Bad news for some...

....good news for the rest of us. Gun sales soar, crime falls. --FBI

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Soared-In-2013
I love the headline, and I think gun ownership provides a deterrent against crime. However, just like the citations that "prove" global warming, I think the broad pattern of crime going down has so many complex causes we can only say gun ownership by responsible parties is a net positive over a long term, but not the sole reason for any one year.
In any case, we don't really need to prove they are a net positive anyway, because the slave owning, property owning, white male non Muslim non gay founding fathers wrote it into the Bill of Rights, so anyone who doesn't like it that citizens own guns can go fuck themselves.
....good news for the rest of us. Gun sales soar, crime falls. --FBI

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...Soared-In-2013 Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Violent crime went down 4.4% from 2012 to 2013 according to the FBI report, supposedly due to the increased gun sales. From the same report, violent crime went down 5.7% from 2009 to 2010 and 4% from 2010 to 2011. Violent crime actually increased from 2011 to 2012.

So did gun sales go down in 2011 therefore accounting for more violent crime? And why was there a greater decrease in violent crime in 2010? Was there a spike in gun sales that year?
You tell me. I'm just reporting the news. I am very aware that correlation is not causation but I love it when the other side throws out unsupported numbers and thinks they've counted coup. So sometimes we can play the same game.
You tell me. I'm just reporting the news. I am very aware that correlation is not causation but I love it when the other side throws out unsupported numbers and thinks they've counted coup. So sometimes we can play the same game. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Just reporting the news?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
Statistics on violent crime don't have to necessarily refer to the use of firearms. Violent crime can occur with any implement besides a gun. So just because the sale of guns goes up or down doesn't really mean that much statistically. We have become preoccupied with the idea of firearms and violent crime go hand in hand. More guns more crime, Fewer guns less crime.That idea has been driven in us because of the media and politics. It's very inaccurate. Just look at your own life in association with firearms. How many people do any of you know that own firearms and have committed violent offenses with their guns? On the flip side of that coin, how many of you know someone who has been a victim of a violent crime involving a firearm?

Jim
Statistics on violent crime don't have to necessarily refer to the use of firearms. Violent crime can occur with any implement besides a gun. So just because the sale of guns goes up or down doesn't really mean that much statistically. We have become preoccupied with the idea of firearms and violent crime go hand in hand. More guns more crime, Fewer guns less crime.That idea has been driven in us because of the media and politics. It's very inaccurate. Just look at your own life in association with firearms. How many people do any of you know that own firearms and have committed violent offenses with their guns? On the flip side of that coin, how many of you know someone who has been a victim of a violent crime involving a firearm?

Jim Originally Posted by Mr MojoRisin
I think you are confused. The article is stating that more law-abiding citizens are purchasing guns and the violent crime rate is going down because more people are able to protect themselves from the criminals. Has nothing to do with the type of violent crime being committed.