Waco Kid's Weekly College Football Review week 14

What is Waco Kid's Weekly College Football Review? It is an ongoing weekly review of all things College Football!!

Each week upcoming games can be discussed and predictions made, name-calling after victories and general all-around college football discussion! Each week will be closed out by the next Monday and a new thread opened for the current college football schedule for each week.

Rules -
"Rules?? We don't need no stinkin’ rules!"
Actually we do.

WKWCFR rule 1
"Lies, damn lies and statistics!"
British Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli

If you quote a stat, record, 3rd down conversion rate, an all-time mark or the number of jock straps an 85-man team needs ...

Post it! If you can't post a link to it, it's bogus!
What's valid in the Internet age? Just about anything! Any of the major sports publications, local newspapers, any of the big networks and official school and NCAA sites just to cover the big ones.

WKWCFR rule 2
Predictions must be posted 1 day in advance! If you haven't read the sports page and figgured out who's going to win by the day before ya never will!
Must be time stamped before Midnight the day before game-day, for any weekly games Thur-Sun on the current weekly schedule.

So there you have it, pretty basic! You can post on general topics of your favorite teams regardless of that week's opponent. Just remember WKWCFR rule 1

Polls

Friday, Dec 3

24 N Illinois vs Miami (OH)

Saturday, Dec 4

Rutgers vs 23 W Virginia

14 Nevada vs LA Tech

Utah St vs 9 Boise St

1 Oregon vs Oregon St

2 Auburn vs 18 S Carolina

20 Florida St vs 12 VA Tech

13 Nebraska vs10 Oklahoma

UNLV vs 25 Hawaii

Friday, Dec 3

24 N Illinois vs Miami (OH) - N Illinois

Since when is N Illinois ranked? since this week LOL. N Illinois has only lost to Iowa St. and Illinois, while all are 1A clearly these two are larger schools, and against more evenly matched teams N Illinois has put up lots of points so N Illinois it is.
Saturday, Dec 4

Rutgers vs 23 W Virginia - W Virginia

going all in with Stewy, he's not RichRod and WVa isn't UM but he's actually doing better. And let's not forget WVa is at home and Rutgers is 4-7 this year.

14 Nevada vs LA Tech - Nevada

Nevada the slayers of the smurfs would have to show up up drunk to let a 5-6 La Tech knock them off a special year.

Utah St vs 9 Boise St - Boise St

Smurfs win on pride and talent to finish another great year.

1 Oregon vs Oregon St - Oregon

All in with the Duckies to win the Civil War and lock up a spot for the Big Crystal Ball.

2 Auburn vs 18 S Carolina - Auburn

S Carolina faltered against Bama while Auburn rallied, in the end talent should win this so Aubie goes on to play for the Big Crystal Ball.

20 Florida St vs 12 VA Tech - VA Tech

I predicted Va Tech would win at least 9 after starting 0-2 so while Jimbo has Free Shoes U looking good, going with Beamerball.

13 Nebraska vs 10 Oklahoma - Oklahoma

Nebraska has issues at QB and that's never good in a) a championship game b) a rivalry game. Big Game Bozo wins .. a big game.

UNLV vs 25 Hawaii - Hawaii

Surf's up, dude. UNLV is 2-10 and Hawaii is 9-3, you are what your record says you are.
Friday, Dec 3

24 N Illinois vs Miami (OH) - N Illinois

Since when is N Illinois ranked? since this week LOL. N Illinois has only lost to Iowa St. and Illinois, while all are 1A clearly these two are larger schools, and against more evenly matched teams N Illinois has put up lots of points so N Illinois it is.

24 N Illinois 21 Miami (OH) 26N Illinois' stay in the top 25 will be brief LOL. This was actually a good game with Miami winning in the closing seconds.

Saturday, Dec 4

Rutgers vs 23 W Virginia - W Virginia

going all in with Stewy, he's not RichRod and WVa isn't UM but he's actually doing better. And let's not forget WVa is at home and Rutgers is 4-7 this year.

Rutgers 14 23 W Virginia 35Think RichRod is homesick? probably not on paydays. Stewy isn't flashy and many criticized his hire after the ZerOU massacre post RR's escape to Ann Arbor but so far Stewy has kept WVa close to it's high under RR.

14 Nevada vs LA Tech - Nevada

Nevada the slayers of the smurfs would have to show up up drunk to let a 5-6 La Tech knock them off a special year.

14 Nevada 35 LA Tech 17Nevada finishes a surprise year strongly without any post-smurf hangover.

Utah St vs 9 Boise St - Boise St

Smurfs win on pride and talent to finish another great year.

Utah St 14 9 Boise St 50Smurfs also rebound strong, 23-1 is hard to do in any league and they also move up to prove themselves at a higher level, even without TCU.

1 Oregon vs Oregon St - Oregon

All in with the Duckies to win the Civil War and lock up a spot for the Big Crystal Ball.

1 Oregon 37 Oregon St 20Duckies swim over arch-rival and earn their shot at the Big Crystal Ball.

2 Auburn vs 18 S Carolina - Auburn

S Carolina faltered against Bama while Auburn rallied, in the end talent should win this so Aubie goes on to play for the Big Crystal Ball.

2 Auburn 56 18 S Carolina 17Auburn pulls away strong from SC and also earns it's spot for the Big Crystal Ball, controversy included.

20 Florida St vs 12 VA Tech - VA Tech

I predicted Va Tech would win at least 9 after starting 0-2 so while Jimbo has Free Shoes U looking good, going with Beamerball.

20 Florida St 33 12 VA Tech 44Told ya! Beamerball alive and well. on the downside once again Va Tech gets left wondering what might have been.

13 Nebraska vs 10 Oklahoma - Oklahoma

Nebraska has issues at QB and that's never good in a) a championship game b) a rivalry game. Big Game Bozo wins .. a big game.

13 Nebraska 20 10 Oklahoma 23How embarrassing would this game have been if ZerOU had lost? They dominated statistically and the bugeaters did everything possible to lose this game.

UNLV vs 25 Hawaii - Hawaii

Surf's up, dude. UNLV is 2-10 and Hawaii is 9-3, you are what your record says you are.

UNLV 21 25 Hawaii 59Well you really are what your record says you are. Cowabunga!
it's all but certain the title game will match Oregon v Auburn. I picked Oregon as my early favorite to win the Big Crystal Ball and unless something major occurs between now and the game such as an injury to a key Oregon player i'll stick with the Ducks to win a shootout type game. Neither team has the preferred top ten defense of a champion but both have monster offenses. Fig Newton is the key to Aubie's offense however as i see it Oregon has more weapons. Could Fig Newton have a VY-like game and counter all of Oregon's weapons? yes, however i'll stick with the Ducks for two reasons. 1) i'd simply like to see the Ducks win because they have no prior elite standing. They are a team of new destiny and that's a good thing for college football. 2) While Aubie may not be tainted that we know of yet, i simply can't believe Fig Newton isn't. He didn't know Preacher was shopping him? please. media savants, politicians and lawyers call this plausible deniability. So do college football a Texas style favor and win this game, Ducks!
Well it's certain now.

BCS MATCHUPS

ROSE
Site: Pasadena, Calif.
Date: Jan. 1, 4:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: TCU vs. Wisconsin

FIESTA
Site: Glendale, Ariz.
Date: Jan. 1, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Connecticut vs. Oklahoma

ORANGE
Site: Miami
Date: Jan. 3, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Stanford vs. Virginia Tech

SUGAR
Site: New Orleans
Date: Jan. 4, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Arkansas vs. Ohio State

BCS TITLE GAME
Site: Glendale, Ariz.
Date: Jan. 10, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Oregon vs. Auburn

Other Bowl Games

NEW MEXICO
Site: Albuquerque
Date: Dec. 18, 2 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: BYU vs. UTEP

HUMANITARIAN
Site: Boise, Idaho
Date: Dec. 18, 5:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Northern Illinois vs. Fresno State

NEW ORLEANS
Site: New Orleans
Date: Dec. 18, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Ohio U. vs. Troy

BEEF 'O'BRADY'S
Site: St. Petersburg, Fla.
Date: Dec. 21, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Southern Miss vs. Louisville

MAACO LAS VEGAS
Site: Las Vegas
Date: Dec. 22, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Utah vs. Boise State

POINSETTIA
Site: San Diego
Date: Dec. 23, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Navy vs. San Diego State

HAWAII
Site: Honolulu
Date: Dec. 24, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Hawaii vs. Tulsa

LITTLE CAESARS
Site: Detroit
Date: Dec. 26, 8:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Florida International vs. Toledo

INDEPENDENCE
Site: Shreveport, La.
Date: Dec. 27, 5 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Georgia Tech vs. Air Force

CHAMPS SPORTS
Site: Orlando
Date: Dec. 28, 6:30 p.m.
Matchup: N.C. State vs. West Virginia

INSIGHT
Site: Tempe, Ariz.
Date: Dec. 28, 10 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Iowa vs. Missouri

MILITARY
Site: Washington, D.C.
Date: Dec. 29, 2:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Maryland vs. East Carolina

TEXAS
Site: Houston
Date: Dec. 29, 6 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Illinois vs. Baylor

ALAMO
Site: San Antonio
Date: Dec. 29, 9:15 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Oklahoma State vs. Arizona

ARMED FORCES
Site: Dallas, Texas
Date: Dec. 30, noon, ESPN
Matchup: Army at SMU

PINSTRIPE
Site: New York
Date: Dec. 30, 3:15 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Kansas State vs. Syracuse

MUSIC CITY
Site: Nashville
Date: Dec. 30, 6:45 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: North Carolina vs. Tennessee

HOLIDAY
Site: San Diego
Date: Dec. 30, 10 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Nebraska vs. Washington

MEINEKE
Site: Charlotte
Date: Dec. 31, noon, ESPN
Matchup: Clemson vs. USF

SUN
Site: El Paso, Texas
Date: Dec. 31, 2 p.m., CBS
Matchup: Miami vs. Notre Dame

LIBERTY
Site: Memphis
Date: Dec. 31, 3:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: UCF vs. Georgia

CHICK-FIL-A
Site: Atlanta
Date: Dec. 31, 7:30 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Florida State vs. South Carolina

TICKETCITY
Site: Dallas
Date: Jan. 1, noon, ESPNU
Matchup: Northwestern vs. Texas Tech

OUTBACK
Site: Tampa
Date: Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ABC
Matchup: Penn State vs. Florida

CAPITAL ONE
Site: Orlando
Date: Jan. 1, 1 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Michigan State vs. Alabama

GATOR
Site: Jacksonville
Date: Jan. 1, 1:30 p.m., ESPN2
Matchup: Michigan vs. Mississippi State

GODADDY.COM
Site: Mobile, Ala.
Date: Jan. 6, 8 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Miami (Ohio) vs. Middle Tennessee

COTTON
Site: Irving, Texas
Date: Jan. 7, 8 p.m., Fox
Matchup: Texas A&M vs. LSU

BBVA COMPASS
Site: Birmingham, Ala.
Date: Jan. 8, noon, ESPN
Matchup: Pittsburgh vs. Kentucky

KRAFT FIGHT HUNGER
Site: San Francisco
Date: Jan. 9, 9 p.m., ESPN
Matchup: Boston College vs. Nevada
While my adopted team Texas ain't going bowling this year (no argument here, we don't deserve it) both my Alma Mater Louisville and my homeys Kentucky are going bowlin'. for a bassetball state this is actually a real rarity that both major schools are in Bowl games in the same year. Yes they are goin' to the who-cares.com bowl and the whatever.com bowl LOL but still reason enough to celebrate.
Congrats to OU for beating the children of the corn. Venables was smart after the first quarter and blitzed on almost every play where Tmart was in shotgun. Hell, we were doing better with Burkhead at QB- Wildcat. Waste of a great defense once again.

Cannot imagine a more uninspiring bowl matchup then a rematch with a 6-6 Washington team.
QB issues certainly hurt the bugeater's chances. might well have picked the Children if TMart had been healthy. Those Holiday bowls are a bitch Texas had to suffer a few of them. We'd take it this year that's for sure. But at least it's warm in SoCal unlike Lincoln this time of year! Maybe Bo will take the team to see Shamu

I heard today that ut fired OC,offensive line coach and defensive line coach. I told my son in law (who lives in Austin) to stay away from our coaches, there was talk up here that our OC Dana Holgorsen was headed to ut

then he came back and said he was headed to Florida

btw zerou's OC is taking the Indiana job

btwII ut, Mangenio was offensive line coach at zerou
That Hawaii-Tulsa game could be a high-scoring affair.
Indeed, Hawaii is putting up Junebug-like numbers this year, Tulsa not quite so much but high scoring none the less.

Actually no one at Texas was fired, Davis resigned and McWhorter and Tolleson retired. Call it any way you like, allowing an "executive" to resign in lieu of being fired is standard corporate america. the CIO of my company was allowed to resign, if he had not he certainly would have been fired. The arrogant dufus wouldn't cooperate with an outside audit of a major IT project asked for by the new CEO whose background was marketing. The CEO didn't need to be an IT geek to know that a project that is over-budget and overdue has problems. that arrogant CIO incorrectly assumed the audit would automatically doom him when in fact it had a 50-50 chance of saving his job, if nothing else it would have bought him a few more months to plan an exit strategy. the audit would have shown what anyone in IT with a brain knew, the CIO had allowed the project to get way out of scope. the audit should have said "scale back to the original goal and continue", of course the auditors were retained to help run the project after the CIO resigned and eventually got fired for pushing a plan that was too complicated and would have gotten them big contracts to finish the software. but i digress.

it does look like Wilson is headed to IU, a coach killer job if there ever was one.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1162119

Holgorsen to UT i haven't heard, his offenses first at Northwestern and now at OSU certainly put up big numbers, with a good balance of running vs throwing. Mack should like that. Myself, I'd like to see Mack go get The Pirate. Yep The Pirate! that's more than a little radical change in direction ya think? LOL but The Pirate has put up huge numbers at Tech so you could only wonder what he could do with better overall talent and a good defense to back him up. The Pirate really wants the Miami job but UM doesn't appear interested due to the ongoing mess with Tech, that's the Cane's loss if you ask me. Just think what Leach could do with all that blue-chip Florida talent on offense. The Donald isn't helping LOL Shalala isn't going to be swayed by any BS from him. To a degree this makes some sense for both UT and the Pirate, he's not getting any interest due to the Tech mess and perhaps his best short-term option is to take an OC job at a major program like UT, immediately make UT an offensive monster for a few seasons, by then the Tech mess will be over (he'll win) and then he can cherry-pick any top job he wants. one possible issue is the coach-in-waiting dealio with Muschamp, Leach may lobby for a fair shot at taking over at UT and if not for the deal with Muschamp that would be reasonable. it would be interesting to pit Leach and Muschamp against each other, in a friendly competition (if that's possible LOL) to take over. Leach clearly would have a huge edge given he's already been a head coach, but also a possible huge downside in that he is known not to be good at/interested in the PR side of being a head coach. that's no small issue at a school like UT.

Mack probably won't make any major hires until after the bowls are over so as to not interfere with any top assistants such as Holgorsen or just about any other top OC as they plan for their bowl games, of course The Pirate is available immediately! the one thing i don't expect nor want is for the Major to become the OC, yes he was Saban's OC at Bama, for one season. This simply isn't the right situation for him, he doesn't have enough experience yet and this hire has to be a good one for UT, it's unlikely Mack would allow the Major to be put in such a no-win situation. if the context was different, say that UT did decent on offense and our record had been say 8-4 or 7-5 at the worst and Davis simply decided it was time to retire then promoting the Major would make a lot of sense, perhaps even be the best move for continuity. But that didn't happen so Mack needs a guy who is proven as an OC.

Of course all bets would be off if Richt leaves/gets fired at Georgia (he shouldn't, UGA's expectations were unrealistic in part due to Richt's prior success and also that WR that was ineligible for the first part of the season, they were a different team when he came back) but if UGA came calling it would be hard for Muschamp to turn it down. That would allow The Pirate to come in with a HC-in-waiting dealio himself. We'll see what happens.
well there's already quite a list of usual (and some unusual) suspects LOL for Texas to pick for OC. in no particular order the Dallas News lists

Major Applewhite, Texas - won't happen, unproven as OC and in part due to being mentored by .. Greg Davis.

Norm Chow, UCLA - might be decent given track record at BYU and USC, also ship may be sinking at UCLA, not a longterm hire due to age.

Bryan Harsin, Boise State - young but already an OC for 5 years, could be best pick given Boise has been impressive on offense.

Dana Holgorsen, Oklahoma State - certainly proven, however he's a "Leach guy" but he runs more than the Pirate did. also not likely to bolt OSU for a rival and could wait for HC job.

Gus Malzahn, Auburn - unlikely he'd leave Auburn at this point, even if Newton bolts to NFL and he also probably will wait for HC job.

Mark Mangino, ex-Kansas - unlikely, personality doesn't fit and if Wilson does go to IU Big Game Bozo may call.

Jim McElwain, Alabama - almost certainly the best hire for what UT wanted to do this year, unlikely he'd leave Bama for another OC job.

Chad Morris, Tulsa - only 1 year as OC at college level, who cares if he coached Gilbert in high school?

Mike Leach, CBS College Sports - My guy!! Carlton says no way but in the "what if" world he cites same reason i do, Leach can rehab his rep and we certainly have the bucket 'o cash to pay him the same 900k as Muschamp.
Holgorsen to UT i haven't heard, his offenses first at Northwestern and now at OSU certainly put up big numbers, with a good balance of running vs throwing.

but first Holgorsen was never at Northwestern, you are confusing zerou's K Wilson, who was at Northwestern

http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-foot...en_dana00.html

but now WTF zerou's Landry Jones wins the Sammy Baugh award

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh_Awards

he was 27th in passing efficiency

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/...fficiency.html

#3 in passing yards per game

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/...-per-game.html

#2 in passing yards

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/...ing-yards.html

and drum role please, 17 interceptions #11

http://www.ncaa.com/sports/m-footbl/...tercepted.html

WTF?

Leach to ut, I think he will wins his lawsuit with Tech and lives happily in the Keys next to Jimmy Johnson
ROTFL. Them Sooners are "different" breed ain't they?

Yeah it was Wilson at Northwestern, Holgorsen had been at Houston.

The Pirate is a long shot certainly, but as Chip Brown also noted since he isn't getting much interest due to the Tech situation it would be an excellent way to prove himself again and if he duplicates his Tech numbers his phone would be ringing off the hook.

I agree he'll prevail against Tech, that was a total screw job by that old turd Meyers and Craig James, who could end up losing his sweet gig at ESPN over this, ESPN's own ombudsman was critical of the coverage.

Leach wants to coach again, and he will at some point. Also notice that Adam James has hardly played this year under Tubby, while Tubby isn't prone to passing nearly as much as the Pirate he has continued the offense mostly as it was under Leach just slanted it a little more toward the run. Leach actually played James in about 9 games as a sophmore so Craig really can't say he wasn't getting time, just not as much as Craig "thought" he should. What a dufus, notice he hasn't tried to pressure Tubby (that we know of), Tubby certainly wouldn't give in one bit and well he used up his free pass as a whining football parent already.

if you goog "espn ombudsman mike leach" you'll get plenty of hits, this is one is written by Ohlmeyer himself.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...don&id=4844048