the printer ink scam continues

This has got to be one of the biggest scams ever by major corporations.

I just paid $ 75 for 2 cartridges, one black and one for color. They will probably last 3 weeks.

Estimated cost to the company for a little ink and the cartridges: $ 5
Your estimate on production cost might even be a bit high.

My solution a few years back was to buy a nice color laser that you can swap the chips from cheap amazon replacement toner with the oem and use whatever you want. It needs replaced so I need to do some research and see what models this can still be done with but that is what has kept me in cheap printing for a while now
Maybe you should take up a new side hobby refueling them. I bought a kit once it works ok but was messing I got ink ever where and toss the printer.
Second look at eBay, Walmart, Amazon all have deals on OEM and recondition no mess. I sell my use one on eBay I save up 20 and sell them for around $20 to $40 plus shipping better than the Groupon by back at the office supply.
I have bought lots of reconditioned cartidges. Most are fine. Some are not, but overall you can save a lot of $$.
Costco sometimes has good deals on Epson Ecotank too. I think that is what its called. My friend buys them and says they are good and ink is way cheaper.
  • jurij
  • 06-19-2024, 01:02 PM
I buy not original cartidges for pennies. Original cost half price of printer
HP is now kinda enforcing using HP-authorized cartridges, maybe something about the warranty?

that said, i have had 3-4 HP printers since 1998. they last about 4-5yrs on average. originally, mine had Fax capability since i needed to fax stuff. last two are just print, copy, scan (to PC or to USB) w/ flatbed & document feed.

yep, the cartridges are getting expensive.
then, they came out with HP Instant Ink - use their "special" cartridges, they monitor ink levels and order automatically. or you can order manually.
i did a price comparison on store bought HP carts versus their monthly charge - Instant Ink won out.

your printing must vary.

epson ecotank https://epson.com/ecotank-ink-tank-printers
look good, but 2-3x the price of my HP.
I bought a Xerox Phaser 6500 years ago and it has been great. Yes, the toner cartridges are expensive. But it can sit for weeks at a time without use, then fire up and print a single page beautifully. No clogged jets or wasted ink.

Figure out how much ink is in one of those little ink cartridges. Then figure out how much it would cost to fill up your car’s gas tank with that ink. I’m guessing you will be in the $5,000 - $10,000 range. That should help put it in perspective.