Oldie but Goodie reminder Self Defense Ladies and Gents

Ladies and Gents I encourage you to learn some self defense techniques. All you need is a few moves and you can escape. Please do not take this hobby for granted. Take a stroll in the alerts section to understand the need. On this site I am only aware of Apollo Steele who offers advice and teaches self defense. This topic was brought up twice last year and I figure why not again.Topic 1 and Topic 2

If there are other instructors post here or pm me and I will add your name to this thread. For those with a CHL, I still reccomend learning self defense. What if you can't reach for your gun or it malfunctions

Again do not take anything for Granted
When I was in college we sponsored a self-defense class for women. I was horrified how few of the attendees had any training. The gentlemen that taught the class left some of them a bit shaken with his techniques (i.e. if you're face-to-face with your attacker plunge a thumb into each of his eye sockets and tear his eyes out) but he would ask them to consider the alternative.
I agree with txcowboy, those self defense techniques if rules are involved. That way of thinking is outdated and out of touch with todays world. Krav maga and Brazilian jiu-jitsu are relatable to this environment.
Good reminder! Before I invest much in self defense, I would beef up screening/pre-planning. Avoid first, escape second, negotiate third, and confront as a last resort.
Good reminder! Before I invest much in self defense, I would beef up screening/pre-planning. Avoid first, escape second, negotiate third, and confront as a last resort. Originally Posted by slowmover
COrrection slowmover. Imho a provider would be playing russian roulette to not know self defense. Screening and what not are very important but not knowing self defense is crazy ijs
Ladies, you are responsible for your own safety. Learn to be aware of your surroundings, and, yes, learn to defend yourself. I have two friends who are providers who have been raped. Hard considerations, but necessary, not just by women who provide, but all women.
As an ex-cabbie and longtime bar musician, I'm telling you, it pays to know a little. Hopefully, you will never have to use it (I only used it twice), but as Txcwby6 says, consider the alternatives!!!
I agree with txcowboy, those self defense techniques if rules are involved. That way of thinking is outdated and out of touch with todays world. Krav maga and Brazilian jiu-jitsu are relatable to this environment. Originally Posted by ApolloSteele
I took Krav Maga for 2 years. It's very grueling and I got hurt a lot, but I agree that it is the most functional form of self-defense available. We practiced a lot of real-life situations. You learn to deal with multiple attackers and worse-case scenarios. They take the most practical techniques from all the other fighting disciplines and then you cheat. Brazilian Jiu jitsu is great too but Krav focuses more on staying off the ground and getting away. I would still be taking it but I reactivated an old knee and shoulder injury. I learned a lot from that experience.
COrrection slowmover. Imho a provider would be playing russian roulette to not know self defense. Screening and what not are very important but not knowing self defense is crazy ijs Originally Posted by Thatdude
I was not saying don't learn some self defense. My point was do EVERYTHING to avoid the need for self defense. Once you engage in it, there IS the possibility of a bad outcome.
Is there someone in this loop that would be willing and competent to offer low-cost or free self defense classes? Maybe just a few classes to teach the basics?
Learning self defense is a great idea but for many people, they need to start with realizing their environment and not assuming that they are safe.

And I am not just talking about being a provider...

Many common sense things can save your life if you practive them...
*having your keys out when walking to car and holding them as a weapon
*find and use your voice to scream... help maynot work, but many people respond to fire , i taught my child to throw a tantrum, fall on the floor and yell "you not my daddy"
* learn to look into and under your car before getting into it...
*fight back with a purpose, eyes, nose, adams apple, nuts and shin.

I grew up in DC and didnt take nothing for granted....
Is there someone in this loop that would be willing and competent to offer low-cost or free self defense classes? Maybe just a few classes to teach the basics? Originally Posted by desi.snakes
Desi Two gents you can contact via pm and ask individual questions. Apollo Steele and that1guy0 . If I run across more gents or ladies who are instructors on Eccie I will post accordingly

Euphemia I agree with you

Slowmover lost in translation earlier but we are both in agreement
Good reminder! Before I invest much in self defense, I would beef up screening/pre-planning. Avoid first, escape second, negotiate third, and confront as a last resort. Originally Posted by slowmover
This is the most intelligent post on this topic I have seen in all of my time here. This should be everyone's mantra.
Two other points to consider, based on statistics:

1. If you carry a gun, you increase your odds of getting shot.

2. If you have a caustic spray (pepper, mace, etc.) you increase your chances of getting away.

If you are in a worst case scenario and are under the physical control of an assailant, knowing a couple of the techniques that ApolloSteele and The Wanderer refer to may save you. You must not fight as expected. There is no such thing as cheating when you're under attack. Your goal is to cause extreme pain and escape, with no rules.

Be smart.
The goal of this thread is to bring awareness of self defensive tactics to get away and not be superwoman or superman. Also I misread Slowmover quotes but he is correct avoidance is always best. Lust4xxxx right on as well