KRAV MAGA

I WANNA LEARN...ANYBODY WILLING TO TEACH??
If nobody steps up, try.... http://www.kravmagahouston.com/

- One location near Kirby and SW Freeway
- The other in Spring near I-45 and Stuebner
Ok kool Thanks..
I can teach you.
If nobody steps up, try.... http://www.kravmagahouston.com/

- One location near Kirby and SW Freeway
- The other in Spring near I-45 and Stuebner
Originally Posted by seventonine
also in Chinatown, BW8 just north of Bellaire.
I have a purple belt in bjj. I'm interested in tit for tat.
I WANNA LEARN...ANYBODY WILLING TO TEACH?? Originally Posted by AlaniiStarr
I don't have any experience with it directly but I have been interested in it for a while now just because of it's practicality

From what I understand here is what you need to know.

Stay on your feet at all costs.

Be prepared and able to disable your opponents or kill them if necessary by whatever means available to you or die.

Krav Maga was "developed" in the Jewish ghettos during Nazi occupation as a method of pure self defense. There are no katas or rituals. You will learn some basic common sense self defense techniques as well as the importance of keeping fit but it is not in itself a fitness system like mainstream martial arts sometimes are.

Since those two guys went around the world a couple of years ago making a series of shows on different styles of fighting, Krav Maga has become the new "thing". I suspect that the studios that are cropping up are putting a fitness spin on it to get more interest and drum up business but Krav Maga is to self defense what the Kumite is to sport fighting except there are no rules except win.

Sparring must be hell.
Krav Maga was developed by Imi Lichtenfeld as a means of quickly teaching close combat to the Israeli Defense Forces. A similar system is Hagana. Lichtenfeld had a boxing and wrestling background. He borrowed from these and various martial arts to create an ecclectic system comprised of simple, but effective, movements that rely on the body's natural responses. Basic punch, kick, knee, striking, and elbow techniques are emphasized as is checking or controllilng the opponent with leverage. Weapon disarms are a big part of the curriculum. The system is always changing so BJJ/ground fighting is now included to some degree. I couild go on and on about this, but you get the point. Sparring is optional. It depends on how aggressively you want to train. Some people just do pad and bag work combined with learing self-defense techniques. The drills will work you to death. They can be very challenging aerobically.

It is a good self-defense system in my opinion. You'll learn something in the vary first class that you can use immediately.
Krav Maga is a self-defense system based around kicking people in the crotch and was developed by French Mormons to help Caesar conquer the Mongols.
Krav Maga is a self-defense system based around kicking people in the crotch and was developed by French Mormons to help Caesar conquer the Mongols. Originally Posted by Allen Woody
Too bad the French didn't use it in either World War!

While any unarmed self defense technique is good to know, don't forget to pack your .45. An average, adequately trained shooter can beat the best martial artist any day.
Krav Maga is a self-defense system based around kicking people in the crotch and was developed by French Mormons to help Caesar conquer the Mongols. Originally Posted by Allen Woody

And Yes all ladies should learn it. I also suggest Russian Systema used by Spetznaz.
Thanks fellas and... Lady... I believe every lady should have some type of self defense and although I frequent the range, getting to a gun isnt always an option so im taking other measures..I will PM a couple of you on the issue =)
When I ran a gym up in Austin, we offered Krav Maga classes. I had to get into the red man suit a few times to help out. I wouldn't call it self defense, its more of an offensive thing designed to do damage, and that's coming from the guy who got his ass kicked by a room full of women on a number of occasions. Great stuff though, and brutal.
  • Trey
  • 12-08-2011, 05:41 PM
There is also free R.A.D. (well I think they charge 30 for the snacks and material) training its only a week and the police teach the class. It ends with ladies fighting off a large man in protective outfit. Only ladies are allowed. RAD stands for rape and aggression defense it is very basic last about a week or two. You get a certificate of completion when you are done. It may not be all you need but it is a start.
Careful, the student can only be as good as the teacher. Go professional...