The "New" iPad

• S-Man
  • 03-07-2012, 07:21 PM
For those who are considering the new iPad, are you replacing an older one?
http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/07/a...le-tv-refresh/
I have never drank the Apple kool aid. I have a great android tablet (Original Asus Transformer). Even with the new iPad the hurdle I see with all tablets is that they still need something as easy as a keyboard to use for input. They're a great media consumption device (reading, watching video, listening to music) but aren't as functional as they could be until we get past the input hurdle.
I'll stick to my iPad 2. Really, they added processing power, a SIGNIFICANTLY better camera, a display with twice the rsution! 4G lite, plus some stuff like Siri. Same battery life and compatibility with the apps i need/use for work, plus mine is thinner and lighter....not that it really matters. Besides, I find it amusing that the model I have iPad 2 wifi/3G with 64g hasn't had a price cut announced like the other current models have.

Oh and Bob, look into Dragon Voice recognition software. It's amazing.
I'll stick to my iPad 2. Really, they added processing power, a SIGNIFICANTLY better camera, a display with twice the rsution! 4G lite, plus some stuff like Siri. Same battery life and compatibility with the apps i need/use for work, plus mine is thinner and lighter....not that it really matters. Besides, I find it amusing that the model I have iPad 2 wifi/3G with 64g hasn't had a price cut announced like the other current models have.

Oh and Bob, look into Dragon Voice recognition software. It's amazing. Originally Posted by Vitruvian
The weight & size are negligible in difference, though I guess if you have a case for the old, it may not fit the new.

With the new one, IPAD 2 will only be made in the 16K version so your 64g isn't in the cards.

I like the comments on data plan, the 4g version is capable of exhausting your data plan in 10 minutes.

I am considering a wifi only version for work, but not sure I see any reason to upgrade to the new model.

Are there options for an external keyboard? I had heard that the new version might have a USB port, but haven't seen anything regarding that on the releases.
Yep i will get one, not sure what I will do with my iPad 2 32GB

Tiger there are Bluetooth keyboards like Zaggfolio

I hardly use my Toshiba laptop since buying my iPad 2. Tablets is the direction we are all going. PCs will linger around but the sales direction is going to be heavy towards tablets.

Tiger there are Bluetooth keyboards like Zaggfolio. Originally Posted by TexRich
There are also keyboards that are docking stations.

Hadn't heard they were not gonna make the iPad 2 64g anymore though, interesting. Either way, not upgrading any time soon.
Articles I saw said only the 16G would be made. And I think I confirmed that on Apple's website.

As a computer novice, especially Apple related, is the 16G good enough, or do I want or need more? I am not going to use this for gaming or heavy media type stuff. Photos, web browsing, book reading, spreadsheets & documents.

Guess the next question is what is the cheapest & best MSWord emulator for the IPAD? (I guess in todays jargon, that is just a simple Ap I am looking for.)

Oh, and thanks for the bluetooth keyboard hint. Next I have to figure out how to print via my wireless printer.
I first bought a 16GB iPad 2 bought I realized fast I needed at least 32GB. You can get away with 16GB on an iPhone but I think for an iPad 32GB is good.
  • Holly
  • 03-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Oh and Bob, look into Dragon Voice recognition software. It's amazing. Originally Posted by Vitruvian
Yep I'm happy with my I pad 2 as well....they just don't have the upgrades needed to make them work as well as an android....plus P411 doesn't work right on my I pad and that's important to me :-)
Best Buy is selling the IPAD 2 at $100 off original prices:

WiFi with 16 - $399
WiFi with 32 - $499
WiFi with 64 - $599
I still haven't bought one and probably won't this time either. I love them and they are so portable, but when it comes down to heavy graphics and video, you still need a laptop. Someday...
I still haven't bought one and probably won't this time either. I love them and they are so portable, but when it comes down to heavy graphics and video, you still need a laptop. Someday... Originally Posted by jkerouac
Yeah...would be nice to run Creative Suite on them (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign)
I bought The New iPad 64GB, it's fucking awesome! It's the best tablet period. I also have the iPad 2 32 GB but my nephew will be getting that this weekend. The resolution, 4G LTE on AT@T, and the gaming apps are really kick ass. I have a Toshiba laptop that I have hardly touched since last summer.
  • S-Man
  • 03-28-2012, 11:33 PM
How quickly do you hit your data limit? Do you have a shock-proof case?
I'm amazed by how good the integrated dictation capability is. That's all I ever do for email and short documents now. Speaking with punctuation takes a little bit of getting used to, but so did learning to type.