Political correctness..101

Merry Christmas! I know it's early but that's just how I roll. I love saying Merry Christmas again!!
Well Happy Xmas and Merry New Year to you...

SF
You're so right Ellen .... guess it's time for me to pull out my "It's Merry Christmas You Politically Correct Bastard" t-shirt ..... I love nothing more than pointing to the shirt when the little I.Q.-challenged teenager at the cash register hands me my change and offers, "Happy Holidays!!" ..... their facial reactions are always priceless .....
  • Loxly
  • 11-27-2016, 12:47 PM
I say Merry Christmas but I have no problem with Happy Holidays or any other greeting that the greeter deems appropriate.
  • Mokoa
  • 11-27-2016, 10:58 PM

Merry Christmas Everyone!
  • tzv13
  • 11-29-2016, 11:28 PM
I say Merry Christmas but I have no problem with Happy Holidays or any other greeting that the greeter deems appropriate. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Ditto.
It isn't political correctness to recognize and celebrate the differences between our many cultures. It's FREEDOM.

I do not celebrate Christmas. But I have no problem with wishing you a Merry Christmas. Just as you should have no problem wishing me a happy holiday.

I do have a problem with those who feel persecuted by our great nation's cultural and religious diversity.

May the God of your choice bless you!
Do you even work? Let me tell you about freedom. In the corporate world I was not allowed to say Merry Christmas - I was told I had to say Happy Holidays because we didn't want to offend anyone. So than I had to tell my staff that you can't say Merry Christmas - you had to answer the phone by saying - Happy Holidays thank you for calling ______,this is _______,how may I help you. I was told that if myself or my staff kept saying Merry Christmas they could be issued a written warning. Basically,they could lose their jobs over this. So tell me again - how is that freedom?????

It isn't political correctness to recognize and celebrate the differences between our many cultures. It's FREEDOM.

I do not celebrate Christmas. But I have no problem with wishing you a Merry Christmas. Just as you should have no problem wishing me a happy holiday.

I do have a problem with those who feel persecuted by our great nation's cultural and religious diversity.

May the God of your choice bless you! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Well said Ellen ..... that's exactly why I wear my "Christmas shirt" as stated in my earlier post in this thread .....
Do you even work? Let me tell you about freedom. In the corporate world I was not allowed to say Merry Christmas - I was told I had to say Happy Holidays because we didn't want to offend anyone. So than I had to tell my staff that you can't say Merry Christmas - you had to answer the phone by saying - Happy Holidays thank you for calling ______,this is _______,how may I help you. I was told that if myself or my staff kept saying Merry Christmas they could be issued a written warning. Basically,they could lose their jobs over this. So tell me again - how is that freedom????? Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
I'm not at all offended by people wishing me a Merry Christmas. As far as being forced to speak one way or another when dealing with customers goes, I think the choice to work in such a corporate culture is yours. I certainly wouldn't want to work at a place like that, and never have. That's because I am free to work or not work in any environment I choose.

Yes, dear, I most certainly do work... for patriotic Americans, who appreciate and embrace our cultural and religious diversity.

Habari Gani! And Happy Festivus for the Rest of us!

Do you even work? Let me tell you about freedom. In the corporate world I was not allowed to say Merry Christmas - I was told I had to say Happy Holidays because we didn't want to offend anyone. So than I had to tell my staff that you can't say Merry Christmas - you had to answer the phone by saying - Happy Holidays thank you for calling ______,this is _______,how may I help you. I was told that if myself or my staff kept saying Merry Christmas they could be issued a written warning. Basically,they could lose their jobs over this. So tell me again - how is that freedom????? Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
I worked in the corporate world for 46 years for one of the most conservative companies around and was never told that I could not use the greeting of my choice. However, if your job is talking with people of unknown religious background, I certainly understand a company not wanting to offend a customer in any way. When meeting with external customers I was expected to wear a suit and tie and put on a personal different than when dealing with internal workers. If a person chooses to work in the corporate world, sometimes he/she may be forced to follow company policies with which he/she might disagree.
Well in my case,when I first started working there we said - Merry Christmas because the holiday is Christmas-after 5 years that's when I was told not to say it. Now for me - the holiday is Christmas so having to say Happy Holidays was not appropriate. You guys talk about "choosing to work there" I was invested in this company - even if I choose not to work there I couldn't just quit because I'd be broke. You and Rider don't get it - sometimes you don't have a choice where you work.

I worked in the corporate world for 46 years for one of the most conservative companies around and was never told that I could not use the greeting of my choice. However, if your job is talking with people of unknown religious background, I certainly understand a company not wanting to offend a customer in any way. When meeting with external customers I was expected to wear a suit and tie and put on a personal different than when dealing with internal workers. If a person chooses to work in the corporate world, sometimes he/she may be forced to follow company policies with which he/she might disagree. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
  • Loxly
  • 12-01-2016, 12:08 AM
I've worked in several "diverse" companies. For that reason I reserved Merry Christmas for those I knew to be Christian and Happy Holiday for everyone else. I was never told to restrict my greetings to one phrase or another.

Regardless of the holiday or phrase used it's the sentiment behind it. MHO
You guys talk about "choosing to work there" I was invested in this company - even if I choose not to work there I couldn't just quit because I'd be broke. You and Rider don't get it - sometimes you don't have a choice where you work. Originally Posted by Austin Ellen
You ALWAYS have a choice as to where you work. You have to balance out the good and the bad. Corporate life usually pays well but you may have to sacrifice some of your values for the "good" of the corporation. Over my 46 years with my former company, there were many times when I disagreed with one policy or another. Do I quit or do I go along with what the corporation deems "appropriate"? If I was asked to say "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas" with a 6-figure job in the balance. "Happy holidays" it is.

If you think quitting a job over having to say "Happy holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", more power to you.