Revolver, 2022 Remix

So, I slapped on the headphones and listened to the new Giles Martin remix of the greatest album the Beatles ever made, in beautiful 24-bit stereo. George would be proud of the kid, maybe his best work yet. Flawless.

I had to listen through headphones because I wanted to get the full effect of “Tomorrow Never Knows”. Stereo psychedelia as God intended. Effects panning left to right, then right to left. Then towards the ends the drums seem to start moving more to the foreground…I don’t remember that in previous versions.

I won’t say it was revelatory…no reason to get crazy with a masterpiece, but this 56 year old record sounded as clean as anything of that era could.

My only regret was that I was sober and not sharing the experience with a hot naked chick. May have to remedy that with my next listen.

Life is good, particularly when listening to great music. Happy night before Election Day, good people!
Thanks for posting, TinMan. Revolver is one of two albums (Stephen Stills' self-titled 1970 release being the other) that I like, but can't stand to listen to, owing to a poor mix. I always thought George Martin was the true Genuis behind the Beatles, so I'm sure his Son would have done justice with his new mix. I will definitely check this one out.
The mastering of Stills’ album was true crap. I don’t know if anyone ever cleaned it up.

The other masterpiece in the category of, can someone please fix this thing, is Ray Charles’ “The Genius of Ray Charles”.

I guess with Revolver and some of the other Beatles’ albums of their middle period the stereo mix (vs the mastering) really was the problem, right? A lot of “fake stereo” effects with vocals on one side and instruments on the other. That may be one reason why the audiophiles tended to prefer the mono versions.

Giles does a great job on all of these of making subtle changes. Probably more than anyone else could he understands his dad’s vision, and wants to use modern technology to complete it vs change it.
So, I slapped on the headphones and listened to the new Giles Martin remix of the greatest album the Beatles ever made, in beautiful 24-bit stereo. George would be proud of the kid, maybe his best work yet. Flawless.

I had to listen through headphones because I wanted to get the full effect of “Tomorrow Never Knows”. Stereo psychedelia as God intended. Effects panning left to right, then right to left. Then towards the ends the drums seem to start moving more to the foreground…I don’t remember that in previous versions.

I won’t say it was revelatory…no reason to get crazy with a masterpiece, but this 56 year old record sounded as clean as anything of that era could.

My only regret was that I was sober and not sharing the experience with a hot naked chick. May have to remedy that with my next listen.

Life is good, particularly when listening to great music. Happy night before Election Day, good people! Originally Posted by TinMan
Their music just stands the test of time. "Tomorrow Never Knows" was ground-breaking ... just amazing.
Their music just stands the test of time. "Tomorrow Never Knows" was ground-breaking ... just amazing. Originally Posted by GayleMeyers
Even more impressive when you think: they were the most popular pop band in the world, and they put something as opposite from pop as that on their album. Not only groundbreaking, but fearless as well.
Did you indulge in the Disney platform's "Get Back" documentary by Peter Jackson? I watched all 8 hours of it twice last December, and may go back for a 3rd time if it is still available now .... just amazing to watch them work. Of course, by then, John was zoned out on H and it was more Paul's band because he was in the moment, but I loved that we have some record like that to see how the sausage was made....
I thought it was great, too. I saw the original “Let It Be” documentary 40 years ago before it became unavailable. It was depressing and the best thing about Peter Jackson’s version is it showed how the guys still enjoyed playing together up to the very end. It was all the other shit outside the studio that made them hate one another.

Watching Paul create “Get Back” while the camera was running was one of the coolest things I’ve seen regarding the creative process. It was definitely worth the 8 hour investment lol.
I finally ordered Revolver, just now. What triggered that, is listening to this Chuck Berry Disc, that arrived in my mail today. I'm playing it now... Unbelievably good sound!

https://www.ericrecords.com/

My mind immediately turned to ''what else might interest me, that utilizes Digitally Extracted Stereo''?

Revolver.. Yes!

I'll report back my findings on Revolver's sound. Eager to experience more essential music with amazing sound reproduction.
Revolver was by far, hands down the shittiest album the Beatles ever recorded ..... Abbey Road and even the Allen Klein ruined mixing of Let It Be had much better songs, and the White album, too .....
Revolver was by far, hands down the shittiest album the Beatles ever recorded ..... Abbey Road and even the Allen Klein ruined mixing of Let It Be had much better songs, and the White album, too ..... Originally Posted by 00 gauge
By far the shittiest? Hmm.. I hate the stereo mix, but after listening to the Chuck Berry digitally extracted stereo mix from the mono masters, I expect the mix I hated will be redeemed when listening in a transformative mix overhaul.

I like Abbey Road better. But Revolver is #2, from the songs themselves. I did not own it until last night's purchase, simply due to the poor mix. The White Album is fine, but not a true album, IMO. More an assembly of basically solo songs from each Beatle. The first hint that their days as a group were coming to a close, Abbey Road not withstanding.

Revolver is worse than all of the pre-Rubber Soul albums? Wow. I think everything before Rubber Soul is boy band rubbish. I understand some people adore that Beatles period, and they were huge sellers, of course. But if you ''weren't there'', meaning, say 10 years old or more, when they hit Ed Sullivan, you see those songs for what they are, and not as something you experienced as a new culture phenomenon. ''Yesterday'' stands out, due to a timeliness of lyric and sentiment, but the rest is that same beat music tempo that had no depth.
So my verdict is...

This new mix is outstanding. I'm on my second listen, too good to stop after one. Very wide stereo, the songs jump out of the speakers, without the compression most mastered music since 1995 suffers from. Each instrument is heard fully, McCartney's Bass and Ringo's Drums in particular, stand out.
The measure of good music is how long it survives, and how many people revisit the tunes to record them anew. Even Count Basie did an album of Beatles covers. I don't think any other songwriters have been covered more than Lennon-McCartney.
I just got the Giles Martin mix of the White Album.. Playing it now. ''Birthday'' is jumping out of the speakkers, clear as a bell, no digital compression. Simply outstanding.
I like all of Giles’ remixes. Doesn’t overdo it. Abbey Road is probably the least impressive, if only because the original is closer to a “contemporary” mix than the other albums.
I like all of Giles’ remixes. Doesn’t overdo it. Abbey Road is probably the least impressive, if only because the original is closer to a “contemporary” mix than the other albums. Originally Posted by TinMan
Are you familiar with the first CD pressing of Abbey Road? The so-called Black Triangle, Japan version from 1983?

I have that one, a legitimate copy can fetch $200, easy. They are considered to be the most audiophile-sounding, and not many were pressed. Toshiba had not cleared the rights, and it was withdrawn quickly.

There are lots of fakes for sale. They aren't hard to spot, if you can view a pic.