Eye Doctor Racket - Rant coming

So it was not that long ago, less than 5 years ago you went in got a eye doctor visit and paid extra for contact fitting, they wrote your prescription and sent you on your way with a sheet of paper that said for example your right eye is -200 and your left is -220 and some roundness and shape of your eye stats, etc. You would then take your prescription to any location you wanted to and use it to buy any contacts you wanted, any brand any quantity in the prescription written on the paper. Prescription was good for one year.
Less than 5 years ago the prescription started specifying the brand and type of contacts they recommend you wear. Therefore you could not buy anything other than that. I found this out the hard way when I tried to buy a competing brand contacts that offering a substantially higher rebate one year. I accepted it as just the way it was and moved on albeit kinda stupid. That alone can lead to doctor pushing certain brands and their office accepting some form of kickbacks from the supplier. Does it happen, I can’t say for sure but almost certain it has and does.
But recently ran into another issue. So now the prescription says the max amount of contacts you can order. The max being a one year supply so they ensure you have to come back and see them next year and pay them to get another year. You see for a very long time I worked out a system where I went to eye doctor every other year. Doctor visit say Nov 2022 buy years worth of contacts and then if my eyesight has not changed in Oct 2023 go back and buy another years worth on same prescription. Saved me time and money instead of going to eye doctor to tell me what I already know, my vision hasn’t changed.
Now I may still get around this by taking my prescription to another place that I didn’t order my 2022 supply from but I don’t know if this will work or not. Even if it does it prob won’t save me any money just time as I go to Costco for my contacts which are cheaper than other outlets. There rebate process is much simpler as well. Or I just schedule an appt again and got through that unnecessary hassle. Haven’t decided.
But point it, I think it’s a racket they not only tell you what contacts you must buy but also how many you can buy off their prescription. That’s BS. It’s all about getting paid, like everything else it goes back to the mighty dollar.
Rant over but interested if anybody else tried my eye doct every 2 year technique before and if anybody else ran into the issues I mentioned.
MD Doctors, what are they, they "PRACTICE MEDICINE"
The medical practice is getting out of hand.
Do this every 3 years , do that every 5 years, do the other every 10 years.
One Thousand, Two Thousand, 3 Thousand and more.

My eyes are now fixed with cataract surgery, it just takes 55 years to get there.
add $3 Thousand for prescription lens and 3 years apart from left to right.
Why on earth would you take any shortcuts with your most important organ?

If you’re going to a real doctor, they not only update your prescription (since your vision changes from year to year) but also screen for diseases if the eye. Penny wise and pound foolish.
So it was not that long ago, less than 5 years ago you went in got a eye doctor visit and paid extra for contact fitting, they wrote your prescription and sent you on your way with a sheet of paper that said for example your right eye is -200 and your left is -220 and some roundness and shape of your eye stats, etc. You would then take your prescription to any location you wanted to and use it to buy any contacts you wanted, any brand any quantity in the prescription written on the paper. Prescription was good for one year.
Less than 5 years ago the prescription started specifying the brand and type of contacts they recommend you wear. Therefore you could not buy anything other than that. I found this out the hard way when I tried to buy a competing brand contacts that offering a substantially higher rebate one year. I accepted it as just the way it was and moved on albeit kinda stupid. That alone can lead to doctor pushing certain brands and their office accepting some form of kickbacks from the supplier. Does it happen, I can’t say for sure but almost certain it has and does.
But recently ran into another issue. So now the prescription says the max amount of contacts you can order. The max being a one year supply so they ensure you have to come back and see them next year and pay them to get another year. You see for a very long time I worked out a system where I went to eye doctor every other year. Doctor visit say Nov 2022 buy years worth of contacts and then if my eyesight has not changed in Oct 2023 go back and buy another years worth on same prescription. Saved me time and money instead of going to eye doctor to tell me what I already know, my vision hasn’t changed.
Now I may still get around this by taking my prescription to another place that I didn’t order my 2022 supply from but I don’t know if this will work or not. Even if it does it prob won’t save me any money just time as I go to Costco for my contacts which are cheaper than other outlets. There rebate process is much simpler as well. Or I just schedule an appt again and got through that unnecessary hassle. Haven’t decided.
But point it, I think it’s a racket they not only tell you what contacts you must buy but also how many you can buy off their prescription. That’s BS. It’s all about getting paid, like everything else it goes back to the mighty dollar.
Rant over but interested if anybody else tried my eye doct every 2 year technique before and if anybody else ran into the issues I mentioned. Originally Posted by Dirkdiggler41
I know what you mean...my eye sight is unchanged, I just need the same prescription. I have learned that I didn't recognize the degradation of my sight because it was slow and I was compensating for the change. But change is taking place even if you don't recognize it.

The American Academy of Ophthalmology highly recommends annual eye exams. All Optometrists and Ophthalmologists are members of the Academy, and adhere to those guidelines. As TushHog mentioned, catching eye diseases early is the best way to successfully overcome them.

An eye exam can identify:
Aneurysm. An aneurysm is a bubble in the wall of a blood vessel. ...
Brain tumor. ...
Cancers of blood, tissue or skin. ...
Diabetes. ...
Giant cell arteritis. ...
Heart disease. ...
High blood pressure. ...
High cholesterol.

If any of those health problems are detected, the Optometrist can't rip you off with treatment, as they will tell you to go see your Doctor.

If you think that annual exams are a rip-off, then I assume you change your oil and filter every 4 or 5 years, cuz otherwise it's a rip-off? Naw, man, you change your oil & filter regulary, to protect & prolong your ride. Consider doing the same for you eyes.
At a certain age I agree with your accesssment of anual eye exam. Older age presents higher risk for disease including the eye but in your car analogy why would it be necessarily to check the air coolant in a just a 2 year old car or pay for a full assesment of your break pads annually when you don’t hear any squeaking or have breaking issues. It’s overkill. I can use common sense and be my own advocate for my own eyeballs and I deem it reasonable practice at my age to go every other year as I have for years. The latest changes close that ability. Maybe I am just getting older and starting to hear myself think more often about changes and how things use to be, eye doctor and other things. How far am I from old man get off my lawn guy. Lol. Nah. But seriously I can’t be convinced I need an eye exam every year at my age. Doesn’t make any sense other than to ensure docs pockets are lined more fully.
The system is controlling us just the way they want to. It does suck. Why can’t we get the same prescription if our vision is same? Why do I need them to dictate to me? Let me lead my own life, I will see you when I think I need to. Not because you make me.. ugggg
  • Kili
  • 12-19-2023, 10:47 AM
There are places online where you can get a new Rx. You use phone or phone/PC to take vision test. I have done it several times.
find a new eye doctor.
my optometrist doesnt pull any of that stuff.