bank error in my favor

im a lil drunk from dt so please disregard the bad grammar. so i noticed a bank error in my favor where i go 840 dollars extra in my acct today deposited yesterday (or posted yesterday) 760 in cash 80 from a check from a local business. so i am assuming the cash is from them also. what probably happened is either the teller punched in wrong acct number or the person wrote the wrong acct number. my question is should i keep it or report to my bank
They will be able to track the misdirected deposit to your account and reverse it. You will probably feel better about it if you report it, as the end result is the same.
They will be able to track the misdirected deposit to your account and reverse it. You will probably feel better about it if you report it, as the end result is the same. Originally Posted by Billy_Saul
That is correct, even if you withdraw it they will still charge it back to your account. There are no freebies when it comes to this.
They will find the error, and take the money out of your account. I'd go ahead and report it now before you get into hot water with possible returned checks, etc by taking it out and not actually having that money.
I've had this happen to me both ways several times, the bank has always caught it and reversed it.
ditto
You've got the correct answer.. As nice as free money is, IT'S NEVER FREE FROM A BANK... not any more.
Years ago, as a teenager, I went to a bank and bought a money order and they made a one decimal place, so I got 180.00 instead of $18. At that time, to a kid, it was a fortune, but if they caught it, there (at that day in age) wasn't anything they could do about it after I was gone.. Anymore??? Not so much.
In fact, odds are pretty good, they have already found the error.
Banks do audits all the time just for this reason.
The depositor may have written the wrong account number on the deposit slip, but it is the teller's responsibility to check the ID.

If someone wanted to deposit $1 million dollars in your account they couldn't do it without your ID.

Chances are the teller will get fired. I know a lady who got fired because her cash box checked out a few dollars long one time.

These banks don't tolerate any errors in their employees who handle money. Sad that this happened during the holidays.
What would Billy Saul Estes do?
The depositor may have written the wrong account number on the deposit slip, but it is the teller's responsibility to check the ID.

If someone wanted to deposit $1 million dollars in your account they couldn't do it without your ID.
Originally Posted by trynagetlaid
I have never experienced a bank requiring an ID to accept my deposit. If they did, I believe I would get another bank.
I have never experienced a bank requiring an ID to accept my deposit. If they did, I believe I would get another bank. Originally Posted by Billy_Saul
You might be well known at your bank, and there's not a lot of turnover in tellers. Or they are checking your signature against the one they have on file. Either way they have to make sure deposits are only accepted from the account holder.

I have tried to deposit money in accounts which weren't my own in exchange for goods or services, and been turned away, on more than one occasion.
I have been able to desposit money in other's accounts without having to show an ID many times...
I have been able to desposit money in other's accounts without having to show an ID many times... Originally Posted by CRamsey
I have done wire transfers to another bank and account number, but never deposited cash in person to another person's account.

You Can Deposit Money Into ANYONE'S Account

WITHOUT An ID - They JUST Wont Give You a Receipt

For It, If It Is NOT YOUR Account.

AND YES EVERYONE Is EXACTLY RIGHT!!!!!

THEY WILL TAKE IT BACK ONCE THE ERROR IS

CAUGHT - AND YES IT WILL BE CAUGHT!!!!!

GIVE THE MONEY BACK NOW - LESS HEADACHE LATER!!!

EVERYONE'S FAVORITE FLOWER,

Lilly

HAVE YOU HAD YOUR "LILLY EXPERIENCE" LATELY