Guns don't kill people... Two year olds in the Wal-Mart do! Another senseless death.

This is tragic, shocking and altogether outrageous.

The kid was able to pull the gun out of the UNZIPPED safety pocket in the purse and defeat the safety on the weapon. In the Wal-Mart.

Shit happens, right?

What an horrific waste!

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...le5222166.html

Boy in shooting 'unzipped' special purse gun pocket

BY NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS
ASSOCIATED PRESS
01/01/2015 1:06 PM 01/01/2015 1:06 PM

An Idaho State Patrol officer arrives at Wal-Mart in Hayden, Idaho, Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014. A 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mother after he reached into her purse at the northern Idaho Wal-Mart and her concealed gun fired, authorities said Tuesday.

An Idaho State Patrol officer arrives at Wal-Mart in Hayden, Idaho, Tuesday, Dec. 30, 2014. A 2-year-old boy accidentally shot and killed his mother after he reached into her purse at the northern Idaho Wal-Mart and her concealed gun fired, authorities said Tuesday.

Concealed weapons are part of everyday life in Idaho, and that's unlikely to change in the Mountain West state despite a shocking accident in which a 2-year-old boy reached into his mother's purse, got ahold of her gun and shot her in the head inside a Wal-Mart.

Veronica J. Rutledge, 29, was shopping Tuesday morning with her son and three nieces in Hayden, Idaho, when the small-caliber handgun discharged one time, killing her.

Terry Rutledge, Veronica's father-in-law, told The Spokesman-Review that the boy unzipped the special gun compartment in the woman's purse where the weapon was kept while she was looking at clothing.

Terry Rutledge said his daughter-in-law did not put the weapon "loosely into her purse."

Victoria Rutledge had a concealed weapons permit, and guns were a big part of Rutledge's life, her father-in-law said.

"She was not the least bit irresponsible," Terry Rutledge said in a brief interview with The Associated Press. He complained about people using the incident to attack his daughter-in-law.

Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother's purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff's office said.

The manager of the store, who was nearby when the shot was fired, stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff's office said. The manager and other employees secured the scene and evacuated customers.

The woman's purse was new and was designed to carry a concealed firearm, the sheriff's office said. Detectives continue to analyze video from the store, examine the weapon and interview witnesses, the sheriff's office added.

Terry Rutledge told The Washington Post that Veronica Rutledge and her husband practiced at shooting ranges and each had a concealed weapons permit. He said for Christmas this year, her husband gave her the purse with a special zippered pocket for a concealed weapon.

About 7 percent of adults in Idaho had concealed weapons permits at the end of 2012, according to the Crime Prevention Research Center in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. That ranked Idaho among the top third of states.

Kootenai County, which has about 140,000 residents, has issued close to 16,000 concealed weapons permits, Kootenai County sheriff's spokesman Stu Miller said Wednesday.

"It's very commonplace in northern Idaho for folks to have a concealed weapons permit," Miller said, and most businesses do not prohibit firearms.

Veronica Rutledge lived in Blackfoot, in southeastern Idaho, and her family had come to the Hayden area to visit relatives for Christmas.

She was an employee of the Idaho National Laboratory near Idaho Falls, Idaho, where she was a nuclear scientist. The laboratory supports the U.S. Department of Energy in nuclear and energy research and national defense.

"We're deeply saddened by this tragedy," said Nicole Stricker, a spokeswoman for the lab.

Rutledge graduated from high school in Harrison, a lakeside town in the Idaho Panhandle. She was the valedictorian of her class. She graduated from the University of Idaho with a degree in chemistry.

She had taken the children to Wal-Mart on Tuesday morning to spend their Christmas gift cards, family members said. Her young son, her only child, was in a shopping cart.

Responding deputies found Rutledge dead in the electronics section of the Wal-Mart in Hayden, a rural town of about 12,000 people 40 miles northeast of Spokane.

Colt Rutledge, 32, arrived at the store in Idaho's northern panhandle shortly after the shooting around 10:20 a.m. Tuesday, Miller said. All the children were taken to a relative's house.

Officers viewed surveillance video provided by the store to determine what happened, Miller said.

Like other Western states, gun rights are a big issue in Idaho. State lawmakers passed legislation earlier this year allowing concealed weapons on the state's public college and university campuses. Despite facing opposition from all eight of the state's university college presidents, lawmakers sided with gun-rights advocates who said the law would better uphold the Second Amendment.

Terry Rutledge told the AP that his daughter-in-law "was a beautiful, young, loving mother."

"She was taken much too soon," he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...#storylink=cpy
Thanks for pointing out the tragedy... Shit Eater
You're welcome, SLOBBRIN.

How can we prevent shit like this from happening seemingly every day?

How can we prevent shit like this from happening seemingly every day? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Ban Walmart?
Excellent! LMAO!
Ban Walmart? Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Let's Ban the Mainstream Media. What you don't know won't bother ya, lol.

Jim
I won't get on my knees to read FuckZup but from what I see in the quotes he is a day late and brain cell short again.

What happened here was a senseless, stupid tragedy caused by the woman who stored a pistol in her purse poorly. No amount of gun control, other than outright confiscation, would have changed anything. I am not aware of a two year old that can reach around a grip with enough force to squeeze a double action revolver or automatic. The case had to be that the pistol was cocked and in her purse. Do you know why John Wayne never carried a gun that was cocked in his holster? She didn't. So this was her fault and FuckZup should be (but I don't think he has the character) ashamed of making light of her death.

I am not aware of a two year old that can reach around a grip with enough force to squeeze a double action revolver or automatic. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
This portion of the story somewhat refutes your theory:

"Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother's purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff's office said.

The manager of the store, who was nearby when the shot was fired, stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff's office said."

Although the story does make it sound as though the 2-year-old intentionally pointed the pistol at her head and fired.
This portion of the story somewhat refutes your theory:

"Meanwhile, the Kootenai County Sheriff's Office on Wednesday afternoon released a few more details about the incident. The boy removed the 9mm semi-automatic handgun from his mother's purse and shot her once in the head, killing her instantly, the sheriff's office said.

The manager of the store, who was nearby when the shot was fired, stepped in and took the firearm from the child, the sheriff's office said."

Although the story does make it sound as though the 2-year-old intentionally pointed the pistol at her head and fired. Originally Posted by LexusLover

No, this doesn't dispute anything that I said. I wrote about a double action pistol that was NOT cocked. It would require that a two year get enough leverage and strength to do both on an uncocked pistol. As I mention at the end, if she had a pistol in her purse COCKED then that is on her.

How can we prevent shit like this from happening seemingly every day? Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

its called an accident..
No, this doesn't dispute anything that I said. I wrote about a double action pistol that was NOT cocked. It would require that a two year get enough leverage and strength to do both on an uncocked pistol. As I mention at the end, if she had a pistol in her purse COCKED then that is on her. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Apparently, according to the eye witness report the child had enough "strength" to discharge the weapon while the muzzle was pointed at the victim's head.

All your shit is speculation.

For instance: Do you know the make/model of weapon?

For instance: I have a pistol that cannot be fired PERIOD under one set of circumstance with a round in the chamber.

There is a comment in this article about the victim having recently bought a new purse with a zipped pocket in it for a concealed handgun. Since it was new to her it is POSSIBLE that when she inserted the weapon into the pocket unbeknowingly she inadvertently forced the hammer back (if it had a "hammer) and when the child extracted the weapon inadvertently placed a finger on the trigger (you also "speculate" as to the "trigger pull" pressure necessary to discharge the weapon).

If the child can suck a thumb it could pull the trigger.
its called an accident.. Originally Posted by RALPHEY BOY
Any port in a storm for YR and the anti-gun crowd.
The tragedy of this is that we live in a society where the government has determined that protecting us from ourselves is more important than protecting us from the criminal element that causes us to need to protect ourselves from that element.

Apparently, according to the eye witness report the child had enough "strength" to discharge the weapon while the muzzle was pointed at the victim's head.

All your shit is speculation.

For instance: Do you know the make/model of weapon?

For instance: I have a pistol that cannot be fired PERIOD under one set of circumstance with a round in the chamber.

There is a comment in this article about the victim having recently bought a new purse with a zipped pocket in it for a concealed handgun. Since it was new to her it is POSSIBLE that when she inserted the weapon into the pocket unbeknowingly she inadvertently forced the hammer back (if it had a "hammer) and when the child extracted the weapon inadvertently placed a finger on the trigger (you also "speculate" as to the "trigger pull" pressure necessary to discharge the weapon).

If the child can suck a thumb it could pull the trigger. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Unspeakable tragedy.

Seems unlikely that a 2 year old could rack the slide on a pistol or pull the hammer back on any pistol or revolver. I also doubt a 2 year old could manipulate the trigger on a double-action pistol with the hammer down on a round...for instance a SIG....or that a 2 year old could manipulate the trigger on striker fired pistol with one up the pipe...for instance a Glock. I also don't see how it would be possible for someone to inadvertently cock a revolver while placing it in a CC purse pocket....but, people do fuck up in amazing ways.

I'm wondering if this was a 1911 configuration in condition one (one up the tube with the slide safety engaged) and the kid got the slide-safety off somehow? A 2 year old could manipulate a single action pistol trigger...or, as LL points out, a cocked revolver.
The tragedy of this is that we live in a society where the government has determined that protecting us from ourselves is more important than protecting us from the criminal element that causes us to need to protect ourselves from that element.

. Originally Posted by The2Dogs
The tragedy is that guns are so prevalent and available in our society due to overly paranoid idiots like you that 30,000 people a year die from gunshot wounds in the United States.