SXSW in March 2012

Any one have any suggestions for getting music access without buying a $700 music badge?

I am cruising Craigs etc but have not bought anything yet.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Boog-
You can either sign up to volunteer, or go the route I think most locals do and just pay attention to free day shows. Most just require an online RSVP and you can see a ton of bands and there is often free booze!

Just google "sxsw day shows" or "sxsw free shows" and start RSVPing as soon as they open up. I've never bought a badge, and have always seen tons of great bands, even some headliners, and have had an amazing time.
Thanks Amber! I have a friend in town that wants to see the band Owen. No clue if it's a free show but I am all over your great suggestion.

Thank you,

-Boog
ive done the volunteering part. a lot of fun. met some cool people. and you get one free night to do whatever with a music badge. plus you can walk around all day with the badge as well. does it help? yes. but not always. if the venue is full, you aint getting in no matter what badge or wristband you have. it sure as fuck didnt help me when i wanted to see the black keys at the mohawk.

last year i went the free route. took the bus up to downtown. and would basically spend the entire afternoon and evening down there. free shows all over the place. but always have plan Bs in case plan A doesn't pan out. either the venue is full or it turns out you needed an RVSP or it turns out they didn't get yours.

when it gets closer to SXSW, do512 will have an entire section of their site dedicated to everything that is free for SXSW.
also, if you want to see a particular band, follow them on the social networks. most of these bands will come play a showcase or two at night, that yes do require a wristband or badge. but they also play free shows during the day. these smaller bands want to play as often as possible.

last year one of my favorite bands played 8 sets in 4 days here in austin.

at last but not least, if there is a band you are dying to see, but its music badges and / or wristbands only, just swing by the venue and talk to the dude at the door. sometimes these venues dont fill up as they expected and they just start letting people in, either for free or a small cover. sxsw and these venue owners want full crowds.
Also larger venues have space and will let you pay your way in. I have done this many times over the years at Stubb's or the Austin Music Hall, if I don't have a badge or wrist band.
  • Paven
  • 01-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Does anyone know if there is a shuttle service? I've tried to go in the past and I don't mind walking 15 or 20 blocks but if it's farther than that to walk it's lame.
Wristbands have traditionally been sold at http://wristbands.sxsw.com/. Last year, they were $165.

Wristbands for shuttles to/from different hotels can be purchased at http://www.rrlimobus.com/sxsw-hotel-shuttle for $40 but I'm not aware of any for bringing people to different venues (and yes, it can be a LOT of hoofing for some of the venues, lol).
My Buddy's band Skrew played last year and will also be playing this year.They will tell whomever that i'm part of the road crew if i'm able to make it.
I have a friend who works the larger parties like Playboy, Hilton, etc... & has given heads-up to myself & others when there's an op to get in somewhere. Unfortunately, my major "please, please, gimme, gimme" this year is entree to the workshop on the business & art of music w/ Ann & Nancy Wilson of Heart speaking. OMG!!! Fucking AWESOME!!! Would be so ecstatic to hear their views, advice and... dare I say... MEET them! Somebody could seriously tap me for that opportunity! lol

Just sayin'...

LBoog - I LOVE The NEW AVATAR!!!!!!

EVERYONE'S FAVORITE FLOWER,

Lilly

HAVE YOU HAD YOUR "LILLY EXPERIENCE" LATELY

Got my wristband ($149)
i work in this field hmu for details about shows, dates, and whatever else ur heart desires i do it all <3 and i'm smart . WiN
What sucks: I will be out of town next weekend.
What rocks: I will be in town until then.
Once SXSW has started, you can find badges and wristbands for a lot cheaper than retail. People have to leave early and a lot of the badges are purchased through an org or corporation so the owners don't care to maximize their resale value.

Platinum badge was nice. You get VIP (aka open bar) for shows at Auditorium Shores. You do have to wait in line, but the badge lines are quicker and most of the times you are guaranteed in.