Gun Show

Just left the Slidell Gun Show ... LMAO!!

"Gun Scalping Show" is what it should have been called. I saw a Ruger 10/22 priced at ... ONE THOUSAND!! Hey WTF??!!

Armalite AR-10 ... STOCK - nothing on it ... $2500. I told the guy ... "I know you can work that down at least some." "Nope" he said.

I bought a backpack - that's it. LMFAO!!

I did get to meet and talk with Stephanie Ford from Red Jacket (Sons of Guns) ... all I had to do was pretend to be interested in a $2,000 Colt Python revolver. The camera must add weight cuz she looks thick on the show but was pretty skinny in person ..

This crap has to stop. Everyone and their second cousin is out buying up all the guns and ammo. Plus with the Gov't buying rounds by the billion....it is almost impossible to get ammo at a reasonable price anymore. Price gouging at it's finest is all you find at the gun shows now.
Here's just part of an email I received today about George Soros owning most of the ammo manufacturing in the US. If anyone is interested in the full version please send me an email where I can send it, unless I can do an attachment to a post - not sure how to do that.

You may not know this but George Soros owns most of the ammunition
manufacturing companies and many arms manufacturers as well. He's selling
ONLY to the government right now, per WH & DHS orders. My son works for
ATK, who owns just about all the rest of the ammunition companies that
Soros doesn't own. He tells me that ATK has been ordered by the federal
government to curtail sales of ammunition, primers and powder to the
retail market. What you see currently on the shelves is old stock and
what's left in the warehouses since the CT shootings and new stock will
NOT be appearing anytime soon. ATK and Soros' companies have more than
enough government contracts to keep them going for years to come. Like
Soros' companies, ATK is a huge defense contractor and they've been told
to sell ONLY to the DOD, TSA, FBI, DHS and local/federal law enforcement
agencies. This is VERY scary and VERY ominous for what's coming down the
pike in the future.
An enterprising person would start a small club/company for reloading. I was looking at the Hornady progressive press....pretty sweet, but a huge up front investment. I have a nice stash of ammo and am not doing any target practice, since I don't know when I will be able to buy any more rounds.
Just kinda the way it is out there right now. Glade I stoked up on AR .223 mags when I did....Magpul PMAGS that I got for $15.00 in November now going for $99. Really hard to find even cheap target ammo
FN Herstal which owns Browning and Winchester is privately held coorporation out of Belgium. Good luck finding Winchester ammo though. Even cheaper than dirt is sold out of all their 9 mm.

I don't think it is so much a conspiracy theory as everyone is afraid of Obama and the crazy left taking away guns and ammo.....leading everyone to snap up what they can find.

I even know assholes buying ammo that they don't even have a gun for....as an "investment". The price of ammo has already doubled by some retailers.
Almost impossible to get primers these days, even at Powder Valley, and powder is also in short supply especially the 8 lb jugs. This happened in 2004. Couldn't buy ammo or primers for some time. I hope my previous post is not true and things will loosen up after a few months.
This crap has to stop. Everyone and their second cousin is out buying up all the guns and ammo. Plus with the Gov't buying rounds by the billion....it is almost impossible to get ammo at a reasonable price anymore. Price gouging at it's finest is all you find at the gun shows now. Originally Posted by disilene
Well, I had a bud there with me looking for 22 LR ammo. There was not a single round of .22 LR in that whole gun show ... not a single one. One guy came in off the streets with a backpack of ammo ... different calibers. Within two minutes he sold out of .22 LR.

I reload all my ammo because most of what I have is old WWI or WWII bolt action rifles that tend to have a bit of a headspace problem. So I just reload the cartridges without resizing the cases since they "form fit" to the chamber the first time you fire them. This works as long as you use them in the same rifle each time.

I have thousands of primers right now. I don't use a a progressive press though - I do it old school.
My previous post I meant to say 2008 not 2004. Not sure if disilene meant enterprising person reloading for others, which is not a good thing because of liability. I saw this coming so I am set for a long long time. I wouldn't say hoarding because I shoot a lot and have two progressive presses. One for small primers - 9s and 40s and the other for large primers for 45s.
I mean like a reloading club, like a gun club. Instead of shooting, you are a member to use the presses for reloading. They have the presses set up. you supply the powder, primers, and bullets....and you do it.

You rent the use of the press from the club....but all the liability is on you, cause you are the one that is doing it.
Well I guess I need to learn how to re-load. I have a .30-40 Krag I just love, but it's getting where you just cannot find ammo for it. And that was last year before things got crazy. AND 7-30 Waters. Let's just say I love calibers that everyone agrees are great & no one ever spends money to buy. Oy...

OTOH: I also have a regular 8mm Mauser. B/c it's nice to know you can "reach out and touch" @ about 1200 m w/nice, hot-loaded Czech 196 gr spitzers that didn't cost a lot to begin with and usually pretty easy to find.
disilene, you would think that a place like Louisiana Gun and Reloading in BR would do just that. They have the room and they even give classes on reloading, more to sell presses and reloading supplies. I imagine that may still not get them off the hook if someone double loads or doesn't load a round with powder and gets a squib then the next round blows a finger off. Guess, like you said, it would have to be a club owned by the members. If a club they can pool their money and buy in bulk. Haz Met fees are per 50 lbs which would be 50,000 primers or up to 50 lbs of powder.
Reloading's not all that expensive if you stick to a single stage press. The progressive's production advantage doesn't kick in unless you're doing hundreds of rounds at one sitting.

Been reloading since my senior year of high school (back then, we brought guns to shop class to work on them). Next, I'm going to start casting my own bullets. May even start swaging jacketed bullets after I check it out cost-wise.
You are right Reddy, lawyers would probably salivating to go after a place like that. It would have to almost have to be more of a neighborhood thing is someone's garage, with guys you could trust.

Though, I am sure they would soon have laws against such things if they became popular.
I was at walmart in kenner the other weekend, it is open 24/7 and went by the ammo case....clean except for some shotgun shells. People were trying to find out when the new stuff (if some had come in on the truck) would be stocked so they could snatch it up right away.

Anytime there is any panic...people buy it up even if they don't need it. Remember like 4? years ago when Costco put a limit on the number of bags of rice you could buy and suddenly everyone was buying rice?

Or when snow is forecast and all the bread and milk is sold out right away.

As far as gun shows....I have only gone to a few and all in the last 5+ years. Never saw a good deal. Some decent deals, but I saw better deals at Academy sports. I am not all that savvy in guns. Just a hunter when I have the time and a personal protection piece...so I don't know all that much, maybe I didn't realize that there were deals to be had.

Even some little survival pamphlet, they wanted $14 for it, like 25 total pages.
Gun shows aren't what they used to be-gatherings of collectors dealing in relics and historic pieces. It was rare to see new guns before the end of the '80s and for a few years you could get a good deal on those. Now, the main reason to go to a show is to have a chance to find something that might not be in stock at the local shops. You probably won't find a steal of a deal, but you may find something rare.