Best BBQ in Austin

I've got people visiting soon from CA and sure could use some recommendations for the best BBQ in Austin.
There's a thread about this somewhere, I'd do a search.
IMHO, Salt Lick, both locations is very, very good.
There is no good BBQ in Austin irregardless of what anyone tells you. If you want good BBQ take them to Kreuz in Lockhart, Muellers in Taylor, or Snows in Lexington. Depending on when they arrive, it may be a chance to see some bluebonnets on the drive there. There are other decent places as well, just none in town.
Snows in Lexington is actually Snows in Tanglewood, open only on Saturdays. Is only take out also.

Being from the Capital of BBQ (Lockhart) you should start with Chisholm Trail BBQ, Kruez (German language, it's not said as cruise) Market, Smitty's Market, Brother owes Kruez and Sister owes Smitty's, history. There is one more BBQ location (wont mention name) but don't necessary recommend since I recommend the best in Texas by many accounts.

Right in line would be the City Market in Luling.
Worth the drive, but there's a little dive on the way to Bastrop called Benny's BBQ. Best beef ribs ever, but his sauce is only so-so. Not bad, mind you, and the ribs more than make up for any lacking. Best to call ahead.
nope: for Beef either brisket or ribs.. it is the Salt Lick
Snows in Lexington is actually Snows in Tanglewood, open only on Saturdays. Is only take out also.

Being from the Capital of BBQ (Lockhart) you should start with Chisholm Trail BBQ, Kruez (German language, it's not said as cruise) Market, Smitty's Market, Brother owes Kruez and Sister owes Smitty's, history. There is one more BBQ location (wont mention name) but don't necessary recommend since I recommend the best in Texas by many accounts.

Right in line would be the City Market in Luling. Originally Posted by Woody of TX
All good choices Woody. Rarely hear Chisholm mentioned but its the best value, where the locals usually eat, and a great place to stock up. I also usually omit Blacks although some like it. As far as Snows goes, my experience has been you had better get there very early (8AM) because they sell out quickly. Not sure how you come up with Tanglewood because they are right by the Lexington cattle auction at 516 Main and it is dine in with free bean refills. Snows brisket is the best. Muellers has good beef ribs. Chisholm for the BBQ fajita meat. Kreutz best all around.

http://www.snowsbbq.com/index.html

http://www.kreuzmarket.com/index.shtml

http://www.smittysmarket.com/

http://www.chisholmtrailbbq.com/

http://www.lulingcitymarket.com/

http://www.louiemuellerbarbecue.com/
Since the OP asked about "best BBQ in Austin", not "near" austin, I recommend Vans, on 183, about 1/2 mile East of Burnet Rd. A quiet little secret that old on style and big on value.
Can't beat Coopers' BIG CHOP! (Llano - 1 hour away - or new store in New Braunfels - 45 minutes away)

For atmosphere, it's definitely the Salt Lick.... excellent ribs, brisket and sauce... and out of towners flat out love the experience!

Beef Ribs are good at above mentioned establishments, but there's nothing slouchy about the beef ribs at the County Line. Plus they've got the best sides in around, imho.

If you're craving sirloin, check out Schoepf's in Temple. Awesome smoked steak dinners.

Sam's in East Austin has BBQ mutton which is another experience.

You can also impress your guests at Lamberts or Jaspers and drop a ton of money. Food is great but it AIN'T TEXAS BBQ!

AND DON'T FORGET THE LATEST AND GREATEST -- Franklin's on I-35 -- a BBQ lunch trailer that kicks everybody's ass! Get there early.

Frankly, though, if they're from CA, you could take 'em to Pok E Joe's and they'll jizz in their pants!
Can't believe nobody mentioned Opie's off 71 around Spicewood. That and Kreuz are my favorites. Never had much luck at Muellers in Taylor...I always end up with tough brisket there.

Anybody tried the other Muellers in Bastrop (is it even still open)? This was the one that moved from I-35 a few years ago (owned by the son I believe)...
but..... the question was "in Austin".. they may not be in the mood for a "road trip".
Can't believe nobody mentioned Opie's off 71 around Spicewood. That and Kreuz are my favorites. Never had much luck at Muellers in Taylor...I always end up with tough brisket there.

Anybody tried the other Muellers in Bastrop (is it even still open)? This was the one that moved from I-35 a few years ago (owned by the son I believe)... Originally Posted by jollygaroger
I'll have to try Opie's next time I drive by it. Mueller's in Taylor while capable of top tier, definitely inconsistent.
but..... the question was "in Austin".. they may not be in the mood for a "road trip". Originally Posted by nuglet
maybe not, but if someone is coming all the way from californy why not treat them to the real deal. And if you were to leave from S Austin, it might be just as quick of a trip to Lockhart as to N. Austin for example. Not talking Rio Grande valley here.
true, but I live locally and wouldn't go to most of those places.. and definitely wouldn't take folks from out of town there. Most of my friends wouldn't know truly good BBQ if they fell in it.. so it's just not worth a trip. But to be fair, I sure would NOT take them to someplace like Bill Miller either.. Even I can't choke that stuff down.
true, but I live locally and wouldn't go to most of those places.. and definitely wouldn't take folks from out of town there. Most of my friends wouldn't know truly good BBQ if they fell in it.. so it's just not worth a trip. But to be fair, I sure would NO take them to someplace like Bill Miller either.. Even I can't choke that stuff down. Originally Posted by nuglet
recommendations for the best BBQ in Austin. Originally Posted by toulmin
maybe I'm wrong but I thought OP was seeking quality