OOPS I almost killed a client

I think this is what you call a worst case scenario.

It was an overnight session with a regular. After round two he complained of shortness of breath. So now he's sitting on the edge of the bed huffing and puffin and wheezing.

"I need an inhaler," he says believing he is in the middle of an asthma attack. So off he goes in search of an ER. I think he wants me to drive him, but I'm too scare of some nurse asking how it all went down. What am i supposed to say,'Oh yes, he overexerted himself with a hooker" ? Client sent me a text, and the staff DID ask him what happened but he didn't respond.

Turns out he was not having an asthma attack at all. Doctors notice his blood pressure has spiked to 228/120 and they realize he has blockage. The good news is that client is due to be released today. He says that I helped him.

I've had clients joke about having a heart attack, but I didn't think this stuff really happened. Is there some kind of protocol for this situation? lol
Why didn't you at least drive him to an ER and drop him off? He coulda died enroute and killed someone else! If someone asked what you were doing ..just say you found him in the parking lot grasping his chest and helped him to the ER!
I say it beats one of those treadmill stress tests.
Why didn't you at least drive him to an ER and drop him off? He coulda died enroute and killed someone else! If someone asked what you were doing ..just say you found him in the parking lot grasping his chest and helped him to the ER! Originally Posted by ben dover
You're right, I should have. :/

I hope my post will at least help someone else out. Neither one of us had any idea what actually was going on- we both thought it was asthma. I guess maybe the moral of the story is assume the worst hope for the best.

ETA: Guy was very grateful. He said at least it happened with someone around.
always have Bayer aspirin on hand ( can save a life from a heart attack) and get a defibrillator

always have Bayer aspirin on hand ( can save a life from a heart attack) and get a defibrillator

Originally Posted by Sweet N Little
LMAO@ the cartoon! The guy was actually younger like early 30s. That's one why neither one of us would have guessed what was really going on. :/

Aspirin, defib ok on my list now!
  • Sami
  • 01-09-2012, 11:07 AM
made note: Going to buy some bayer aspirin..
Just remember the asprin only buys them time, doesnt actually fix the problem

Aspirin can help prevent heart attacks in patients with coronary artery disease and in healthy men over 50 years of age. Only low doses, between 81 and 325 mg a day, are needed. But people who think they may be having an attack need an extra 325 mg of aspirin, and they need it as quickly as possible. For the best results, chew a single full-sized 325-mg tablet, but don’t use an enteric-coated tablet, which will act slowly even if chewed. And don’t forget to call 911, then your doctor. It’s a contemporary update on the old reminder to take two aspirin and call in the morning — and it’s good advice to chew over.

Disclaimer...I am not a nurse , I just dress like one if requested

Granted, age of client would not have suggested a heart attack, but in general, you should never drive yourself to a hospital.

I am not a doctor, but I am not sure a defib machine would have been the answer either. A stethoscope & blood pressure cuff would have been pretty good thing to have around, as would one of those things you put on your finger to measure the oxygen (oximeter, I believe). Of course, if he is diagnosed with asthma, an asthma inhailer should have been in his pocket.

There is a DFW provider who actually had a client die on her during a session, she could probably give some good suggestions for all.

(I can see it now, a provider's list of items for her incall including all of this medical equipment. How many threads have we read where the lady didn't have condoms, and now we want her to have a fully stocked ER in her incall?)
That is the way I want to die, and I don't give a flying shit who finds out. I want the obit to read "Man dies living life".
And just in case this happens to anyone else, things did not go down like in the movies. Gentlemen was out of breath, but not clutching his chest, and he was talking intelligibly.
  • Sami
  • 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM
I would assume this is they way many would choose

That is the way I want to die, and I don't give a flying shit who finds out. I want the obit to read "Man dies living life". Originally Posted by FlectiNonFrangi
I have an extensive medical background so my training would kick in and I would get him to the ER and if asked I was a friend and make sure he had someone coming to be him than leave quietly after telling him keep me informed....
OMG!!! I wont have freaked out and called 911.. Hmmm.. I am the worse liar.. I dont know what i would have said when they got there.. lol
I am surprised this doesn't happen more often. That dude is lucky. What if he had a massive heart attack? He could have died within 10 minutes of seating on the edge of the bed. Then what would you have done? Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do the right thing. This could happen to anybody and I'm not calling you out. Just asking the question. I think this was good to post so providers at least could give it some good thought and maybe have a plan.