Ornette Coleman, R.I.P.

He passed this morning in Manhattan..

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/ar...uary.html?_r=0

Fort Worth boy, from King Curtis' neighborhood I think.

I was lucky enough to see him perform twice...in San Francisco sometime in the 70's and in Perugia, Italy at the Umbria Jazz festival in 2007...which was sheer dumb luck...didn't even know about the festival until I wandered into it.

His music's strange until you get used to it...I love to mix him and Ivo Perelman for hooktards when they visit, see how they react....ha.
He passed this morning in Manhattan..

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/12/ar...uary.html?_r=0

Fort Worth boy, from King Curtis' neighborhood I think.

I was lucky enough to see him perform twice...in San Francisco sometime in the 70's and in Perugia, Italy at the Umbria Jazz festival in 2007...which was sheer dumb luck...didn't even know about the festival until I wandered into it.

His music's strange until you get used to it...I love to mix him and Ivo Perelman for hooktards when they visit, see how they react....ha. Originally Posted by Don T. Lukbak
I never got the chance to see him live, but listened to his music a lot in my college days. I thought he was easy to get. Not as impenetrable as Monk or Mingus or Coltrane was at times.

I visited with a provider from Austin a few times who had an expansive jazz playlist from bebop to standards, quite nice.

He sounded just fine to me for my first time to ever hear him play.
He sounded just fine to me for my first time to ever hear him play. Originally Posted by bigtexdan
I wonder if that might be attributable to the influence he had already had on music and other musicians by then....if you're not superannuated.

I'm just sayin' that in the late 50's or early 60's, when I listened at it for the first time, it was strange sounding to me. Not just me, some other musicians freaked the fuck out, picked up their instruments, and hauled ass. I tend to like weirdness, though, and rapidly came to enjoy Ornette.

...or, maybe you came up in Tannu Tuva or some other place unbound by the musical conventions of the west...they're bounded by other traditions.

Just wondering.
The Shape of Jazz To Come was the shit. Great fucking record.