Boston Trivia Quiz

[This is a self-indulgent, off-the-wall thread prompted solely by some nostalgia of my youthful years.]
  1. How many lanterns were hung on top of Old North Church on the night of Paul Revere’s ride in 1775?
  2. Which Boston restaurant is famous for its Boston baked beans and strawberry shortcake?
  3. Which Boston museum was the victim of the biggest unsolved art theft in U.S. history?
  4. After the skyscraper Hancock Place was built, its giant windowpanes started popping out. Which renowned architect designed it?
  5. Which mayor of Boston is honored with two statues near Faneuil Hall despite having gone to jail twice?
  6. Which Red Sox player is the last winner of the batting triple crown in major-league baseball?
  7. Who is the Celtics all-time leader in points and games played?
  8. Bruins icon Bobby Orr was the youngest person ever inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. How old was he when he was enshrined in 1979?
  9. How long was Arthur Fiedler’s tenure as conductor of the Boston Pops?
  10. Harvard Bridge across the Charles River has markings indicating that it is 364.4 smoots long. What is a smoot?

Answers to the Boston Trivia Quiz:
  1. Two
  2. Durgin-Park
  3. Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
  4. I. M. Pei
  5. James Michael Curley
  6. Carl Yastrzemski, in 1967, the "Impossible Dream" year when the Red Sox went to the World Series (but lost to the Cardinals) after finishing 9th the previous year.
  7. John Havlicek, a Hall-of-Famer who amazingly was not even a regular starter during most of his career. He is generally considered the greatest "sixth man" in basketball.
  8. 31
  9. 50 years (1930-1980)
  10. 170 cm, the body length of Oliver Smoot, a 1958 MIT freshman.
What....No questions requiring a cream pie answer.
Not until they're done working through the beans.

What....No questions requiring a cream pie answer. Originally Posted by wantsome
  • Quail
  • 03-21-2012, 05:13 PM
I knew some of the answers, and saw both Yaz and Havlicek play when I was in college in the Boston area 1968-1971. I also had dinner at Durgin Park. Is it still open now ?? Fond memories of the " combat zone " also.
I also had dinner at Durgin Park. Is it still open now ?? Originally Posted by quail
Yes, here is the Durgin-Park website. Their prime rib is excellent.