MMA Thread

Since there were some objections to talking about MMA in the Boxing thread, I figured I'd just start a separate one.

UFC 198 this weekend. Anderson Silva's out now, but the rest of the card is still pretty stacked.

Who's watching it?
Is Anderson Silva even still relevant?
Is Anderson Silva even still relevant? Originally Posted by Permission2Look
Yes and no. He'll still probably go down as one of the most dominant (if not the most) champion of all time for many years, but these days he's just past his prime and is pretty much gatekeeper to the upper ranks now.
Aaand Weidman out for UFC 199 due to injury.
It is never a bad night seeing Bisping get punched. And as much as I don't like the dude, I am glad he is finally getting a title fight.
Shit, forgot that you made this thread. I've been Team Rousey since her second professional fight but Cyborg's hand game looks to be on point. Still think there is some XY chromosome thing going on there though. Werdum getting laid out like that was totally unexpected. I was expecting them to go the distance.
It is never a bad night seeing Bisping get punched. And as much as I don't like the dude, I am glad he is finally getting a title fight. Originally Posted by White_nerdy_redneck
I actually don't mind Bisping, but I think he's going to get crushed by Rockhold. They already fought once in the UFC, no? Too bad Souza got hurt - I think he's the one who really deserves the title shot.

The most hilarious thing I saw was about Urijah Hall saying that Rockhold was ducking him. Wtf - the guy is coming off of a loss to a non-T5 ranked fighter (on top of some lackluster fights) and he thinks he deserves a title shot?

Shit, forgot that you made this thread. I've been Team Rousey since her second professional fight but Cyborg's hand game looks to be on point. Still think there is some XY chromosome thing going on there though. Werdum getting laid out like that was totally unexpected. I was expecting them to go the distance. Originally Posted by Fishpie
I'm a Rousey fan too. You also have to remember that Cyborg is physically way bigger than Rousey also. Plus there's that whole PED use thing (which you could really hear in her voice in the post fight interview).

I know people always say they could tell, but I thought the fight was going to end quickly. Neither Werdum nor Miocic were really moving their head around and against someone with Miocic's power, you can't just stand in front of him and let him go to town on your face. When he started landing those clean unanswered hits, I knew it was going to be lights out soon for Werdum.

Heavyweights don't really excite me because of their general slow pace of fights and gassing out, but I bet Velasquez gets the next shot if he beats Browne.

On a side note, anyone see that DJ signed an 8 fight contract with the UFC? I'm a huge fan of him and actually follow his Twitch stream as well. It's pretty cool to see him talk pretty candidly about fighting while he's playing video games.
Yeah Uriah hall is crazy. I thought he was going to be a huge success coming from how badass the dud looked on TUF, but... Not so much.

But 199 looks like a great card. But have you seen what all is going on for 200. Sheesh. Stacked is an understatement for sure.
But 199 looks like a great card. But have you seen what all is going on for 200. Sheesh. Stacked is an understatement for sure. Originally Posted by White_nerdy_redneck
I just wish they would stop trying to make Sage Northcutt happen. Not excited by that UFC 200 fight at all. They should just have him go be on Dancing with the Stars or something haha.
Yeah Uriah hall is crazy. I thought he was going to be a huge success coming from how badass the dud looked on TUF, but... Not so much.

But 199 looks like a great card. But have you seen what all is going on for 200. Sheesh. Stacked is an understatement for sure. Originally Posted by White_nerdy_redneck
Yeah they're really putting a lot of effort into 200.

I'm actually glad the McGregor / Diaz fight got cancelled for 200. If Diaz can beat McGregor's ass on about a week's notice, I don't see how he's not going to destroy him even worse after having a full camp. The rest of the fights on the card look good though.
It's not bad enough that McGregor got his ass whooped by Diaz but the fact he believes he's worth $100 mil to fight Gayweather.
It's not bad enough that McGregor got his ass whooped by Diaz but the fact he believes he's worth $100 mil to fight Gayweather. Originally Posted by Fishpie
Yeesh, is he asking for 100 mil now? Last I heard, Mayweather had offered him 50 mil to fight.
I would step in the ring for an easy ass whooping for $50 million.
I would step in the ring for an easy ass whooping for $50 million. Originally Posted by Fishpie
That would buy him a lot of red panties.

Also, Penn off of the 199 card now. Got busted by USADA for using an IV for weight cutting.