturday mornings...

DON'T BE SHY Originally Posted by Bald Bryan
Those sound like central American tamales, much better than the dry Mexican tamales
You guys are too far north for the good stuff Originally Posted by Precious_b
Kinda seems to be the case for the most part. However, there's gotta be some gems up here, just fewer and far between is all. The Tia Dora's Bakery mentioned above seems like a good place to at least try, think I saw that listed somewhere else as well, so worth a shot.

When I lived in San Antonio, I was a faithful patron of Tellez. They had a location on Bandera Road that I would hit up and always be fat and happy. They built a larger operation more towards the city that I never gota chance to visit but I'm assuming they're still reliable. On another site, a gal mentioned to me Delicious Tamales and I had a flashback of having some of their product as well.

We finally got some decent BBQ options up here in Dallas but I guess we're still waiting for the tamales to take hold.
Marquez Bakery-Arlington
It's a bit unexpected but a gringo in Grapevine makes the best in the region:

Tommy Tamales
i order from Dalia's from The Valley every year, shipping cost makes them $1-2 more but they are the best. Her story is incredible. here is a link to her story:

https://deliastamales.com/history/
  • motor
  • 12-12-2022, 05:49 PM
There was another thread about these and this is what I recommended

Tamaleria Nuevo Leon
2139 E Buckingham Rd Richardson Tx 75081.

I have eaten these and they are damn hard to spit out.
Tommy Tamales is good, also
El Rancho Mercado
Good post..I do love homemade tamales! I am taking notes!

I am having homemade tamales for christmas..theres a spanish guy in my town who makes them for twenty bucks for a dozen,..and he makes homemade salsa!