lowering the national debt w/ new taxes

I won't go into a total rant, I'll only point out some simplistic notions on how our country can generate millions of new tax dollars. Can anyone guess?
Do what most of the rest of the world has done. Legalize this biz.
Not only would 100's of millions be generated in taxes which could be used to help the needy, help in providing education and a host of other worthy things, but would help many college bound girls pay for their education (without the threat which they have to face currently)
It would be good for the single guys, but even if made legal, I'm sure us guys with traditional minded spouses, wouldn't find much difference in their family life. Only not the fear of LE and ramifications afterwards.
Thought that after a new prez. was elected, it might just happen. However, now less than ever, will it ever happen. I guess at least that Gay marriages are slowly being accepted. Wonder when MoKan will?
Well said Headmaster, but i doubt that will happen in the near future. Hopefully it will change in time.
Legalize this biz.
Agreed, and I would also legalize drugs.

Think of it, between prostitution and drugs, we could wipe out a very large, expensive chunk of government bureaucracy which exists only to fight the war against personal choices. Billions of dollars to be saved there.

They would both generate (conservatively) billions of dollars in tax revenue.

And in the process many gangs that make their money from illegal activities would find their revenue sources have disappeared.

Including the drug cartels in Mexico and the rest of the world.

It makes no sense to continue to fight the wars on choice, but yet...our government continues to do so.
Wow. Someone other than me talking sense on this board. Refreshing.
Wow. Someone other than me talking sense on this board. Refreshing.
Crap.

COG agrees with me.

I guess that means I have to admit I'm wrong now.
I've said it before and I will say it again, the federal government should sell off it's property around the country. The buyers must be American citizens and, like Alaska, the must participate in a lottery after qualifying to purchase. That will prevent someone like Ted Turner from buying up all of the Rocky Mountains. He puts in his papers, qualifies, and maybe Joe Blow wins the bid instead of Ted. That should raise a couple of trillion dollars. There also needs to be a law on politicians that every single penny goes to debt reduction and not just to cover new spending in anticipation of the revenue. That is why we need a budget so we can hold them to what the budget is.
I shouldn't have to but; if we have a budget of 4 trillion dollars and land sale will bring in 1.5 trillion dollars then we can expect a debt reduction of 1.5 trillion dollars. If we don't have a budget and live on ongoing resolutions then an expected sale result of 1.5 trillion could (and probably will) result in an additional spending of around 1.5 trillion dollars. Debt reduction=almost zero
Crap.

COG agrees with me.

I guess that means I have to admit I'm wrong now. Originally Posted by Starry69
Starry, I know how scary it is when you are actually right for the first time. The trick is to not give up! Say something else right, and you will find that it gets easier. Try something easy, like, "President Obama is incompetent," or if it is easier, try "President Bush was incompetent." Either will work, and both will be right. Then, just agree with me, and you find that being right gets easier and easier. You can do it! I believe in you!