Do opposites really attract?

I've noticed a common theme expressed when people discuss the hobby, that being the importance of chemistry between providers and their clients. Now, this got me thinking to the quantity and quality of information that I am seeing in ads, reviews, and so on.

My premise is that you can tell a lot about a person just by determining where they fall with respect to an often mutually-exclusive binary set and whether or not you feel that you are compatible with them based on this attribute. For example, are you:

A) A cat person, or
B) A dog person.

The corollary of my premise is that in this scheme, opposites do not usually attract. My observations tell me that a provider that is dog person and a client that is a cat person, for example, rarely develops into an ATF situation.

Am I right or wrong?

Now, in spite of Benchley's Distinction - "There may be said to be two classes of people in the world; those who constantly divide the people of the world into two classes and those who do not. " I recognize that many of these categories are not binary mutually exclusive. Music is a good example. Our world is full of fuzzy-set relationships and we are human beings that possess complex, multi-faceted, evolving personalities. However, I think you can tell more if one is forced to choose one or the other (perhaps "no answer" is allowed too).

I thought I'd just open it up by starting out with a few categories. For those who wish to respond (men and women), I'd like to know for each category, which set you most identify yourself with, other categories I haven't though of, what experiences you've had with opposites, and finally, whether or not I'm full of it.

So....

1. Cat or dog?
2. Mac or PC?
3. Liberal or conservative?
4. Rock or country?
5. Right-handed or left-handed?
6. Prius or Hum-vee?
7. Left-brain or right-brain?
8. Indoor or outdoor?
9. Doonesbury or Calvin and Hobbes?
10. Rain or shine?
11. Ski or board?
12. White or red wine?
13. Meat or vegetables?
14. Pencil or pen?
15. Text or talk?
16. Morning person or night owl?
17. AM or FM?
18. White or wheat?
19. S or M?
20. Pepsi or Coke?
21. Three Stooges or Sarah Silverman?
22. Chocolate or vanilla?
23. Summer or winter?
24. Ginger or Mary Ann?
25. Decaf or regular?
26. Whole or skim?
27. Introvert or extrovert?
28. Yankees or Red Sox?
29. Pragmatic or idealistic?
30. Proactive or reactive?
31. Immovable object or irresistible force?
32. Comedy or tragedy?
33. Pessimist or optimist?
34. Topless or All Nude?
35. LonelyGirl15 or Katers17?
36. Giver or Taker?
37. Top or Bottom?
38. Gloves or mittens?
39. Type I string with one supersymmetry in the ten-dimensional sense (16 supercharges) and based on unoriented open and closed strings or heterotic strings based on a peculiar hybrid of a type I superstring and a bosonic string with two kinds of variations within their ten-dimensional gauge groups: the heterotic E8xE8 string and the heterotic SO(32) string.
40. ... any others?

OK, OK, the gloves and mittens one is a bit silly.

And no, I am not a psych major working on a PhD doing some undercover research (although I do have a PhD in Engineering; I'm just your average guy trying to get laid). However, I do think I must have been a psychologist in an earlier life. And I'm having fun.

Here ya go:

1. Cat or dog? Cat
2. Mac or PC? Most Definitely Mac!!!
3. Liberal or conservative? Liberal (politics); Conservative (other things)
4. Rock or country? Rock
5. Right-handed or left-handed? Right-handed
6. Prius or Hum-vee? Prius
7. Left-brain or right-brain? Right Brain
8. Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
9. Doonesbury or Calvin and Hobbes? Doonesbury
10. Rain or shine? Yes. It takes both...
11. Ski or board? Who cares?
12. White or red wine? White!!!
13. Meat or vegetables? Yes.
14. Pencil or pen? Pen (except for crosswords)
15. Text or talk? Hate both...email.
16. Morning person or night owl? Both. Late to bed; early to rise.
17. AM or FM? FM
18. White or wheat? Wheat
19. S or M? Yes.
20. Pepsi or Coke? Coke.
21. Three Stooges or Sarah Silverman? Sarah (but I'm new to her...never liked the 3 stooges much.
22. Chocolate or vanilla? Choc. (BTW, are we talking sex here?)
23. Summer or winter? Fall.
24. Ginger or Mary Ann? Mary Ann...the Ultimate GND.
25. Decaf or regular? Regular...and Black!!!
26. Whole or skim? 2%.
27. Introvert or extrovert? Introvert.
28. Yankees or Red Sox? Boston (my brother hates me for this)
29. Pragmatic or idealistic? Even.
30. Proactive or reactive? Proactive
31. Immovable object or irresistible force? Just Plain Pig-Headed at times.
32. Comedy or tragedy? Dramas. Comedies are too light; tragedies are too dark.
33. Pessimist or optimist? Even.
34. Topless or All Nude? All nude.
35. LonelyGirl15 or Katers17? ????? (Guess I'm out of it.)
36. Giver or Taker? Depends on what.
37. Top or Bottom? Bottom
38. Gloves or mittens? Gloves, of course. Each digit needs its own home...no sharing with other digits.
39. Type I string with one supersymmetry in the ten-dimensional sense (16 supercharges) and based on unoriented open and closed strings or heterotic strings based on a peculiar hybrid of a type I superstring and a bosonic string with two kinds of variations within their ten-dimensional gauge groups: the heterotic E8xE8 string and the heterotic SO(32) string. OK, now you've launched into the Mensa stratosphere, and I'm not there.
40. ... any others? Male or Female? Female Originally Posted by JustinCase