tech'y "?"

nephew is at my house for a week. I turn on the wireless for my hub, so he can get to the web with his apple with my DSL line. He is talking to his father, one of my brothers. In Iraq with vidio web phone.

Why or how does it seem my pc gets faster reply from web when he is also on the web at the same time?

as the DSL modem looks to be very busy. I would think the web would take longer for my old IBM.

Do I get more bandweight, as I use more?????? strange very strange
  • GP
  • 12-24-2010, 10:10 AM
It is a conspiracy. The government is looking in your computer hence the faster speed. LOL

I have no idea.
Interesting question, offshore. Unfortunately, though I am pretty "tech savvy", I don't have an answer for you. But I notice a similar thing: when I download large files, my download speed often INCREASES if I download more than one. In other words, if I download just one file, sometimes it pokes along pretty slowly. If I d-l another at the same time, they will BOTH ramp up to a pretty high speed. Weird.

It really frustrates me how little progress has been made in some ways with PC's. Sure, they are cheaper and more powerful all the time. But when people get in trouble or have questions, solutions can be really tough... and often make little sense. And don't even get me started on the whole "bug" and "virus" thing. I look on both as serious product defects that are getting worse over time. And we are letting companies like Microsoft off the hook. Why do we tolerate it? I guess at this point, it has been going on for so long and we have become so dependent on these machines that we have no choice. But it is pretty ridiculous when you think about it.
The simple answer is latency. Think of your car engine sputtering around town, low mpg. Get on the highway, more efficient even though working harder. It works better when you are utilizing it's potential instead of little packet transfers here and there with latency in-between.
What roscoe14850 says is correct, at least as far as faster speeds on bigger files. Think of it as time lost starting and finishing the download. It doesn't explain why downloads would seem faster when a wireless user is running a Skype session on your network, which *should* compete with your computer for the DSL bandwidth. That may be attributable to "mere coincidence."