Laptops?

Morning Everyone,
I am getting my very first laptop!!! As i am almost computer illiterate do any of you providers have one you swear by? As a "provider" how much RAM or memory should i need? I would really like mid range macbook as I have an iphone and can't stand windows 8.

Any suggestions as to what kind, best prices and where to buy are much depreciated!!

Thank you all in advance!!!

~Ariel
Ariel are you posting from your iphone girl?

Auto-correct will get the best of us.

You can edit your messages, however, within 30 minutes of a post...

Or is it an hour??

is sure that it's an hour edit time for a review....

I'm sure cuz I often still go over anyways.

I'm very Greekish about formatting.

On to your question:

Can't go wrong with Amazon IMHO.

Also check out Newegg.com (play with the "rank listings by: price/positive reviews" drop down menu)

Fatwallet often has great deals even though it's not specifically aimed towards laptops.
If this is your first computer, and you're not that computer savvy, go to Walmart or Target or even a Frye's or some sort of computer place and just pick out one that speaks to you on some level.

Don't worry too much about the bells and whistles because ANY basic brand of computer is going to work for you. It'll have more "stuff" on there then you'll need. My suggestion would be to NOT get the top of the line computer because it'll be more computer than you need ... unless ... you're a gamer.

If you like to game, then my advice can go out the window because with that, you need graphic cards and memory, etc. I am NOT a person who plays a lot of online games and that is out of my realm of knowledge. But if you're NOT a gamer, then my advice is fairly sound.

If you want an Apple computer, then go to an Apple store.

If you don't like Windows 8, then get a computer with Windows 7 on it. Do NOT get a computer that operates on Vista. Vista isn't a good operating system.

Otherwise, just have fun with it! Pick a pretty color. Do what is fun. And then, take your time learning how to do word processing and other basic computer skills.

There are plenty of entry level courses to take at junior colleges close by. Also, Apple stores will offer free classes.

Just my cheap advice!

Good luck,
Elisabeth
As long as you have a wifi connection I would strongly recommend a Samsung Chromebook. They're around $200 and provide everything a casual computer user would need.
Don't buy extended warranty. It's a rip off!

I got mine HP and last me now 2 years. Paid $400 's some for it. Didn't get any extended warranty 2 yr $200 because, I thought if it went south I will just buy another one.

Most PC, Laptop now equipped w/ window 8
Just a few thoughts...
Windows 8.1 fixed a lot of the issues with Windows 8... I'm not a fan and totally understand, but you can get a lot more PC/laptop for the money going the windows route. I'd follow EW's advice and go to a PC store (not Walmart - try Best Buy... Not sure what electronics store is in New Orleans.)

As a provider, most of what you are doing isn't processor/memory intensive. Buy literally anything you like and you should be fine. But be wary of downloading free anything (games, screen savers, toolbars, even virus protection....) All of it carries risks of slowing down your computer and you generally won't know why.

Apple makes good quality laptops, you should be fine as far as reliability. But generally consumer-grade windows laptops are a more mixed bag. I'd personally avoid Dell's and HPs like the plague. I have a reliability report somewhere that shows they are the worst -performing reliability wise.

If all you are doing is web-related, you might seriously consider a ipad with a keyboard case. Given that low-end macbooks are $1k and an ipad and keyboard case will set you back $400-$500... Might be worth a look?
ipads are a BITCH to use if you're trying to post ads and send pictures.

If she isn't computer literate, then it'll be almost impossible. As it is right now, I can do VERY little on my ipad and even doing moderating stuff (for Eccie) on my ipad is a pain in the ass.

So I would highly recommend getting an ipad AFTER you've bought a regular laptop computer. You're going to have huge challenges taking care of your admin work on an ipad, even with a keyboard. Especially if you do a lot of cutting and pasting of texts ... it's an absolute bitch to get used to. (From MY female viewpoint, only, and this may not be that accurate!)

Sorry to override that advice you gave, Luv4Fun, with the ipad advice. I do agree with him, though, probably going to Best Buy is a better bet than Walmart. And everything else that he wrote was great.

I was just keeping things pretty simple with my thoughts above.
Morning Everyone,
I am getting my very first laptop!!! As i am almost computer illiterate do any of you providers have one you swear by? As a "provider" how much RAM or memory should i need? I would really like mid range macbook as I have an iphone and can't stand windows 8.

Any suggestions as to what kind, best prices and where to buy are much depreciated!!

Thank you all in advance!!!

~Ariel Originally Posted by Ariel J adore
I replied privately. If you do the Apple Macbook, you want to get the best personal service you can. I personally think that is the Apple Store.

It really depends on what you want to do with the computer. If you already have an iPad, remember that you can buy a "bluetooth keyboard" which will make your iPad probably just as useful as a full computer for a lot less money.

Reply back if you have questions, I have worked with over 40-50 types of computers from mainframes to servers to desktops to laptops to iPads to iPhones over 30+ years. I am a Guru.

Best of luck!
A couple of extra comments.

On the extended warranty. If you have "children" which might be using it, or are in the rain a lot, or are clumsy, you might want to get an extended warranty. Make sure the extended warranty covers "accidental and water damage". The "default" ones at the store don't cover those. I have a $1200 ASUS Gamer's Republic laptop and my warranty just paid for me accidentally bumping the power connection and knocking out the center pin (where the power actually flows through). Also, an extended warranty typically gets you a new battery replacement for free about 2 years into use on a 3 year laptop.

If you intend to spend over $1000, then buy the extended warranty. Also, with Applecare, you can buy it 1 year at a time, and Applecare comes with the personalized training I think you would want and appreciate.

If you go Windows, I agree on the HP and Dell, they are not made very well anymore, and that is the reason they are sub-$300 computers. The Chromebook will be very limited unless you "just" want to do everything through a browser (email, view webpages, do updates, upload pictures). If you want to play games, create and/or edit video or pictures, Photoshop, or anything "complicated" then you will want a full laptop.

I completely agree on Windows 7 vs. Windows 8. Windows 8 is very difficult to use.

I agree on the Community College courses. If you get a Windows 7/Windows 8 computer, you will pretty much want to take the courses to learn to use it. Another reason to get a Macbook.
As with any purchase, the primary purpose should dictate the form.

If you plan to use the laptop mainly for travel, you would do well to compromise screen size for portability.

If on the other hand, the laptop will be mainly stationary, then you would want the biggest screen possible.

. . . I use my laptop mainly for travel and as a backup to my monster desktop, so I went with a 14" screen and the most power I could get. You might want to consider a Toshiba with an Intel i7 processor. Also bear in mind that the more people you ask, the more opinions you will get. Decide for yourself exactly what is the primary function and then pull the trigger. I would also recommend a backlit keyboard as they are indespensable on long flights.

If you're wanting a Mac, go to the Apple Store in Lakeside Shopping Center. Tell one of the assistants what u want to use a computer for ( well, don't tell them EVERYTHING ) and they will recommend a computer for you.

Sounds like a MacBook Air would be a good fit. It's also cheaper than a MacBook laptop. When you make your purchase, sign up to the Genius Bar where they will teach you how to use it.

If you already have an iPhone the learning curve will be simpler and faster vs. a Windows machine. The two operating systems will probably be one in a few years.