Mission complete

Regarding his dead crew mates and the question Bush still asks himself: “Did I do everything I could to save them?” After so many years, for George Bush, could the war still come down to a few moments over a godforsaken volcanic island when he lived and Del Delaney and Ted White died?

“I assume you believe in heaven?” I ask.

“Yes, I do.”

“Have you ever thought that you will be reunited with those two men?”

“I do feel that way.”

“How do you think that conversation will go?”

“I felt a certain sense of guilt,” he says. Yet he believes that if he ever sees Del and Ted again, they already will know that the burning plane could have blown up at any second, that he gave them the order to “hit the silk” and banked the plane to lessen the slipstream pressure for their exit, that they already will know that he did all he could have done to save their lives.

“Would you want to hear them say that?” I ask.

“I would,” he answers.

(History Net)
Mission Complete.
Oh my heart. Beautiful.

Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
Dog will move on to assist vets.
Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
Hard to top that. Good work your Holiness
This morning I kept wondering why I am feeling such a loss. Then I noticed the year of 41’s birth year.

He was the same age of my own Dad.

At the age of 22 my Dad flew a B-24 Liberator and lead 9 other men into battle over the skies of Nazi Germany while my Mom worked in a factory that made his bomber.

Can you imagine what New Years Eve 1946 was like?

Yes IB......Mission Complete
This morning I kept wondering why I am feeling such a loss. Then I noticed the year of 41’s birth year.

He was the same age of my own Dad.

At the age of 22 my Dad flew a B-24 Liberator and lead 9 other men into battle over the skies of Nazi Germany while my Mom worked in a factory that made his bomber.

Can you imagine what New Years Eve 1946 was like?

Yes IB......Mission Complete Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
Mine too. July 1924. Joined Air Force day after Pearl Harbor. Lifetime Decorated Military veteran. WWII, Korea, Vietnam. Ended his career in one of the Intelligence agencies. My Dad actually looked like 41. Dad passed in 2015. They truly were the great generation
^^^^^i think you mean Army Air Corps^^^^^
^^^^^i think you mean Army Air Corps^^^^^ Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
yeah whatever they called it. I think you get the point. Thank you for the correction
yeah whatever they called it. I think you get the point. Thank you for the correction Originally Posted by themystic
I just thought you’d like to know. I know that you are just as proud of your dad as I am of mine.

I was thinking about both my parents as I watched the honor guard transfer the casket on to Special Mission 41.
I just thought you’d like to know. I know that you are just as proud of your dad as I am of mine.

I was thinking about both my parents as I watched the honor guard transfer the casket on to Special Mission 41. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
I appreciate it. I got some group pictures of his training squadron. My dad and all the other guys looked like little kids. Like today's 12 year old. It was a trip
  • oeb11
  • 12-03-2018, 10:30 AM
Thank You - DL - it is very touching.
DL and TM - I have great respect for your Fathers - and all who served.

My Father served as WW II combat photographer. Survived the Pacific theater. Deceased 10 years, My Mom as well.

A salute to George HW Bush and all who served honorably - and gave truly of themselves.
I appreciate it. I got some group pictures of his training squadron. My dad and all the other guys looked like little kids. Like today's 12 year old. It was a trip Originally Posted by themystic
Yeah....I was also thinking about what our Dads would think about us writing about them on a hooker board.

I’m taking a break.

Later
My dad joined the army when he was 17. Lied about his age and ended up storming the beaches of Normandy. The army puts out books about their history. One day my mom found it (after he passed) and he was in it. They called him "Snake"
because he could move like one. He saved others. He helped others. He was also in Korea and Vietnam.

He never spoke about it.

I miss him and that generation was pure gold.
My Dad was stationed in the Philippines in training as part of the invasion force in the event that we had to invade the mainland islands of Japan. He was also a Draftee. When I got my draft notice, there was never any question as to what my intentions would have to be.

My Dad got a crappy hand dealt to him, he died at age 59 from mesothelioma. He worked in Shipyards after the war dismantleing ships. Every thing in the engine rooms were covered with asbestos lagging. I am 13 ears older than he was when he died.

Thanks for the touching photo. As Bam said, the dog already has another assignment as a companion animal as soon as his work is done here.