72 years ago today....

• MC
  • 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM
72 years ago today, Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator was released in theaters. Directed by Chaplin, the film was his first feature film with full sound and was a satire on Hitler and the Nazi party. In the film, Chaplin plays the dual role of both a Jewish Barber (modeled after his silent film character The Tramp) and a dictator named Adenoid Hinkle. After all these years, the film still holds up as a great comedy, particularly the scenes between Hinkle and Napaloni, who is an obvious parody of Mussolini.

However, I think the film is best remembered for the speech Chaplin delivers at the very end. This occurs after the Jewish Barber and Hinkle have switched places. Even though it's from a film, it's still one of the most inspirational speeches I've ever heard:

It is a great speech.
Yep, so inspiratonal that C.O. Grits' and Teawipes' hero, Tailgunner Joe McCarthy, ran him out of the country as a Communist.
It could be that communists make inspirational films, couldn't it?
I'm not saying he was a commie, or that McCarthy wasn't a blowhard. But people hide their identities all the time, don't they, "Randy"..
Falsely implying Tea Party constituents admire McCarthy is a low down smear tactic.
There are probably more fraudulent voters than Tea Partiers who admire McCarthy.
It could be that communists make inspirational films, couldn't it?
I'm not saying he was a commie, or that McCarthy wasn't a blowhard. But people hide their identities all the time, don't they, "Randy"..
Falsely implying Tea Party constituents admire McCarthy is a low down smear tactic.
There are probably more fraudulent voters than Tea Partiers who admire McCarthy. Originally Posted by Jewish Lawyer
Slow day at the practice, eh? Let me say this about that, if imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then the Teawipe use of the exact tactics and methods as good ol' Joe eliminates the "Falsely implying" bit which then makes my reference neither low nor down and certainly not a smear.
Yep, so inspiratonal that C.O. Grits' and Teawipes' hero, Tailgunner Joe McCarthy, ran him out of the country as a Communist. Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
Please find a post of mine where I ever praised Joe McCarthy. I'd be interested. I have praised Gene McCarthy, but not Joe. You just love making stuff up, and then knocking it down, and pretending you're smart. It's not working.
Awww, gritsboy, why would I, or anyone else for that matter, bother to wade through 17,869+ mountains of caa caa? Besides, you have posted so many things on every side of any issue that it really doesn't matter, does it?
Then I'll save you some time. You are wrong, RaggedyAndy. Try something real for a change, and tell the truth. You will find it oddly refreshing.
1 in 17,886 (and counting)? I like my odds. You grab 'em to cut'n'paste based on the title and miniscule familiarity with their content and have been known to change sides against your own thread. Like I said, I like my odds.