DFW job market

As some of you may know I'm graduating college in a few weeks. As a result I have started job hunting. I have been using indeed.com to look online but I thought I would as if any of you had any thoughts on where to look. My to-do list is not getting any shorter LOL.
I have answered a similar question on one of my guitar forums, first put a good as you can resume on career builder, I get a lot of hits from it, I try and upload a new resume every six months, though I am a bit behind

Helps to know what you do and what the degree is in. I like my company and look to move around within but check websites of large companies.
Look to your family, friends and acquaintances. Networking is the number one way to a job. Resumes are good to have, but yours is just one of hundreds. A call to HR from a friend already in the company will go a long way. After that a job fair where you can get in front of the person, probably a HR rep, who may influence the hiring. Face to face will always beat a piece of paper or an online posting. Unless you are just looking for ANYTHING and then casting a wide online net is not a bad way to go.
If you have any friends in the business network with your contacts. If you have a skill where you can contract thru an agency to get your foot in the door do it. Be aggressive.
More than likely there is a network or community that would be more specific to your industry, it'll take some searching (online and just asking). Another good resource would be linkedin, there are job boards and such. Plus you can network; don't ask for a job though. Maybe ask locals if there were industry networking opportunities in your area; stuff like that. Talk to them as a peer.
Degree in? What are you wanting to do?
Start using linkedin, especially the forums. Usually you will find some people in there who could help you out. And pay the fee for only a few months while you look, once you have a job stop paying, when you don't start. I constantly get recruiters hitting me up on there. Good luck.
+1 on LinkedIn. The key to job hunting these days is networking. Finding a job especially in some industries is a full time job in itself. I also always have recruiters pinging me from LInkedIn. Put your resume on monster as well. Many HR departments pull searches from monster and indeed. By having it in a couple of searchable sources makes it easy to keep up to date as you only have a few places to update it.
Degree in Social Science, willing to do anything but teach. Was told Social Sciences is a good generals degree. Most of what I'm seeing want either experience or Masters
It really depends on whether or not you are looking to get (or eventually end up in...) a "high" paying job. That type of degree is not an ideal starting point, but you can still make it work. It will just be more difficult, imo. Someone else might also know better, though.

I'd say to definitely hit Monster, Career Builder, LinkedIn AND Indeed. Also, "network", and... like someone else said, BE AGGRESSIVE!

You can try asking some of your professors for ideas, too, if there are any you have a good relationship with. Even if you don't!

I'm sure not everyone who ends up being a teacher started out with that in mind... but, I'm sure they've also spent plenty of time thinking about their options (or what they wish they'd done with their degree instead ) either way!
If I think about where Social Science might fit into the company I worked for, the things that come to mind are HR or Training. You said you don't want to teach, but might training in a corporate environment be an acceptable compromise? Also possibly marketing, but probably not in a technical company and you may be competing with folks that have a marketing degree. You'll need a strategy to convince a manager that you can do the job.

Another possibility is working up to a store manager starting in small stores. I had a friend in college who had a Psychology degree, and she found work managing a bookstore in a mall.

I agree with those who suggested networking and using LinkedIn. The best chance at a job is to find a way to get in front of the manager who has an opening or a need to fill. Sending resumes blindly to HR is usually a waste of time; they get tons of them and it's difficult to stand out. On the other hand, many large companies post their openings on their web site. If you find one of those you may qualify for and apply directly for a specific job, that increases your chances.

If you are open to continuing in school, you might consider something business oriented or an MBA.
LinkedIn is the place to be for job hunters. Workintexas.com post many jobs in the social science field with the good ol State Agencies in Texas. But don't mention you hobby when they ask what hobbies you are interested in. I have to say a white lie and say I'm a foodie.
Linked In and any other kind of networking that's possible. Be proactive above all. You never know when opportunity is right in front of your face.

Also, don't be afraid to take a position that might be "beneath" what you're looking for. Many/most companies promote from within.
  • Ashi
  • 04-23-2016, 03:45 PM
[QUOTE=ithyphallicus;1058048423]Linked In and any other kind of networking that's possible. Be proactive above all. You never know when opportunity is right in front of your face.
@@@@@@@
Also, don't be afraid to take a posi11@@1tion that might be "beneath" what you1're @@1@@1@1@l@@@o@@o1kin@g for@Many/mo@@@@1@@@@@@st @com@@1@@@@@@@@panie@@@@s @promote fr@@@om 1wi@@thin.1[@@@/QUOTE]@@@@@@@1@1@@@
@@
^ lol