Internet Speed Upgrade

So my ISP upgraded my connection to 200mps. While true between me and my ISP the speed is 200mps, outside the the network, the performance gain is minimal.

Overall, I consider it a ...meh (Sloganmark, Von Spieler) type event.

A good test of speed is to use http://testmy.net/ since they are independent and favor no specific ISP.

Whats your speed?
I keep getting notifications from Time Warner to trade in my modem for another (without additional cost) to upgrade to 200mps.

My current setup is working so well that I am reluctant to change. Is it really worth it?

SF
Yes it's worth it, I'm not sure what modem you're using but if it needs to be able to recognize 16 downstreams to be able to handle the speeds and not to mention that the speed they advertise is "hardwired" not wireless. And from what I'm told if you're just getting the regular speeds then the area hasn't been upgraded yet.
You should do it. It's easy and you get a pretty decent modem with pretty good wireless capability.
I keep getting notifications from Time Warner to trade in my modem for another (without additional cost) to upgrade to 200mps.

My current setup is working so well that I am reluctant to change. Is it really worth it?

SF Originally Posted by SpursFan
Yes, I had my older equipment fail due to the upgrade which was overloading it according to TW. You'll need to upgrade eventually.

Plus, with broadcasting and films moving into a higher resolution (2160p) which will demand more speed for streaming, might as well get it over with now.
Sooooo They advertise $14.95 for everyday internet. WHY are they charging ME $50.00? If I hardly ever download, do I really need to pay $50? I doubt TWC will give me a straight answer. Is this $15 internet for email and web surfing and running my wireless network adequate.
Sooooo They advertise $14.95 for everyday internet. WHY are they charging ME $50.00? If I hardly ever download, do I really need to pay $50? I doubt TWC will give me a straight answer. Is this $15 internet for email and web surfing and running my wireless network adequate. Originally Posted by Txsunman
At that speed it basically for checking emails and your basic internet surfing, it's not meant to be used for streaming movies and stuff like that. As far as the price you're paying you might wanna check what level of internet service you actually have.
I have extreme Internet from tw. And I really don't see a difference. I'm into gaming and there's still a lag. But, if you are into Netflix on several different consoles, and simply on the Internet. I do suggest you upgrade. But, with 50 mbps it is sufficient.

SF Originally Posted by SpursFan
Check your bill SF, you will find you are leasing that modem... I went out and bought my own modem and told them to shove that monthly lease up theirs....