Here is a brain teaser: the Minimum Wage

The left always seems to be shouting and protesting about the minimum wage. Nancy Pelosi says that the minimum wage creates jobs. Harry Reid says the minimum wage stimulates the economy. Joe Biden says increasing the minimum wage is the only fair thing to do BUT...

if this is true then why didn't they increase the minimum wage when the democrats controlled both houses and the White House? There is also a state minimum wage so why don't they increase the minimum wage in California to $20 an hour or $25 an hour. Won't it be great if every person on the minimum wage (3% of Americans) made over $75,000 a year?

So why don't they and why didn't they?
The left always seems to be shouting and protesting about the minimum wage. Nancy Pelosi says that the minimum wage creates jobs. Harry Reid says the minimum wage stimulates the economy. Joe Biden says increasing the minimum wage is the only fair thing to do BUT...

if this is true then why didn't they increase the minimum wage when the democrats controlled both houses and the White House? There is also a state minimum wage so why don't they increase the minimum wage in California to $20 an hour or $25 an hour. Won't it be great if every person on the minimum wage (3% of Americans) made over $75,000 a year?

So why don't they and why didn't they? Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Your post wasn't a brain teaser.

It was a brain fart.
I notice you couldn't answer it.
  • CJ7
  • 02-11-2014, 02:00 PM

It was a brain fart. Originally Posted by ExNYer

same thing if you're JD

It was a brain fart. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Poor little TsFLFer is feeling neglected...
A "brain teaser" post on this board will have trouble reaching it's intended audience.
My, my no one on the left can answer the question. All of your brains put together can't answer a simple question.
Apparently you didn't know the answer or you would not have asked. So why should anyone else tell you?

Politics as usual...

http://freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3122025/posts

Minimum wage has racist origin
Amarillo Globe ^ | March 5, 2013 | Walter E. Williams
Posted on 2/12/2014 7:44:31 AM by SJackson

Let’s work through an example. Suppose 100 yards of fence could be built using one of two techniques. You could hire three low-skilled workers for $15 each, or you could hire one high-skilled worker for $40. Either way, you get the same 100 yards of fence built. If you sought maximum profits, which production technique would you employ? I’m guessing that you’d hire one high-skilled worker and pay him $40 rather than hire three low-skilled workers for $15 each. Your labor costs would be $40 rather than $45.

Suppose the high-skilled worker came into your office and demanded $55 a day. What would be your response? You’d probably tell him to go play in the traffic and hire the three low-skilled workers. After all, hiring the three low-skilled workers for $45, to get the same 100 yards of fence, would be cheaper than the $55 a day now demanded by the high-skilled worker.

The high-skilled worker is not stupid and knows that’s exactly what you’d do. He will do a bit of organizing first, convincing decent, caring people that low-skilled workers are being exploited and not earning a living wage and that Congress should enact a minimum wage in the fencing industry of at least $20. After Congress enacts a minimum wage of $20, what then happens to the chances of a high-skilled worker’s successfully demanding $55 a day? They go up because he’s used the coercive powers of Congress to price his competition out of the market. Because of the minimum wage, it would cost you $60 to use the three low-skilled workers.

The minimum wage not only discriminates against low-skilled workers but also is one of the most effective tools of racists everywhere. Our nation’s first minimum wage came in the form of the Davis-Bacon Act of 1931.

During the legislative debate over the Davis-Bacon Act, which sets minimum wages on federally financed or assisted construction projects, racist intents were obvious. Rep. John Cochran, D-Mo., supported the bill, saying he had “received numerous complaints in recent months about Southern contractors employing low-paid colored mechanics getting work and bringing the employees from the South.”

Rep. Miles Allgood, D-Ala., complained: “That contractor has cheap colored labor that he transports, and he puts them in cabins, and it is labor of that sort that is in competition with white labor throughout the country.” Rep. William Upshaw, D-Ga., spoke of the “superabundance or large aggregation of Negro labor.” American Federation of Labor President William Green said, “Colored labor is being sought to demoralize wage rates.” The Davis-Bacon Act, still on the books today, virtually eliminated blacks from federally financed construction projects when it was passed.

During South Africa’s apartheid era, the secretary of its avowedly racist Building Workers’ Union, Gert Beetge, said, “There is no job reservation left in the building industry, and in the circumstances, I support the rate for the job (minimum wage) as the second-best way of protecting our white artisans.” The South African Nursing Council condemned low wages received by black nurses as unfair. Some nurses said they wouldn’t accept wage increases until the wages of black nurses were raised. The South African Economic and Wage Commission of 1925 reported that “while definite exclusion of the Natives from the more remunerative fields of employment by law has not been urged upon us, the same result would follow a certain use of the powers of the Wage Board under the Wage Act of 1925, or of other wage-fixing legislation. The method would be to fix a minimum rate for an occupation or craft so high that no Native would be likely to be employed.”

Whether support for minimum wages is motivated by good or by evil, its effect is to cut off the bottom rungs of the economic ladder for the most disadvantaged worker and lower the cost of discrimination.

The left exposed as frauds
I'll give you another day to squirm
and then I'll give you the very
obvious answer
  • CJ7
  • 02-12-2014, 08:55 AM
My, my no one on the left can answer the question. All of your brains put together can't answer a simple question. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
people on both sides of the aisle made a choice to ignore you, and your dumbass "question" ... get it ?
I notice you couldn't answer it. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Because you are an idiot.

The answer to the multiple questions you asked would be a 1000 word post.

No one is going to take the time to answer when it won't do anything to persuade an idiot like you. You have already told us you are going to wait another day to let us "squirm" before you give us "the answer".

As if you knew.

You are going to give us your dopey opinion and nothing more. There is no "answer" that everyone agrees on.
I still see you writing....

The minimum wage is a hoax. It is a democratic ploy to shackle the weak and stupid. Only 1.2% of the work force actually works for minimum wage in this country. All you have to do is show up, put in a good day, and learn your job. You will not be working for minimum wage anymore. You will move up. Continue to do that and you will get a promotion and more raises. If you don't get that and you stay then you are one of those stupid that I was talking about.
The reason that the democrats did not raise the minimum wage when they could have easily done it is because they KNOW it kills jobs and then they wanted the political axe to grind knowing the GOP would fight the increase. This gives the democrats an excuse to bellyache.
So the reason the democrats does this is the lie and the bellyaching, not to help workers.

The left exposed as frauds
I'll give you another day to squirm
and then I'll give you the very
obvious answer Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You just exposed yourself again lmao Call in the clowns JD see if they are as funny as you.
  • Old-T
  • 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM

After reading this post of yours a second time I think you may have convinced me. You logic applies to a lot more than just this.

Water. Water is essential for life. Nutritionists tell us that 6-8 glasses a day will keep us healthier. So following your logic everyone would be even healthier if they downed a 10 gallon fish tank full of water three or four times a day.

Well, on second thought, no you haven't convinced me.