Liberals vs. Conservatives

Hey guys, in the wake of the tragedy in France I have found myself almost coming to blows with people over these political/ideological principles and I would like to pose this question or questions to you:

1. To you, does the label of being a conservative or a liberal only apply to your political views?
2. If not, do you think this label should or could apply to a person's overall approach to life?

I see some self professed conservatives preaching about austere cutbacks, how the pussy liberals are really the cause of the terrorists attacks etc.....and in a couple of cases I happen to know for a fact that one such blowhard is an enthusiastic participant in swinger parties and loves going to nudist socials! Another would be first in line for the legalization of pot!

To me these don't seem like conservative ideals.

On the flip, people dancing on the liberal side seem to be some of the most conservative spenders I've ever met!

What do you guys think?
They both come off as the same shit, different toilet, for many reasons.

By any measure they are not the same ideologically, in practice, they are. Both sides tend to move toward the center right or left (depending on leanings) only giving the most surface considerations to their party line.There may have been a time where those labels meant something in practice. Today though,they're just synonyms for "established politicking."

People adopting the labels outside of politics is really a matter of personal identity in most cases. They'd rather be seen as (X) than (Y) because..........Reasons???? You'll Have very few die-hards for the ideologies, or the manifestation of their principals. Just big talkers & finger waggers.