using credit cards

Just wondering since I signed up to be able to take credit cards if anyone here would be interested in it.
I know in other places I have been asked if I accept them and at that time I could not...

Would anyone use this method or no ??????

Thoughts on it ..........
On CC-personally, no. My reasons are (a) the transaction shows up on a statement, and (b) it would be too easy to charge something you don't have the means to pay off. For everyday expenses, sure. Hobbying? no way...
No way....cash only
Ok, it would be better used on traveling then....
  • Rigin
  • 07-19-2014, 04:09 PM
In this line of work, I would be extremely wary of using credit cards, I know lots of providers and agencies do, but in doing so you theoretically open yourself up to federal banking laws and regulations. It's one thing to deal with local le , it's another to deal with the feds.
Just my opinion.
well its not like I would have a lot so 5-6 people a month or couple months isnt going to cause any attention, its just another method of payment, I have other services that I offer too so this would be for all purposes
Although I wouldn't use a card for hobby, I know a couple gals that accept cards using discrete business names. There's transaction fees that add up to consider. And yes it does leave a trail. Apparently, some guys don't worry about it.
  • Rigin
  • 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't worry about the attention it would draw, I would be more concerned that if you got in trouble the paper trail that one single transaction would leave could, in theory open you up to charges far beyond local charges, but federal charges like money laundering. If they can prove the money came from illegal activities and they want to press the issue, a verifiable credit card transaction is just the proof they need.

The chances of that happening obviously are small, but just something to think about.

well its not like I would have a lot so 5-6 people a month or couple months isnt going to cause any attention, its just another method of payment, I have other services that I offer too so this would be for all purposes Originally Posted by shayla84
If they can prove the money came from illegal activities Originally Posted by Rigin
But they can't unless there's a screening failure. Housecleaning, dogwalking, vehicle washing, house painter, self defense instructor, home health care provider, landscaper, a lot of perfectly valid self employment jobs come to mind.
In this line of work, I would be extremely wary of using credit cards, I know lots of providers and agencies do, but in doing so you theoretically open yourself up to federal banking laws and regulations. It's one thing to deal with local le , it's another to deal with the feds.
Just my opinion. Originally Posted by Rigin
Agree 100%. Not to go too far off-topic, but a lot of anti-terrorism measures taken in the past 13 years have left individuals more exposed. The federal government can do things like read your Visa statement without a warrant in some cases. No reason to provide further ammunition for harassment down the road.
I guess I don't have the same concern the other folks do. Something like the square app or PayPal and I highly doubt you'll have the Feds coming after you for anything, after all it's just $200, $300, etc going into your account with no description or stuff like that.

Also, I don't have to worry about a significant other checking my statements so sign me up! Lol
  • Rigin
  • 07-20-2014, 07:50 PM
Or if the guy gets pinched and admits he used his card to pay for the services.

But they can't unless there's a screening failure. Housecleaning, dogwalking, vehicle washing, house painter, self defense instructor, home health care provider, landscaper, a lot of perfectly valid self employment jobs come to mind. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
  • Rigin
  • 07-20-2014, 07:53 PM
I'm not saying the deposit activity itself would get you in trouble, I'm just thinking you get in trouble and they find out you have been using credit/debit cards, they have an easy paper trail that could lead to charges far beyond local charges.

I guess I don't have the same concern the other folks do. Something like the square app or PayPal and I highly doubt you'll have the Feds coming after you for anything, after all it's just $200, $300, etc going into your account with no description or stuff like that.

Also, I don't have to worry about a significant other checking my statements so sign me up! Lol Originally Posted by yuuuppp
i've seen a lot that are using Square and Paypal just for the idea of not making so many trips to the ATM. i wouldn't use it with a fly-by-night provider and would only do it with a verified provider.
If it was a last minute I don't have time to stop at a ATM before I bone the fuck out if you, then yeah I'd use one. I have cards that my s.o. does not have access to and all the statements are paperless but I would still only use one with someone I trust implicitly like Renee. Never with someone right out of the gate. It's a nice option to have though.