STD Testing

I utilized the services of STD Express (http://www.stdtestexpress.com) this past week and thought I'd pass on my impressions.

On the plus side, it was a fairly turnkey process. You order online, they communicate with you via e-mail, and you walk into a test location at your convenience. Results were available within 3 business days.

On the minus side, there were no test locations in the Rochester area. One has to travel about an hour east or west to have the blood draw. They market the service as though it is completely anonymous, but, more devious minds than mine would have to figure out how to go about this since payment was by credit card.

Most negative, they actually withheld sending my results until I made an appointment with a counselor for a phone consult. I specifically inquired if I could receive my results without such an apointment and they would not comply. I suspect this covers them legally somehow, and, the results were sent once I made the appointment. This, even though the results came back all negative. Once I had the results I just shut off my phone for the time they were to call. They make 3 attempts and then they stop calling.

Pricing was reasonable, IMHO. $299 for blood and urine testing for
Chlamydia
Hepatitis B
Herpes l
HIV-1 Antibody Test
Gonorrhea
Hepatitis C
Herpes ll
Syphilis

Same battery of tests with early HIV goes for $499

Their report could be more user friendly. In all likelihood, I will use them again.
I believe the counseling session is to comply with NY State regulations. I know other online testing services simply refuse to offer services in NY.

The price is quite reasonable considering if you were insured with a large deductible type policy, the testing would cost more through insurance, as I have learned.

Congrats on passing your tests Qix!

Present the results to your favorite provider for a special gift... or just the same services you would have received anyway with just a little more peace of mind. Stay safe everyone!
There's a thread in the "other reviews' on how to get it done at no charge.

Good thing to post as an option. Keep those private parts clean.
I did the same. My primary doctor is getting less and less understanding of my requests for testing. Screw you Doc!

stdtestexpress.com was pretty easy, but again, no Rochester labs to use. Maybe that's a good thing if you want to go unnoticed. I drove to the Buffalo area for the "draw". They claim no ID required and you can pay with cash but the lab insisted on photo ID and credit card payment. You prepay a portion to stdtestexpress.com when you order and pay the balance at the lab. I had 8 negatives and was not asked for a consult. I simply logged in and there was my report.

I know Normal Bob went to the county health dept and was tested for free. I am reluctant to have any government in my private matters. Just my preference (or paranoia).
I did the county health thing once as well. Did not care for the possibility of running into someone I know and the mandatory counseling was a pain. I also went to Buffalo and that was fine with me. As for the cost, this isn't exactly an inexpensive hobby and I consider it just one less provider visit every 3 months. Others may disagree, and that's fine. This works for me.
If you all didn't know, planned parenthood does testing for a very reasonable price too. Only a couple of hundred dollars. You can set up an appointment online and then just walk in for it and there a couple of locations right here in roch. Super easy and relatively private. And being planned parenthood, I don't feel like I'm being judged for being there. So I like that part too.
If you all didn't know, planned parenthood does testing for a very reasonable price too. Only a couple of hundred dollars. You can set up an appointment online and then just walk in for it and there a couple of locations right here in roch. Super easy and relatively private. And being planned parenthood, I don't feel like I'm being judged for being there. So I like that part too. Originally Posted by onlyyoungonce
I like planned parenthood....
The great part about going there (to me) is that I can say "I have multiple partners," and not be given the look.

lol
good to know that PP allows to set it up on line....do they take ins? back with my an xgf and she wants me to get the full test before we got back to not using covers and I agreed and told her when I was last with a SP and will plan out 4 months from that date.

do that sound like a plan?
I like planned parenthood....
The great part about going there (to me) is that I can say "I have multiple partners," and not be given the look.

lol Originally Posted by SweetElizabeth
Exactly! They recognize that I'm a human being and not a reincarnated saint.
good to know that PP allows to set it up on line....do they take ins? back with my an xgf and she wants me to get the full test before we got back to not using covers and I agreed and told her when I was last with a SP and will plan out 4 months from that date.

do that sound like a plan? Originally Posted by soldierboy44
Yes they take insurance. My last test cost like 30 bucks after insurance.