Bumping old threads issue

• Modda
  • 07-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Question to mods/owners/etc..

Why can't we (you..typically a script) close the threads that are older than 30days (from the latest post in that thread), in that way no one can bump the threads and even mods doesn't need to issue points and save mods time to check such threads?

M.
There is no blanket script that I know of to automatically close a thread after 30 days of inactivity. I have taken the lead on this and am slowly locking threads past the 30 day marker... however, it has to be done manually and only 200 threads can be modified at a time... so, it is going to take a while seeing as how several hundred reviews have been posted in the independent forum alone for just this year... it is going to take time.
In the meantime, people could simply follow some common sense rules and not resurrect the dead on here.
  • Modda
  • 07-08-2011, 09:09 AM
Thanks FS for the update and CK yea..not every one follows the rules before posting.
Here is the way I always understood the rule.
A review thread should not run longer than 30 days from the first post. That's to keep newer girls from being buried on back pages by WKs bumping their favorites.

On discussion threads the thread is allowed to run on as long as it gets a post within 30 days of the last prior post. If it has been 30 days or more since the last post it is dormant and should remain that way. It is very hard for a moderator to track this. And I agree with FS - as far as I know there is no option in the software to make it automatic.
Thanks FS for the update and CK yea..not every one follows the rules before posting. Originally Posted by modda

I know that is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just reread rule 13#, my understanding is that only reviews have a hard 30 day limit, and that discussion threads are allowed more freedom. Do I have that wrong?
I just reread rule 13#, my understanding is that only reviews have a hard 30 day limit, and that discussion threads are allowed more freedom. Do I have that wrong? Originally Posted by growler
Omahan's interpretation of the rule is the one that I have found in the staff discussions area. So you might not be technically "wrong" but practically, your interpretation is not the one followed.

This should not be an issue where no points are given. As you can see from Omahan's post, there is good reason and logic behind the staff view of this rule.
I think in most cases, it is usually a newbie who will unwittingly bump an old thread. They are probably not yet aware of the rules, and just want to contribute or inquire about a topic they may have just seen for the first time. Someone usually sets them straight rather quickly. It's not really a huge problem, is it?
It really is not even a small problem. You are exactly right, it is typically someone new. FS and I don't get worked up about it but closing the old threads will make it a non-issue.
I can understand this rule for reviews but everything else... i dont get it... Originally Posted by wubians
Its just as easy to start a new thread, and if you have to, paste and copy a link to the old thread if it adds something relevant.
In a comment made by FS in the Staci Stacked review thread, he makes no distinction between Discussion threads and Review threads in terms of how the 30 days are counted, both being counted from the last previous post. I think our two mods, BBD and FS, need to put their heads together and let us know how they intend to administer the rule so everybody has a clear and consistent understanding. If they actually are able to keep up with closing all the threads once 30 days has passed without a post, it will be a moot point.
That sounds like a ton of work without a blanket script just to make sure people follow the rules. Better you than me! Keep up the good work!
I did not make the distinction between the discussion threads and the review threads, however, there is a distinction.

I don't plan on locking down threads in discussion boards. Often times a discussion will die off and something relevant will revive it after a longer period of time has passed.

With Review Boards, I do plan to lock those down after the 30 day period. Before, I mentioned a 30-45 day lock period after the last posting. I said this because, quite frankly, I have a life. And quite honestly I don't plan on camping out on my computer and cell phone just waiting for that 30 day period to come up. If I'm busy... it might make it to 40 days before I even notice. That's how it goes.

Here's the deal... if someone revives a Review posting after the 30 day period with information which is not relevant (i.e.: Wow, that sounds hot!) I will post a message in that thread concerning it being beyond the 30 day limit and close it out so no one else can contribute their comments.