Hobby Phones, smartphones

So I've been a lurker here for a very long time. I have yet to review here, but I have reviewed a small percentage of my dalliances on a few scattered sites. I have finally decided that (for the most part) ECCIE covers most of my needs, but I travel extensively and geographically ECCIE is (at the moment) my go to site, but not the end all be all in all corners of the world. I now hope to be part of the solution in filling in as many gaps as I can (pun partially intended ;o))

All that said...

Hobby phones.
I have one and I hate it. I have become so dialed in to my regular life smartphone that my hobby phone is driving me nuts. I can't stand the thing. I hope this will grow in to a thread that will be a resource for all of us to improve our ability to covertly communicate in our hobby world as well as we do in our regular lives.

Here is my issue, I have an old iPhone (3g) that I want to use as my hobby phone. I also have a walmart att buy as you go phone that I cant even use because it is so 1998ish. I have seen some YouTube videos on slipping the chip from an att walmart phone in to an iPhone but I am skeptical that the videos aren't all that accurate. Does anyone have an iPhone set up in this manner and if so can you share the process or a link to a process you used that worked? I would be grateful and I think we could all benefit from having smartphone hobby capabilities.

Thanks in advance.
JJ
Post a link to the youtubes . . . Might actually work . . .
The entire object of a Hobby Phone is that it is totally untraceable back to a Human Being. It is registered to nobody.

Anything you do to make it more 'convienient', or 'cool', will only take away from this one major requirement that it fullfills.

Do what you want, but I will stick with my ole TracPhone.
Why not get a pay as go smart phone then?
  • Gucci
  • 12-29-2011, 06:19 AM
Those straight talk phones from Walmart are pretty cool the service isn't bad the phones are nice and I'd rate them three times better than boost mobile ( thats the wireless provider i once had gor my second phone) and they have very nice phones to choose from and Internet service that actually works.
You can get google voice on your smart phone. It is free.
You can also get a vumber number!
  • Gucci
  • 12-29-2011, 06:29 AM
Now that's what I currently use, I can call Texas and a number from Washington DC will appear on my phone. I love the fact that you can actually turn the texting on and off as well. It's a a great app especially if you want keep just one phone.
Regardless of the (smart or not) technology, beware of the "trap" of the not-so wise hobby smart phone.

Specifically, using any hobby phone smart or not to store anything of a personal or business nature unrelated to the hobby.

More specifically, using any smart phone app that might confuse, conjoin or misdirect personal or hobby information "across the lines" -- mis-sending your hobby links or data to someone in your family or in your business or vice versa.

If you really want a hobby smart phone:

imho, much better to "invest" in two smart phones and keeping one for public use (family, business, etc.) and the other smart phone for the hobby. That way you reduce the potential for significant damage or outing.

Yes, it will add to your monthly expenses somewhat, but consider what a divorce attorney or marital counseling might cost and the extra 30-40 bucks a months is very cheap "insurance."
Interesting responses and I sincerely appreciate the input.

To clarify, I do have a GoPhone and it is strictly and only for hobbying. There would never(ever) be something on it that could identify me (except for finger prints of course). The reason for starting this thread was to see if anyone had successfully put a GoPhone sim chip in to an iPhone to use as a pay as you go hobby phone (retaining the premise that it is and will only be a hobby phone). My reason for asking is that I have an old iPhone that is not being used, and a GoPhone that I can't get used to (almost missed an "appointment" because I couldn't remember how to answer the damn thing). It is easy enough to google and get information on how to do it, but I was hoping to find someone that actually has and can verify it really worked. I suppose in the end I will have to be that guy. I will give it a shot and for anyone interested I will post the results.

pyramider suggested I post some links so here they are in case some one else wants to try this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L0N2Feev7g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ7cfiXTiHw
http://osxdaily.com/2010/08/01/prepa...s-you-go-plan/

Thanks and Happy New Year!!!
Yep, Straight Talk has smart phones. They're about $180, not including your $45 a month unlimited service.. but you can still do a smart phone as a hobby phone. Just pay for everything with cash.

Vumber looks like an awesome option for me for a 3rd number that I can add to my current phone. Woohoo thanks, Zarah!
Zarah - do you use Vumber? How do you like it? I've seen you mention it a few times on here. That's not too bad.. $30 a month for 4 numbers that can ring to one phone.

Of course not everyone needs 4 numbers, and the 1 number option is $20 a month.. not too shabby for a little piece of mind.

Two things to note: Vumber does not have texting capability right now. They are working on that from what I've read. Another thing, vumber has an app to put on your smart phone. It looks like it works with the android and the iphone. Not sure about other types of smart phones.

Oh and as long as you have wi-fi or 3g, you can receive calls and make calls with Vumber. Google Voice you can't do that. If you have no cell reception or bad reception, chances are that you won't be getting your calls with Google Voice.

The one thing Google Voice has that Vumber doesn't is the texting option. But Google Voice also doesn't allow more than one number per forwarding cell phone number. That bites. Google Voice is free, but it seems like the $30 a month plan (what I would need) would be worth the features that Vumber offers.

Hmm....
Zarah - do you use Vumber? How do you like it? I've seen you mention it a few times on here. That's not too bad.. $30 a month for 4 numbers that can ring to one phone. Originally Posted by Tori Hastings

I have vumber and a google voice just to have it. Vumber costs me $14 a month for one number. I think when you add a number it's $3 extra a month. I don't keep track. I love that you can block blocked numbers from calling you, send calls to voicemail/another number and access cool features by just dialing a code. It's a cool service

Two things to note: Vumber does not have texting capability right now. They are working on that from what I've read. Another thing, vumber has an app to put on your smart phone. It looks like it works with the android and the iphone. Not sure about other types of smart phones.
I don't text clients and I advise those that list their number not to text either. It's a big waste of time but hey that's me. Probably one of the reason why I don't need that feature.

Oh and as long as you have wi-fi or 3g, you can receive calls and make calls with Vumber. Google Voice you can't do that. If you have no cell reception or bad reception, chances are that you won't be getting your calls with Google Voice.
Yup.

The one thing Google Voice has that Vumber doesn't is the texting option. But Google Voice also doesn't allow more than one number per forwarding cell phone number. That bites. Google Voice is free, but it seems like the $30 a month plan (what I would need) would be worth the features that Vumber offers.
Vumber wins.
  • LynnT
  • 12-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I run my google voice off wifi.. I have it hooked to an old iPhone. If you have net access you can use GV anywhere. I dont use the app, the app sucks.
Vumber sounds awesome. I think I'm gonna try it.. it does have a 14 day trial period which will tell me if I'll like it or not.
I run my google voice off wifi.. I have it hooked to an old iPhone. If you have net access you can use GV anywhere. I dont use the app, the app sucks. Originally Posted by LynnT
You are right the gv app sucks balls I qlways have to manually refresh it to see new text messages. Other than that it serves evry purpose I need and have been a fan for a while