you say it best...when you say nothing at all

Sorry about the title-lyric from a song I liked. Seemed apropos for this post.

So, I'm in my kitchen the other evening, and one of our lovely ladies had arrived. Although I'm not much of a drinker myself, I keep several bottles of nice wine in my fridge for guests. So...I offer the young lady in question her choice of wines, one of which i think would better suit her expressed preferences. To my surprise, she chose the other bottle. Her reason was, "that one. I don't drink wine with screw-on caps."

Now I know not everyone is a wine conneseur, but I was a bit startled. Mildly dismayed might be more accurate. For those who don't know, more and more reputable vintners have begun using screw caps. Just so people are aware, screw caps do not mean cheap.

Nonetheless, I politely put the $50 bottle away and served the $25 bottle that had a cork. Not that I'd be so gauche as to mention the cost to her, of course.

After all...sometimes you say it best when you say nothing at all.

Neither the first nor the last time courtesy requires my silence. Still, I thought I'd share this little tidbit so no one accidentally trots that little gem out.

Too funny!

Chew
  • ~Ze~
  • 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Ignorance about corkage is still pretty wide spread. Fact is, cork is porous, and was once treebark. That makes quality control a challenge. Something like 10% of wines can be spoiled with "cork taint." And get your minds out of my gutter!. :P

Fun fact: it's not just a "screw cap." It's a Stelvin Closure, if that makes people feel better about it. And they are used to improve quality control by removing cork from the equation. On the flip side, cork is still necessary to age wines, so it will always remain part of the quality wine making process.

But besides: why worry about her selection? She chose what she likes, which is the best you can hope for. Just because she did't choose the Chateau Swachgmire vintage 2002, doesn't mean much. She's happy, and you've been a good host.
haha another reason to stick to good ol h2o j/k
Not to worry, Alyssa--I already have a supply of Fiji for you.
Are the boxed wines too high falooting around here?
When the bottle with the cork is empty, buy some Mogen David and pour that in the bottle. Then offer it to her. lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5dtpw7zEm0
yup..... one great wine, a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc (New Zealand), was the 1st "capped" wine I was introduced to, back about 10 yrs ago.... the whole cork thing, as noted prior in the thread, is being replaced with caps.... Anyone remember Boones Farm Strawberry wine lol
90% of wine drinkers are unknowledgable, what else is new? BUT, does it matter?

My favorite is when you ask someone what kind of wine they like and they say "White Zin". Good God, that's not wine it's urine.

The most important thing in the wine world is drink what you like and say "fuck you" to everyone else. It's a very daunting thing to try to learn the ins and outs of wine, especially if you don't have a lot of money to throw at the education.

So, you want white zin with your 5 guys burger? By God have at it and more power to you. I'll toast with you.

Only a snob gives a shit what someone else likes.

Want to impress me with your knowledge as a Sommelier? Serve me Two Buck Chuck and a Milano cookie.

Personally I like Sterling "3 Palm" Merlot, but it's 50 dollars a bottle. Mabe a Nickel and Nickel if I can find it. On regular days I find the Chardonnay in the yellow box from Target to be pretty damned good, and I spend several days a year in the Napa Valley area for work and pleasure drinking on the expense account. Just drink what you like and don't worry. THAT is a real wine drinker. This shit isn't supposed to be taken that seriously.
I get a kick out of wine conversations. Uppity wine drinkers are generally (but not always) quietly laughed at by people who really know wine.

The truth is that we are in a golden age of wine (and beer for that matter). Vine varietals have been moved and grown successfully in soils and climates all over the world, with the best agricultural technology the planet has ever seen. Wine marketors and overhead-reducers have successfully created good product in screwtops and boxes. Transportation technology can move all this product all over the world. And more people can afford to drink it than ever. There's great wine out there in every price range (and still some terrible wine, too).

If I had a dime for every time I witnessed someone learn a few good things about wine, and taste a few good bottles, then get all snobby and uppity about their knowledge, then I'd be a wealthy guy. Lol

Great advice about "just drink what you enjoy." I echo that sentiment. OP, I wouldn't remain irked about her. I wouldn't even give it another thought.

Cheers!!
I asked a guy I was dating a long time ago what kind of wine does he like. His answer "in a box".

LOL
It's a Stelvin Closure not a screw cap. Everyone knows Zin is the best wine with a hamburger (not the white kind). Tongue placed firmly in cheek
Next time, just make sure it's Ze who you invite over.
I neglected to read Ze's post before I responded. She's spot on with her comments. I bet Ze and I could bore everyone else in the room to tears with a few hours of wininng. I was taught a very good lesson once by someone with much more wine knowledge than me "never let anything get so complicated it's not fun"

Ignorance about corkage is still pretty wide spread. Fact is, cork is porous, and was once treebark. That makes quality control a challenge. Something like 10% of wines can be spoiled with "cork taint." And get your minds out of my gutter!. :P

Fun fact: it's not just a "screw cap." It's a Stelvin Closure, if that makes people feel better about it. And they are used to improve quality control by removing cork from the equation. On the flip side, cork is still necessary to age wines, so it will always remain part of the quality wine making process.

But besides: why worry about her selection? She chose what she likes, which is the best you can hope for. Just because she did't choose the Chateau Swachgmire vintage 2002, doesn't mean much. She's happy, and you've been a good host. Originally Posted by ~Ze~

So, you want white zin with your 5 guys burger? By God have at it and more power to you. I'll toast with you.
Originally Posted by mansfield
What a rube ... Everyone knows the white zin goes with a Wendys double cheeseburger.
Well said! One of my favorite merlots was 5.99 when I first tried it. Now it's already 25-30 a bottle. I didn't mean to imply price was any indication of quality, nor even imply I was particularly knowledgeble about wine. People can drink what they like. However, the part that made me cringe was that the one with her preferred flavors (I asked her preference and then described both wines) was summarily dismissed because it had a 'screw-cap.'

To be honest, that was the only remotely off thing that evening. I liked the lady, the session, and would definitely repeat. Why post it? It's a couple of months after the fact, hopefully if she reads this she won't even remember the session so she'd have no cause for embarrassment, and it quietly keeps anyone else from making a minor faux pas.

In general, I try not to be too mean online. If it'd be impolite to say in person, it doesn't need to be said online.

Or maybe I'm just old!