Green light for Vets

No offense (I know this means well), but speaking as a veteran, frankly I'd eagerly trade every one of those green lights and yellow "support the troops" ribbons for a Congress which will do something about fixing the mess in the VA medical system, and which will do something to insure that no man or woman (or their surviving family in the case of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice) will ever again be homeless.

We in this country are big on ultimately useless displays, and not so big on really doing things that count.

OK, rant over (this is a berserk button topic for me)...

Cheers,

bcg
I have read so many articles how veterans who give their lives, and often body parts, in defense of our country are not given the support they RICHLY deserve.

Although I am not a veteran, my father was a pilot in the Navy and my step father was a Coast Guard reservist, later a K-9 police officer in DC.

I was raised to honor and respect the men and women who are willing to risk theirs lives for civilians.

I can't thank you enough for your service to our country, BCG.
No offense (I know this means well), but speaking as a veteran, frankly I'd eagerly trade every one of those green lights and yellow "support the troops" ribbons for a Congress which will do something about fixing the mess in the VA medical system, and which will do something to insure that no man or woman (or their surviving family in the case of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice) will ever again be homeless.

We in this country are big on ultimately useless displays, and not so big on really doing things that count.

OK, rant over (this is a berserk button topic for me)...

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Well said bcg. We Americans as a whole are big on doing things that make us "feel good," and not so dedicated to doing things that "do good."
I'm sorry if I stirred up some bad feelings. Was not my intent at all.
I'm sorry if I stirred up some bad feelings. Was not my intent at all. Originally Posted by Nicolet
Don't feel bad at all. Glad you have shown that you care. this was more a comment about society in general. All shows of support are good, we just wish there were a few more with substance from our government.
Don't feel bad at all. Glad you have shown that you care. this was more a comment about society in general. All shows of support are good, we just wish there were a few more with substance from our government. Originally Posted by memdal
+1

Cheers,

bcg
having lived with a vet that suffers from PTSD and not being able to get proper care...I doubt a green light is going to solve anything. Seems like another way people can pretend to care without actually doing anything
Don't feel bad at all. Glad you have shown that you care. this was more a comment about society in general. All shows of support are good, we just wish there were a few more with substance from our government. Originally Posted by memdal
+2

+3 hopefully all the vets will have a positive day. Thank you for your service.

Nicolet, Thank you for starting the thread. Sometimes it's the thought, a smile or just a how are you?
Thank you Sonoman. I may not be able to move the congressional marble asses to make changes, if I can affect a smile by bringing a little bit of happiness to someone, it makes ME happy to be able to do so.