*** Official UFC/MMA Thread ***

The (other) big fight went down tonight between JDS and Velasquez, being that it was the first UFC fight ever on broadcast television, why not make start a thread about it? I thought it went pretty well, although showing Ben Henderson and Clay Guida would have probably been a hell of a fight to air as well. Nevertheless, I thought the fight was good, I picked Dos Santos to win, and I'd love to see him fight Overeem at some point. But Overeem will first have to get through this guy:

Here's a nice GIF of the fight, BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE:

Anyone else see the fight?
I will take UFC serious when there is midget UFC.
  • Trey
  • 11-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I hated ufc when it first came out, it was an hour of man love down on the mat most fights. Now they stand them up and you get much less man love. Still every time I watch it I see why boxing was made. I would love to see a straight boxing match with the gloves they use in ufc that fight was pretty close to it.
I hope UFC does more free fights. They have a PPV everyone other week.
  • Satin
  • 11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Don, I have to be honest, I have no interest in UFC. At my fight party Saturday, there were a few guys who insisted upon watching it on the other tv's. I noticed their excitement ended very quickly. When I asked what's the deal and they said it was over in like one minute, I just started laughing. Every "big fight" I've watched for UFC has always been a disappointment.

I was a fan when it first came out. Back then? No rounds, no weight classes & you could do damn near anything to your opponent. Way too watered down now.

The best was the one and only Royce Gracie from Brazil. 6th degree black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Bad ass dude. When he came out with his entire fighting family with their hands on each other in a line, it struck fear in the other fighter so bad, the fight was halfway over.....

I'm trying to give it another chance. Back on topic, who should I keep my eye on??
Yeah, looks like no one here watched it. A lot of the UFC fans, including myself thought it was dumb that they didn't air Ben Henderson vs Clay Guida, it went 15 minutes and was an awesome fight as expected. And they ended up having one fight go for 40 seconds on a one hour show...nevertheless, the production was good, and Fox and UFC were both pleased with the show. 2012 is really when it should pick up with the two hour shows.

As far as to who to keep an eye on, I'll post a quick run-down.

John Jones is probably the most dangerous guy in the sport right now, he's fought great guys, and is only in his early 20's. His only loss was from DQ because he threw an illegal elbow that fractured a guys orbital bone. He has two brothers that play in the NFL. He's going to own the sport for many years to come, and he's only getting better. It's scary. He's also a great and humble guy. He even witnessed a old woman get her purse stolen and chased down the thief and returned her purse back to her a few hours before his last fight, it was pretty crazy..

Anderson Silva and George St. Pierre are the next two best guys. Anderson is a Brazilian who has amazing stand-up striking ability and has some of the greatest KO's in the sports history. GSP is an Olympic calibrate wrestler and one of the most feared fighters in the sport.

@Satin. MMA is a sport now, back in the day when you were watching, it was more of a freak show. Dana White who is the president of the UFC, bought it in 2001 and made it a success in just 5 years, he's a former boxing promoter. He's never afraid to speak his mind, curses a lot, and doesn't bullshit with that the fans, he's taken the sport a long way.

And yeah, Royce was a bad motherfucker, but a lot of those early UFC fights were mismatches. Now days, every one is great, you can't just be good at boxing, judo, or wrestling to be successful in the MMA, you have to be good at everything. The sport has evolved. And the rules they have now are to protect the fighters and make it safe. Poking a guy's eye or Head stomping him could really fuck them up in a bad way.

John Jones, Anderson Silva, and George St. Pierre, are the best guys for the UFC to promote. They all have great personalizes, and are legitimately nice guys.

And a lot of athletes and celebrities have been on the bandwagon for a while now. A lot of football players train MMA to get in shape, just saw a video of Demarco Murray the other day. I doubt this aired on TV, but this is a pretty good video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yThVrdR7dW8
Gina Carano is also a chick that's big in the sport, she only has one loss and has a pretty big fan base, she's kind of focused on doing movies at the moment though.