"The Sweet Science" baby!! Catch-all Boxing Thread!!

It seems like someone only starts a thread when Mayweather or Pacquiao fight and then everybody forgets about boxing until one of them fight again. Fight fans need a thread to discuss everything going on in the sport besides just Mayweather and Pacman.

So who saw Victor Ortiz get his jaw broken saturday night? That was a hell of a fight, Lopez came in there BANGING!

It's a damn shame Mayweather has to sit in jail for 90 days or however much time he got. You know they're not feeding him right in there and he can't be getting the type of workout an elite athlete needs. It's going to be interesting to see if his 34 year-old body can get back to the level he was at once he does get out and gets back in the ring.
Did you see Chavez KO Lee's ass?? That was a halarious few minutes~~ Lee had NO chance at all..
No, I'm pissed that I missed that fight. Chavez jr. has his fight coming up with Sergio Martinez sept.15 and there is now way in hell I'm missing that one. Martinez is a BEAST and will be favored to win but either way it will be an awesome fight.
You didn't miss much... it was a quick one!! But it was good. Lee acted like he had never faught a damn round in his life...WTF?

I don't know... I think Chavez Jr will take that one too.. He is a good fighter. Martinez is a BEAST though..

If ya don't have the link Valerie gave us.. you can watch the fight for free at...

firstrowsports

I watched the Bradley/Pac fight on it..
  • Trey
  • 06-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Lopez did great for a fill in fighter. I am kinda happy he won and hope to see more of him. Ortiz is kinda dirty and not my favorite fighter.
It's a damn shame Mayweather has to sit in jail for 90 days or however much time he got. You know they're not feeding him right in there and he can't be getting the type of workout an elite athlete needs. It's going to be interesting to see if his 34 year-old body can get back to the level he was at once he does get out and gets back in the ring.
You kidding me, are you standing up for this crybaby? He has the same opportunity to eat as all the rest of the inmates do. Money is just not used to being treated as a common person. Guess he should have thought about conditions inside jail before beating the crap out of his girlfriend and violently threatening his own kids.

At least Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa saw through his bullshit.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/judge-rules...158981615.html
Lopez did great for a fill in fighter. I am kinda happy he won and hope to see more of him. Ortiz is kinda dirty and not my favorite fighter. Originally Posted by trey
I am glad someone is calling Ortiz out for what he does. Kinda dirty, to me, is scratching the surface.
You kidding me, are you standing up for this crybaby? He has the same opportunity to eat as all the rest of the inmates do. Money is just not used to being treated as a common person. Guess he should have thought about conditions inside jail before beating the crap out of his girlfriend and violently threatening his own kids.

At least Las Vegas Justice of the Peace Melissa Saragosa saw through his bullshit.
http://www.lvrj.com/news/judge-rules...158981615.html Originally Posted by O'Mike
I'm not standing up for mayweather I'm just saying I don't want this to change the level that he's able to perform. Love him or hate him, you still have to respect his accomplishments and his story. He's been through some really raw, hardcore shit and literally fought his way to the top. The dude's got heart on top of heart, if nothing else.
Did you see Chavez KO Lee's ass?? That was a halarious few minutes~~ Lee had NO chance at all.. Originally Posted by NIKKILOVE
Chavez is a big middleweight. Lee's shots didn't slow him down at all. I think he'll give Martinez some trouble with his size. However, Martinez skills and conditioning will allow him to take decision or late round stoppage.

I notice some fans are calling Ortiz a quitter since he couldn't continue with his broken jaw. He deserved that rep when he quit against Maidana but fighting with a broken jaw?
There were a bunch of good fights this past weekend.
Good fights coming up this weekend on showtime.

k9 bundrage vs cory spinks
erislandy lara vs. freddy hernandez

Bundrage and Lara are both trying to land a fight with Canelo Alvaraz sept15th, so these should be interesting fights.
I'm not standing up for mayweather I'm just saying I don't want this to change the level that he's able to perform. Love him or hate him, you still have to respect his accomplishments and his story. He's been through some really raw, hardcore shit and literally fought his way to the top. The dude's got heart on top of heart, if nothing else. Originally Posted by Sweet Discretion
I have SUCH a love/hate relationship with Mayweather. Technically, he is a very VERY gifted fighter. Great hand speed. Great hand/eye coordination. His shoulder roll defense is the best I've ever seen with my own eyes...maybe the best of all time...

But, he grinds my gears like NOBODY else in the fight game today. I simply can't/won't call him a great fighter or consider him amongst the elites of the sport!! In terms of being a fighter...he's not even the best in his own family. Roger would kick his ass any day of the week & twice on Sunday. Black Mamba was the TRUTH!!

In terms of why I don't rate him amongst the greats...IMO...he won't take the risks it takes to be great. He gets ahead...& fights for the decision as opposed to finishing off the opponent. As for the 'scalps' on his resume...most of the names he's fought were smaller...slower...or both. The rest...he didn't fight a single one of them on the upside of their career. Sadly, even if Mayweather v. Pacqiou does occur...it won't count for much to change that. Already WAY to late in both men's careers....

For those two reasons alone...please, don't defend the brother by saying he's got heart! You can talk about his skills...his money...his public persona. But , don't go there! Dude is the TIN MAN of heart!!!
Except for PPV, is boxing even on at all? They used to have fights on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and the weekends on ABC, ESPN, USA, HBO, SHO others throughout the 80s to mid-2000. I could tell you the top contenders and champs from Lightweight to Heavyweight in most of the Federations. Now nothing.

MMA is all over the place. "Real World" like training shows on Spike. But I couldn't tell you a lot of the top guys in the divisions (or more than one or two federations) because many of these top guys are lucky if their careers last 12 fights. Do any of the champions hold their belts more than 2 defenses? Then the toll of MMA causes them to disappear.

Gone are the days when you could watch a Sugar Ray or Roy Jones start from the Olympic qualifiers to a medal to their professional debut to the 3 - 5 years till a title shot and then defending/winning titles for 5 - 8 years. And mostly for free!
I have SUCH a love/hate relationship with Mayweather. Technically, he is a very VERY gifted fighter. Great hand speed. Great hand/eye coordination. His shoulder roll defense is the best I've ever seen with my own eyes...maybe the best of all time...

But, he grinds my gears like NOBODY else in the fight game today. I simply can't/won't call him a great fighter or consider him amongst the elites of the sport!! In terms of being a fighter...he's not even the best in his own family. Roger would kick his ass any day of the week & twice on Sunday. Black Mamba was the TRUTH!!

In terms of why I don't rate him amongst the greats...IMO...he won't take the risks it takes to be great. He gets ahead...& fights for the decision as opposed to finishing off the opponent. As for the 'scalps' on his resume...most of the names he's fought were smaller...slower...or both. The rest...he didn't fight a single one of them on the upside of their career. Sadly, even if Mayweather v. Pacqiou does occur...it won't count for much to change that. Already WAY to late in both men's careers....

For those two reasons alone...please, don't defend the brother by saying he's got heart! You can talk about his skills...his money...his public persona. But , don't go there! Dude is the TIN MAN of heart!!! Originally Posted by Sisyphus
Finally someone who shares the same thoughts. I have always said that Mayweather doesn't fight good fighters or fights boxers who are passed their prime. That's like putting Kobe and MJ in a game of basketball. Who do you think will win?

Canelo Alvarez is a rising star and he has challenged Mayweather.... Lets see when that fight happens.

For those two reasons alone...please, don't defend the brother by saying he's got heart! You can talk about his skills...his money...his public persona. But , don't go there! Dude is the TIN MAN of heart!!! Originally Posted by Sisyphus
I agree with most of what you say, but what I was referring to when I said he has heart is his dedication to winning. You must admit, the man works damn hard. I used to box and I know how hard it is to train for a fight. It is HARD HARD WORK, and this guy's been doing it and winning for how many years now? That's not a coincidence. That being said, I'm not a Mayweather fan. I think I've rooted against him in every fight, lol.