Voxer is not hobby friendly

There is a app called voxer that is available on smart phones. It allows instant half duplex conversation on smart phones. It makes the smart phone like a walkie talkie. It is a lot of fun, but it is problematic for hobbyist and providers alike.

The biggest problem is that it uses the numbers in your phone to give you a list of voxer users to communicate. Which would be fine if it was like a phonebook and and only showed you who you could communicate with, but it also puts you in the other person's list. So if you have a providers phone number is you phone book, even if you have never actually contacted her yet, she will see you in her voxer list.

That alone isn't that bad because it will not give the other person your actual phone number. And it would only tell the other person that you have their number programmed. What makes it a possible problem is that if your real name is in the setup then they now have your name.

This also bypasses the security of using google voice if you have the numbers programed in your phone for providers, but use google voice as your hobby phone.

Most important is if you use it do not use it on a phone that you also use connect to facebook. Or rather don't use the connect with facebook option. This will show the person who only had your phone number before, your facebook account. Photo and name on your facebook account is all it shows, but it all it takes is a search of facebook with the information and you can be found.

If you are wondering I have tried it by randomly adding phone numbers from BP and ECCIE and a have the face book accounts of a few providers. They of course see my information at the same time though.

A fake name on voxer would be the easy answer, but then all my family and friends with voxer would wonder who diud-diud was. No way to actually connect it with me as anyone with their number would show up in their voxer.
here's an idea...quit using it to call providers. i mean really... do you NEED instant 'walkie talkie' communication for the hobby? regular phone calls, emails, and texts have been getting the job done for as long as i've been hobbying.

use your phone as a PHONE. just because an app exists doesn't mean you have to use it. don't become a slave to the technology!

and i still have not found a single good reason to use facebook. maybe it's because i have no friends. at least none who will admit it.

JPdM
Here is an Idea. Pay attention. Did you read where I called a provider or wanted to use it to call a provider. I was pointing out if you have a provider's number in your phone it will show her whatever name you have listed in your voxer. I never used it to call a provider, you don't actually have to ever use it to communicate with a provider/hobbyist just have it on your phone and their number in your phone.

If you don't use the program this information was not meant for you.
Reading the app agreement is key. When you push the allow button when downloading an app, most times you are giving the inventor of the app access to your and your contacts information....hobby usage is not safe at all!
Here is an Idea. Pay attention. Did you read where I called a provider or wanted to use it to call a provider. Originally Posted by diud-diud
ok...i should have said 'don't use it to call a provider' instead of 'quit using it to call providers'. hope that helps you...and others.

JPdM
uh, if I understand this app as described, if some dumb hobbyist or provider uses it, then every Tom, DICK, Harry, and Alecia in his contact list has been dumped into some big database on the world-wide-web. Sounds like a great way for one dumb-s&*t to screw a lot of people's lives up.

And Alecia, I dropped your name in there so I could have an excuse to tell you that those pics of you in the long dress are extremely classy and sexy, sultry as I think your ad suggested. It shows that a lady does not have to expose her body to be truly sexy and sensual. Please keep it up.

TC
uh, if I understand this app as described, if some dumb hobbyist or provider uses it, then every Tom, DICK, Harry, and Alecia in his contact list has been dumped into some big database on the world-wide-web. Sounds like a great way for one dumb-s&*t to screw a lot of people's lives up.

And Alecia, I dropped your name in there so I could have an excuse to tell you that those pics of you in the long dress are extremely classy and sexy, sultry as I think your ad suggested. It shows that a lady does not have to expose her body to be truly sexy and sensual. Please keep it up.

TC Originally Posted by tigercat
True but unless you live in a cave and never used a credit or debit card your name and vital statistics are in a database or two already. This was meant as a warning for more realistic threats like nuisances and stalkers using it to get real world information.
ok...i should have said 'don't use it to call a provider' instead of 'quit using it to call providers'. hope that helps you...and others.

JPdM Originally Posted by Juan Pablo de Marco
you aren't even trying are you? You don't have to use it, just have it loaded on your phone. I've stated that several times.
True but unless you live in a cave and never used a credit or debit card your name and vital statistics are in a database or two already. This was meant as a warning for more realistic threats like nuisances and stalkers using it to get real world information. Originally Posted by diud-diud
I am not concerned about where I use my credit cards, telephones. I can protect what I do.

If some lady has me in her telephone, and uses this service, then my information may be dumped into a database without my knowledge.

Yeh, I know, hobby phones, etc. However, some of my hobby friends are also real life friends and we have called each other many times outside of the hobby.

If you had a bunch of ladies in your phone, you may have just dumped their information into the database without their knowledge or permission. I get really tired of the big brother watching, it is why I don't have a facebook page anymore.
Diud DIud I think Cate App might solve the issue your refererring to. The downside of Cate app it does not work with GVoice. Thanks for bring awareness for this app