My Avatar Says it all!

I have changed my Avatar to "gone fishin'". Taking fly fishing lessons (after the Ideas Festival) by myself next week and I'm super excited to do it.

Anyone who has gone to Aspen from Denver (I know, I should have flown: I'm meeting a friend who needs to aclimate to the altitude and we're going to enjoy the drive) - anyway - how scary is Independence Pass? Because of the aclimation period, we'll take the freeway going there; but what about going back? Is it too scary? I'm not a very good driver - well, without the right tools, that is - and I will be primarily responsible for the driving. I'm nervous to drive Independence pass back; should I be?
In the summer, no problems. Your biggest problem will be parking in Aspen.

Driving from Denver to Aspen won't help with altitude sickness. You need at least 24 hours at Denver and another 24 at Aspen. Get a Rx for diamox (acetazolamide).

Enjoy yourself and use lots of sunscreen.
Here is another avatar if you need it.

I drive the pass every summer and have for most of my life (I'm in my early 50's) and if you don't like heights don't do it. Several spots you will be on the outside lane with cliffs and nothing in between you and gravity on a very narrow two lane road. I actually go back and forth many times to the Arkansas river and you will see raft companies in busses pulling trailers piled with rafts. It's not bad but like I said if you don't like heights its not worth the time saved. Having said that it is one of the pretiest drives in America.

Houman
I always fly into Vail when I head to the Colorado Rockies. It’s a little more expensive and the landing is pretty hairy especially in the winter, but the drive is about an hour to an hour and a half as opposed to three to four hours to anywhere in Summit County.

I’ve had altitude sickness. Diuretics solved the problem within a couple of hours.
I always fly into Vail when I head to the Colorado Rockies. It’s a little more expensive and the landing is pretty hairy especially in the winter, . Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
I hear things have changed in the last ten years.
I hear things have changed in the last ten years. Originally Posted by Sydneyb
No, winter landings high in the Rockies are still a bit rough. Some things don’t change. As it happens, you are correct; I have skied Telluride and Whistler more recently than anywhere in Summit County. I skied and hiked Taos last year though I can’t’ say I enjoyed it nearly as much as Colorado or Canada.

Enjoy your trip and the festival. I love the Rockies in the summer. I’ve never spent any time in Aspen. My ex-husband and I had a time share in Breckenridge. It’s amazing there in the summer: dry, in the80’s and the columbines are everywhere.
As a related sidenote:

Is there a way on this new board to block someone's comments and PM's? It would be a useful tool for unuseful tools.
I drive the pass every summer and have for most of my life (I'm in my early 50's) and if you don't like heights don't do it. .... It's not bad but like I said if you don't like heights its not worth the time saved. Having said that it is one of the pretiest drives in America.

Houman Originally Posted by Houman
Okay - I'm a little scared of heights; but I'm going to try it anyway! Hertz rocks and upgraded the car like 3 categories, so I feel sturdy in the little SUV they gave me. Thank you for your comments - it helped make a decision.
As a related sidenote:

Is there a way on this new board to block someone's comments and PM's? It would be a useful tool for unuseful tools. Originally Posted by Sydneyb
On the left hand side of the page towards the top click on User Cp
Under that you will find Edit Ignore List
As a related sidenote:

Is there a way on this new board to block someone's comments and PM's? It would be a useful tool for unuseful tools. Originally Posted by Sydneyb
DG is correct. There is much you can do within your CP. However, you cannot edit out someone's publically posted comments.
Thank you for your help, gentleman.

Sustainable Capitalism. My favorite discussion panel of the day. Plus, I totally want to fuck David Blood. I also really dig the concept - and actuality - of doing whats right (creating sustainable business models) AND making money. Anyone think these are mutually exclusive concepts?

Since my threads have no overpowering subject manner, you're free to diverge. I will be learning the intricacies of fly fishing shortly. Any suggestions on that?
I also really dig the concept - and actuality - of doing whats right (creating sustainable business models) AND making money. Anyone think these are mutually exclusive concepts? Originally Posted by Sydneyb
I'm pollyanna enough to believe it's possible but not naive enough to believe it is the way it's done by most of the very rich - say a billion or more.
I will be learning the intricacies of fly fishing shortly. Any suggestions on that? Originally Posted by Sydneyb
Keep the hook out of your ass (and other body parts). And have a good time!!
Sustainable Capitalism. My favorite discussion panel of the day. Originally Posted by Sydneyb
And what do YOU mean by "Sustainable Capitalism"?