Non partisan question about pardons

But the context is partisan.

What if Susan Rice is holding presidential "get out of jail free" card in the form of an Obama pardon issued on the last day he held office? I haven't found anything that would discount that or make it illegal. Of course you wouldn't play such a card lightly. You'd embarass Barry and make it look like both you and him were up to no good. No, you'd hold it right up until the judge passes his sentence and then you're lawyer would deliver that pardon in chambers. The judge would come out and say "dismissed".

So (here is the non-partisan part) do you think a president can issue a pardon that is not to be used until long after he (or she) is out of office but it will be issued while in office.
  • WTF
  • 04-10-2017, 09:02 AM
Somebody shoot this dumbass mutherfucker and save his students from any more of this fucking ignorant ass questions!

But the context is partisan.

What if Susan Rice is holding presidential "get out of jail free" card in the form of an Obama pardon issued on the last day he held office? I haven't found anything that would discount that or make it illegal. Of course you wouldn't play such a card lightly. You'd embarass Barry and make it look like both you and him were up to no good. No, you'd hold it right up until the judge passes his sentence and then you're lawyer would deliver that pardon in chambers. The judge would come out and say "dismissed".

So (here is the non-partisan part) do you think a president can issue a pardon that is not to be used until long after he (or she) is out of office but it will be issued while in office. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
To answer your question........No.
  • WTF
  • 04-10-2017, 01:48 PM
To answer your question........No. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Fucking JD, Amust of been hit over the head with a Monopoly Board as a kid!

From what I can read, no. I think all Presidential pardons are processed through the DOJ and published. Although Obama could have pardoned her for crimes that she was not charged or convicted of yet, he didn't. Now out of office, there is no retroactive pardon.

It appears there is a "gentleman's agreement" for the last few decades not to go on a "witch hunt" against key players of the prior administration. It may not hold up anymore.
No.
It appears there is a "gentleman's agreement" for the last few decades not to go on a "witch hunt" against key players of the prior administration. It may not hold up anymore. Originally Posted by gnadfly
If there ever was any such agreement, Obama trashed it when he and Eric Holder went after John Yoo for the so-called "torture memos".
  • WTF
  • 04-10-2017, 05:06 PM
Yahtzee or Monopoly , JD?

So (here is the non-partisan part) do you think a president can issue a pardon that is not to be used until long after he (or she) is out of office but it will be issued while in office. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Ford issued a pardon to Nixon, even though Nixon had not yet been formally charged or convicted of anything. I think a pardon has to be reasonably specific regarding what it covers. A President can't just issue a sweeping, non-specific pardon for anything and everything a person might have done but not yet been accused of. And if Obama pardoned Susan Rice before leaving office for things that were not even known or controversial yet, it would certainly look like an admission of wrongdoing!

P.S. Not a stupid question. Ignore fagboy.
From what I can read, no. I think all Presidential pardons are processed through the DOJ and published. Although Obama could have pardoned her for crimes that she was not charged or convicted of yet, he didn't. Now out of office, there is no retroactive pardon.

It appears there is a "gentleman's agreement" for the last few decades not to go on a "witch hunt" against key players of the prior administration. It may not hold up anymore. Originally Posted by gnadfly
Traditionally, the White House has the DOJ do an investigation and most of the time follows their guidelines but it is not a requirement. Clinton pardoned Marc Rich without any input from the DOJ who would have been against it. My point was could a president WHILE STILL IN OFFICE issue a pardon for any crimes committed up to the day of the new administration without revealing the pardon to anyone. Perhaps countersigned by the Attorney General for validity but hidden away from public eyes.
I think no.

secret pardon in a post administration? I think that's prolly no.

a pardon is pretty much a public document made during an administrations tenure.
My recollection is that Bill Clinton said in an interview that Eric Holder came to him at the "last minute" with papers for Rich's pardon and he signed it with little questioning. That means the DOJ did something to prepare the paperwork.

I doubt that Obama could sign the paperwork and it be valid without announcing it. Heck, why stop at Susan Rice? Hand the get out of free cards to Ben Rhodes, Hillary Clinton, Valerie Jarrett, et. al.
See! There you go...why not hand them out to the inner circle. You know, to seal the deal and their lips. They can always whip it out if so desired. In other news, how do we know that no one has ever had a sealed pardon? The whole point would be secrecy. They don't use it unless absolutely necessary and you get the right judge for your attorney to give it too....seal the records and you go home for lunch.
  • WTF
  • 04-11-2017, 11:24 AM

P.S. Not a stupid question. Ignore MR. WTF. Originally Posted by lustylad
Asking about a nonexistent pardon is not a stupid question?

It is a bitch question...something your wife would ask you for no damn good reason other than wanting to argue!

I told you it was a stupid question...the silly fucker has followed it up with two more!

Traditionally, the White House has the DOJ do an investigation and most of the time follows their guidelines but it is not a requirement. Clinton pardoned Marc Rich without any input from the DOJ who would have been against it. My point was could a president WHILE STILL IN OFFICE issue a pardon for any crimes committed up to the day of the new administration without revealing the pardon to anyone. Perhaps countersigned by the Attorney General for validity but hidden away from public eyes. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

See! There you go...why not hand them out to the inner circle. You know, to seal the deal and their lips. They can always whip it out if so desired. In other news, how do we know that no one has ever had a sealed pardon? The whole point would be secrecy. They don't use it unless absolutely necessary and you get the right judge for your attorney to give it too....seal the records and you go home for lunch. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

See! There you go...why not hand them out to the inner circle. You know, to seal the deal and their lips. They can always whip it out if so desired. In other news, how do we know that no one has ever had a sealed pardon? The whole point would be secrecy. They don't use it unless absolutely necessary and you get the right judge for your attorney to give it too....seal the records and you go home for lunch. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
the secrecy of the pardon would end with that administration who wrote it.