Should Odinet lose her job.

Some on this forum have stated over and over that racism doesn’t exist in America. Some have said the only racism is against whites. Some have declared the true racists to be blacks and democrats. Some have even decried The existence of systemic racism.

Well in Louisiana we’ve had two female judges caught using racial epithets, namely aimed at black people. The same race of folks that have to come to their courts in search of justice and fair treatment.

Most recently, Judge Odinet, in Lafayette City Court and before her Judge LeBlanc (who resigned) came under fire for their use of language.

https://www.wafb.com/2021/12/15/call...cist-language/

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...2668c27b1.html

Simple question, should they lose their position as judges for saying something racist all while claiming they have no racist views?
Only if some of their best friends are of that racial group.

HAHAHAHAHSHSH
No!

Everything said today is racist if someone says so.

Look at the career body of work. And watch the person for more slip ups in the future!

This is out of hand. Words aint shit. At worst just assign the case to another judge
No!

Everything said today is racist if someone says so.

Look at the career body of work. And watch the person for more slip ups in the future!

This is out of hand. Words aint shit. At worst just assign the case to another judge Originally Posted by winn dixie
So she should be the judge if everyone is white?
Some on this forum have stated over and over that racism doesn’t exist in America. Some have said the only racism is against whites. Some have declared the true racists to be blacks and democrats. Some have even decried The existence of systemic racism.

Well in Louisiana we’ve had two female judges caught using racial epithets, namely aimed at black people. The same race of folks that have to come to their courts in search of justice and fair treatment.

Most recently, Judge Odinet, in Lafayette City Court and before her Judge LeBlanc (who resigned) came under fire for their use of language.

https://www.wafb.com/2021/12/15/call...cist-language/

https://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...2668c27b1.html

Simple question, should they lose their position as judges for saying something racist all while claiming they have no racist views? Originally Posted by NoirMan
First, I do know of anyone here who has said that racism does not exist. You are flat out wrong. Is it as prevalent as the left would have you believe? NOPE. Is it confined to just white people as the left would have you believe? NOPE.

Here's the deal...if we agree to these judges should step down for their poor choice of words, even if their conduct is exemplary then every person of color who happens to be a judge must be punished for any breech of decorum involving language or conduct. I'm just not talking about white people who come seeking justice but Muslim, gay, Jewish, Asian, and Maga hat wearing Trump supporters. Can you do that?
No. Do not resign over poor choice of words.
This is 2021.

Anybody should know that if you are Caucasian, you NEVER use the “N” word. Period.

If these two don’t get that, then they are two damned stupid to be Judges.
Breach of decorum. Lol. Poor choice of words, Funny. Calling people racists insults isn’t really a breach of decorum as much as it suggests how you view those people as a whole.

How about this. Firstly Trump supporters may be stupid generally but they aren’t a race of people. Just, as HF says, misguided. Or as I would say, stupid. But were I a judge I’d not have some bias against them because of their political leanings or views. We just disagree fundamentally on issues but that doesn’t create a bias against those people in whether they will be treated fairly in litigation or the criminal justice system.

If I went around using pejoratives to describe white people, Jews, Asians or Muslims, that surely suggests that I might have a bias against them and in that case I shouldn’t be a judge. How can a judge treat everyone fairly if they have racist views, which you’d expect then to have if they use racist language in a racist way.

What I’ve learned in my many years around white folks, is that they have a difficult time differentiating between just using racist words and having racist thoughts. Put simply, were I to call my brother the N word it would be different from calling every black person the N word. Firstly the intent is completely different. Kinda like calling someone by a nickname vs calling them something as an intended insult. Not saying it’s right, but it is different. It’s really not that complicated.

White (not exclusively but because the subject was a white female) people intend it as an insult and denigration against other races. And yes everyone does it so there no need to beat that dead horse. Just like I saw a cowboy movie the other day from the 60s (I think) where they called the Indians red-Ns and in Ghandi they called the Indians Ns and when I was in the military they referred to Arabians as Sand Ns. It was always used as an overall insult and a way of expressing what can only be their racist view towards other peoples.

Now, without getting too far afield, if a judge claims to not have racist thoughts or beliefs, why would the word come out of her mouth when it did. Could she argue while rapping along with a song that the word was in the song? Ok, that makes sense. Or if she’s reading Mark Twain or some book or poem, ok, makes sense. But for no other reason than to describe someone black, hmmmm, more likely due to some bias.
Somebody used the “word” during a fit of anger to describe a person who attempted to break into her house. And yes the “perp” was black.

They don’t even know if the judge was on the recording.

Does that mean she or they have a racial bias against all black people? If you call someone a “trailer trash red neck hoosier” (my apologies to people from Indiana) I wouldn’t assume you hate or have a racial bias against all white people
If I drove down to the “hood” and stopped at one of the many house that are fortified with steel bars on windows and doors, their a/c unit encased in cyclone fence and asked them why. If they told me it was because of the “trailer trash redneck hossiers” should I believe their racially biased against ALL white people.

I would think “whitey” earned the name just like the person who attempted to break in and rob the judge.

Blacks use the “N word” all the time to describe people they find socially unacceptable. I guess that means their racially biased
She didn’t sound angry. In fact she was laughing. Were it not her on the recording, I’m sure she would have said it wasn’t her. She admitted it was her and actually claimed that she was on a sedative at the time so drugs made her do it.

If my understanding of the video is correct, this was them watching a video of her husband catching and restraining the “perp” or as she and her son (I believe) called “N”.

The flaw of your red neck or trailer trash argument is that those may be predominantly white people but it’s not used to denigrate white people generally. Just poor ones, just like calling someone a hood rat or ghetto. Yes it’s an insult, but it’s not the generally racist term with the same long history as N. Everyone in America knows that N is a flashpoint. It’s use by whites accompanied violence and murder. Claiming that it’s ok because a white person was mad is a terrible excuse.
  • WTF
  • 12-17-2021, 12:47 PM
Good luck finding a Judge who is not biased
She didn’t sound angry. In fact she was laughing. Were it not her on the recording, I’m sure she would have said it wasn’t her. She admitted it was her and actually claimed that she was on a sedative at the time so drugs made her do it.

If my understanding of the video is correct, this was them watching a video of her husband catching and restraining the “perp” or as she and her son (I believe) called “N”.

The flaw of your red neck or trailer trash argument is that those may be predominantly white people but it’s not used to denigrate white people generally. Just poor ones, just like calling someone a hood rat or ghetto. Yes it’s an insult, but it’s not the generally racist term with the same long history as N. Everyone in America knows that N is a flashpoint. It’s use by whites accompanied violence and murder. Claiming that it’s ok because a white person was mad is a terrible excuse. Originally Posted by NoirMan

Here's the link you supplied, maybe you need to revisit it. Clearly states they do not know who's voice are on the recording. And she doesn't state anywhere she used the word in question.

Because a white person is poor does not make them "trailer trash" anymore than being black makes someone a "nxxxxr". Thoseterms are used to describe people of unsavory character. You would never call a person like Colin Powell the "n" word, but it might be used to describe someone who randomly drives down the street firing a weapon and endangers other people.
Are you stating that blacks do not use the "N word" to describe people of their own race, in a derogatory fashion.
Breach of decorum. Lol. Poor choice of words, Funny. Calling people racists insults isn’t really a breach of decorum as much as it suggests how you view those people as a whole.

I agree that a judge must be held to the highest standard. Using racial insults would show a bias that a judge can not have. What I find sad and funny at the same time, is that high ranking Democrats can refer to any White person that holds a different view than they do, as a White Supremacist, a racial insult, which IMHO shows racial bias but nobody on the left seems to care much less make the argument that a person in their position shouldn't be using racial insults, but that would severely impact the Democrat narrative that any White person that disagrees with them is a White Supremacist and Democrats aren't about to give up the "you're a racist if we say you are". Can you imagine asking all Democrats to stop using racially sensitive words like White Supremacist?

How about this. Firstly Trump supporters may be stupid generally but they aren’t a race of people. Just, as HF says, misguided.

OK, just to be clear, my use of the word mis-guided was used on those people who honestly thought they could protest in the same way BLM supporters could by using violence and threatening people to get their point across. Democrats and Blacks can do it but White Republicans can not. When Democrats didn't condemn this behavior of their own, ( the summer riots ) and actually supported such violence ( which we are paying for today ) IMHO, they lost the moral high ground and their opinions are diminished because of their lack of outrage and lost any right at all to make such judgements.

Or as I would say, stupid. But were I a judge I’d not have some bias against them because of their political leanings or views. We just disagree fundamentally on issues but that doesn’t create a bias against those people in whether they will be treated fairly in litigation or the criminal justice system.

"If" the Democrat Attorney General of the US uses the words White Supremacists, that would be a racial insult IMHO and would prove that any such person would not get a fair trial and hearing by such a person.

If I went around using pejoratives to describe white people, Jews, Asians or Muslims, that surely suggests that I might have a bias against them and in that case I shouldn’t be a judge.

On that I must agree.

How can a judge treat everyone fairly if they have racist views, which you’d expect then to have if they use racist language in a racist way.

Even if they aren't racists, they will be perceived as racists and should not serve as a judge.

What I’ve learned in my many years around white folks, is that they have a difficult time differentiating between just using racist words and having racist thoughts. Put simply, were I to call my brother the N word it would be different from calling every black person the N word. Firstly the intent is completely different. Kinda like calling someone by a nickname vs calling them something as an intended insult. Not saying it’s right, but it is different. It’s really not that complicated.

Oh but it is and the fact that many, many Black people call each other the N-word can confuse some White people as to why they can't use the same word without it being an insult. You would have to look for intent to be fair.

White (not exclusively but because the subject was a white female) people intend it as an insult and denigration against other races. And yes everyone does it so there no need to beat that dead horse. Just like I saw a cowboy movie the other day from the 60s (I think) where they called the Indians red-Ns and in Ghandi they called the Indians Ns and when I was in the military they referred to Arabians as Sand Ns. It was always used as an overall insult and a way of expressing what can only be their racist view towards other peoples.

Now, without getting too far afield, if a judge claims to not have racist thoughts or beliefs, why would the word come out of her mouth when it did. Could she argue while rapping along with a song that the word was in the song? Ok, that makes sense. Or if she’s reading Mark Twain or some book or poem, ok, makes sense. But for no other reason than to describe someone black, hmmmm, more likely due to some bias. Originally Posted by NoirMan

Agree and a judge can not show bias, period.
Here's the link you supplied, maybe you need to revisit it. Clearly states they do not know who's voice are on the recording. And she doesn't state anywhere she used the word in question.

Because a white person is poor does not make them "trailer trash" anymore than being black makes someone a "nxxxxr". Thoseterms are used to describe people of unsavory character. You would never call a person like Colin Powell the "n" word, but it might be used to describe someone who randomly drives down the street firing a weapon and endangers other people.
Are you stating that blacks do not use the "N word" to describe people of their own race, in a derogatory fashion. Originally Posted by tman1847

Hence the "complication" that NoirMan says isn't that comlicated. Blacks can use the word to insult and be cordial, you just have to figure out the intent which may not always be so clear.

The solution? If you want White people to stop using the word, maybe Blacks should stop it too.
So she should be the judge if everyone is white? Originally Posted by NoirMan
This statement may need a little clarification, if I misinterpret what you are posting, but on it's face: YES!

If a Judge cannot put aside race when making decisions in cases without any legal principle involving the races of the parties, then the person ought not to be a Judge and should be removed either by voters or a judicial tribunal established for the monitoring of Judges in that jurisdiction.