Stan "The Man" Musial

Passed away at the age of 92 today.

He was so revered in St. Louis that he has two statues outside Busch Stadium. Widely considered the greatest Cardinals player ever, he was the first person in Cardinals team history to have his number retired.

Rest In Peace Sir.

Setty

One of the sweetest swings I ever saw. A hell of a hitter right up until the end. I had the pleasure of seeing him several times in Houston when I was a kid.

what a player!

RIP indeed
Wow. RIP, Stan the Man! Baseball needs more people like you. What a role model for the game, fans, and kids. I loved Stan the Man when I was growing up. He put out a 33 1/3 rpm vinyl record with a handbook where he taught hitting. I wore that record out, and was a pretty good hitter in my youth.

Great man.
Before the Dodgers and Giants moved west and prior to the Colt-45's (later Astros) were an expansion team in Houston, St. Louis was the western most franchise in the Bigs. And they had a huge radio network in the midwest and southwest. Like so many young boys growing up in the southwest during the late '40s and '50s, it was, for me, the St.Louis Cardinals all the time. It was a shame that the Cardinals didn't win a pennant after 1948 until 1967, the majority of Musial's career that ran between 1941 and 1963. If they had, Stan The Man would have greater recognition now than he does. But, he was an uncontraversial, genuinely nice guy who only generated headlines with his game on the field. Bless him. He was a true role model.
One of the top 5 players to ever play the game.
The old Houston "Buffs" were a farm team for St Louis. Stan was my favorite player.
I have been fortunate to have seen baseball in every Houston stadium from the old "Buffs", 45s, Astrodome, and MM. Had my firt taste of "beer" at Buffs; it was Falstaff.
RIP Stan "The Man"

1953 Topps:

1955 Topps:

The Golden Years of Baseball - before free agency and doping !
let us not forget this guy, one of the best managers

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/sp...ies-at-82.html
Birds of a feather...
Hall of Famer as a player. FAR FAR more important:
HALL OF FAMER AS A PERSON
Today's youth should look at him as an example of how to live your life.
Great story on the life of "THE MAN"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb...?sct=uk_t11_a5