Senate rebukes Trump’s emergency. 59-41

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...mps-first-veto

Senate rejects border declaration in major rebuke of Trump

BY JORDAIN CARNEY 5,727
TWEET SHARE MORE

The Senate voted on Thursday to nix President Trump’s national emergency declaration to construct the U.S.-Mexico border wall, setting up the first veto battle with his White House.

Senators voted 59-41 to pass the resolution of disapproval blocking Trump’s declaration. Underscoring the broad base of concern over Trump’s actions within the Republican caucus, 12 GOP senators broke rank and voted with all the Democrats.

The measure passed the House last month, 245-182.

The resolution now heads to Trump’s desk, where he is expected to use the first veto of his presidency to defeat it. Neither chamber has the vote override the president.

Trump made an 11th hour plea to Republican senators, reiterating his pledge to veto the resolution and signaling he could be open to future changes to his emergency powers and even accusing Democrats who voted yes of standing with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.).

“Prominent legal scholars agree that our actions to address the National Emergency at the Southern Border and to protect the American people are both CONSTITUTIONAL and EXPRESSLY authorized by Congress....” Trump said in a string of tweets.

But that argument failed to squash the momentum behind the resolution, which garnered support from various factions of the GOP caucus, including moderates and libertarian-leaning senators.

The vote marks a significant setback for Trump, who has made his pledge to build the wall a focal point of his presidency. And it’s the second rebuke for Trump in as many days after the Senate broke with him on support for Saudi Arabia on Wednesday.

Republicans have been wary of breaking with Trump on border security but raised significant concerns about separation of powers questions sparked by his emergency declaration. GOP supporters of the resolution, such as Maine Sen. Susan Collins, cast their vote not as a rebuke of Trump’s border wall but instead a constitutional question about Congress’s role in funding the government.

“That is why this issue is not about strengthening our border security, a goal that I support and have voted to advance. ...It is a solemn occasion involving whether or not this body will stand up for its institutional prerogatives and will support the separation of powers enshrined in our Constitution,” Collins said. “We must stand up and defend Congress’s institutional powers as the framers intended that we would. Even when doing so is inconvenient or goes against the outcome that we might prefer.”

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), who is retiring at the end of the current Congress, argued that a vote against the emergency declaration was a “check on the executive [that] is a crucial source of our freedom.”

In addition to Alexander and Collins, GOP Sens. Mike Lee (Utah), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska), Roy Blunt (Mo.), Rand Paul (Ky.), Pat Toomey (Pa.), Rob Portman (Ohio), Jerry Moran (Kan.), Marco Rubio (Fla.), Roger Wicker (Miss.) and Mitt Romney (Utah) voted for the resolution blocking Trump’s emergency declaration.

Republicans went down to the wire as they scrambled to find an off ramp to the showdown with Trump, who remains popular with the party’s base.

Several last-minute attempts — ranging from an alternative GOP proposal to killing the resolution of disapproval in exchange for future checks on emergency powers — fell flat. Though Alexander and Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) were still shopping their alternative proposal a day before the vote, leadership locked in a deal to avoid amendments, ensuring the House-passed bill would be what the Senate voted on.

Sen. John Kennedy (R-La.), emerging from a closed-door lunch Wednesday, signaled that Republicans were running out of options, telling reporters: “Everybody knows how they’re going to vote. I don’t think the president’s going to win this one.”

But underscoring the level of concerns among Republicans, a group of GOP senators, including Sen. Lindsey Graham (S.C.), reportedly went to the White House on Thursday night and tried to pitch Trump, unsuccessfully, on an escape hatch that would let them avoid handing him an embarrassing defeat over the border wall.

Republicans were crucially able to keep the number of yes votes below 67, the number needed to override a veto. Though a challenge to Trump’s veto is expected to die in the House, having roughly 20 GOP senators break with the president would have set up an embarrassing setback that would spark new questions about his hold on the caucus.

Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has made no secret of the fact that Trump’s emergency declaration has sparked fierce, lengthy discussions within the caucus. But he urged his caucus to support Trump, arguing that there was a “border security and humanitarian crisis on the southern border.”

“It’s no secret I take the Senate as an institution extremely seriously. I take the separation of powers extremely seriously. And I take Congress’s prerogative over appropriations extremely seriously. But — as I argued yesterday in the context of the Yemen resolution — the Senate should not be in the business of misusing specific resolutions to express opinions on more general matters,” McConnell said.

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), a close ally of Trump’s, also knocked Democrats for their “howls of outrage” against the White House.

“We have reached a moment of crisis, but it’s not a constitutional crisis. It’s a crisis at the border, a crisis of American sovereignty. When hundreds of thousands of foreigners arrive at the southern border and demand entry, that’s not migration. That an emergency,” he said.

But Trump’s allies were unable to sway enough Republicans. Only four GOP yes votes were needed with all 47 Democrats voting for the resolution. Democrats, speaking from the floor ahead of the vote, characterized it as one of the most consequential they have taken and urged GOP senators to buck Trump.

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) said that Thursday's vote could be “more difficult” for Republicans given Trump’s penchant for “threatening, bullying or publicly castigating members of his own party.”

“But I would say to them, I would say to every Republican, there are times when loyalty to America, to our Constitution, to our principles, to what has made this country great should lead members to rise above, rise to the occasion,” he said. “I hope, I pray this moment is one of those times.”
  • grean
  • 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM
I do hope the votes appear to override his veto.

It's an overreach of power.
VETO POWER

MAGA
  • grean
  • 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM
The next democratic president will by EO approve single payer healthcare or it may be an emergency to raise the minimum wage....
  • grean
  • 03-14-2019, 01:34 PM
If you're for the wall, it seems like a good thing now.

Imagine the most reckless overreach by executive order you can by a liberal president. This allows that to happen as well.
I do hope the votes appear to override his veto.

It's an overreach of power. Originally Posted by grean
Bad law written by weak-ass Congressmen who are too fucking scared they'll be held accountable for their decisions.

Their bluff is being called.

Either their law will stand muster with the Supreme Court, or, more likely, the Supreme Court will rule the law unconstitutional telling the weak-ass congress to do their fucking jobs leaving them to scramble in order to deal with the consequences of that law being overturned. Several prior presidents -- Odumbo, etc. -- have declared emergencies that are still ongoing and financed by U.S. taxpayers.
The next democratic president will by EO approve single payer healthcare or it may be an emergency to raise the minimum wage.... Originally Posted by grean
You need to research the law a little more...there is no equivalence here.
You're trying to say that the president is a dictator...that he's not!!
  • grean
  • 03-14-2019, 01:48 PM
You need to research the law a little more...there is no equivalence here. Originally Posted by bb1961
I was not attempting to equate anything, I just used two liberal ideas that Republicans hate.

Pick anything else and substitute those for my examples. My point is that this is setting a precedent that most certainly will be used by future presidents. You will feel that the president is over reaching then.

The money has to be controlled by congress.
I was not attempting to equate anything, I just used two liberal ideas that Republicans hate.

Pick anything else and substitute those for my examples. My point is that this is setting a precedent that most certainly will be used by future presidents. You will feel that the president is over reaching then.

The money has to be controlled by congress.
Originally Posted by grean
Congress abdicated its control when they passed that law.
  • grean
  • 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Congress abdicated its control when they passed that law. Originally Posted by I B Hankering
Well it's time they took it back.
Well it's time they took it back. Originally Posted by grean
Oh, the irony that Congress will have to sue and have one of its own laws declared unconstitutional; thus, requiring them to do the job they were elected to do.
That speaks volumes. Some of these Republicans must want to get reelected. The 38% die hard Trumps have had a new reality since Nancy took over. Good to see the Senate is finally taking up for America instead of that punk ass bitch Trump
That speaks volumes. Some of these Republicans must want to get reelected. The 38% die hard Trumps have had a new reality since Nancy took over. Good to see the Senate is finally taking up for America instead of that punk ass bitch Trump Originally Posted by themystic
Is that so SC???
SC was all over this forum day in and day out for the longest time...and now not so much...but you on the other hand. When you were scares on the forum...SC was up...now SC is scares and your up...Hummm
SC and TM are rabid left wingers that talk a lot of nonsense trash...strange quite strange!!
Is that so SC???
SC was all over this forum day in and day out for the longest time...and now not so much...but you on the other hand. When you were scares on the forum...SC was up...now SC is scares and your up...Hummm Originally Posted by bb1961
SC is my Brother, not my alter ego or handle. You better wash that foul mouth out with something besides Lustys love juice
SC is my Brother, not my alter ego or handle. You better wash that foul mouth out with something besides Lustys love juice Originally Posted by themystic
Yeah the "olive branch" brother.