If you passed today, would you leave behind a huge mess?

There was a client who used to come see a friend of mine, for the past few years, every time he was in town. My friend recently forwarded an email to me that was written by a close friend of the client, stating that he had passed away, and that they were trying to reach out to the people he had corresponded with by email. It was followed with the story of his life, where he had been, and all the great things he did for people... The person said they didn't know what the relationship was between the friend and provider, but honestly, if they were able to get into his email, I'm sure they could have figured it out if they really wanted.

This makes me wonder what would have happened if he had a family, (he didn't) or was involved with someone... The last thing I would ever want would be to pass, and the celebration of my life be overshadowed by my 'wrong doings' that were discovered after I was gone.

If you left this world today, would you have all of your bases covered in your hobby life? Im lucky enough that i know if something happened, there would be a couple friends making moves to do damage control before it ever came out. I also have a living will, and that person knows what to do with all of my belongings, where money is stashed, etc.

Thoughts?
  • Deke
  • 06-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Something to think about. Thanks Miss! Sorry 'bout your friend too.
Get a "beard" ASAP. This is the guy/buddy/hobbyist that will make sure this part of your life does not surface when your family is dealing with your passing.
^^^ Exactly!
I am in the process of getting rid of my hobby phone and going exclusively with Google Voice. That is the only hard evidence that someone might accidentally discover. I don't save photos, and I retain nothing linking me to my hobby accounts. I've actually gone through the "what if" scenario mentioned here, and have tried to make it so my hobby persona dies when I do.
  • shlub
  • 06-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Sobering thoughts, little miss.

Another link to squash is recurring billing.
Little Miss,

I can't say I have thought about that scenario. The only thing I can say is what links me to hobby is controlled. That said I will take a fresh look at all my links to hobby and civie world. Thanks
What's she going to do? Dig me up for a good tongue lashing? Divorce me (after I'm dead)?

The ONLY reasons to hide this for me are 1) illegal, 2) cost of divorce, neither of those come into play once I'm in the ground.
What's she going to do? Dig me up for a good tongue lashing? Divorce me (after I'm dead)?

The ONLY reasons to hide this for me are 1) illegal, 2) cost of divorce, neither of those come into play once I'm in the ground. Originally Posted by Iaintliein
My spouse doesn't deserve the humiliation that could come from public discovery of this hobby. Neither do the kids. If you don't have reason to care about either, then this thread doesn't apply to you.
My spouse doesn't deserve the humiliation that could come from public discovery of this hobby. Neither do the kids. If you don't have reason to care about either, then this thread doesn't apply to you. Originally Posted by TinMan
With all due respect, I wasn't talking about your spouse and kids, didn't realize this was a private thread. Sorry to interfere with the guilt trip.
It's not, but it seemed to me this thread was started by someone with a similar concern as mine, which is why I'm interested in the subject. Intentional or not, the tone of your response was "who cares", and the answer is, "a lot of us". Makes me wonder why you bothered posting since the situation apparently doesn't apply to you.
Everything (hobby-related) will self-destruct in 5 seconds.... beep beep beep beep beep....
Once I'm dead, everything's game over.
Got a will, so people can go to court and fight over that.
She would not have access to the email used for hobbying. Like stated above have a "beard" that will get rid of any evidence. I don't care what the SO thinks about me just don't want the kids to know.
I'm with TinMan and MasterB on this one. Don't want to add insult to injury. Bundle all of your shit and make sure the Beard knows where it is. He can cover the post-passing shit storm. I'll do the same for him. Hobby phone, hobby laptop, hidden funds, etc. He knows what to do with it if I get popped and end up in jail or if I pass. Might sound like overdoing it, but planning ahead is always a good idea.
Easy answer. Tell the SO now.

Tough road, but you get to sleep easy at night on a lot of topics.