HELP!! Accidentally caught money on fire!!! Will A Bank or Business Accept Burnt Cash?

Seriously....I still can't believe it happened!! OMG.....I had $120.00 folded in half, sitting on my bathroom counter....I just went back in bathroom and my candle had fallen over, and caught the money on fire!!! GEEZ!!! I put it under the sink water and put fire out...but bills are burned around the edges....can i still spend it? if so, where?

Take it to a bank and ask. As long as over 1/2 the bill is there, should be OK
You can take it to the bank and they should trade it for you if it has at least 1 and one half of the 2 serial numbers visible. You should still be ok.

A bank will redeem damaged cash.
As long as the serial number is visible your bank will take the bills.
Survey says,,,, take it to the bank.
I thought the providers were in a recession, now I see one that has money to burn.
Go ahead Paige, admit it. You just had to light that cigarette with the hundred.
  • S-Man
  • 10-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Unless regulations changed, it was 3/4 of the bill had to be undamaged.

As others have suggested, go talk to someone at your bank.
  • Txh64
  • 10-04-2010, 02:17 PM
The thresholds for a bank to replace them is "clearly more than half" and "does not require special examination to determine value". After that you have to submit them to the treasury dpt. for special examination. Based on the pics a bank should be able to replace them.
  • S-Man
  • 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/consum...placemoney.htm

Replacing Mutilated Currency
Mutilated currency is considered to be any bill NOT CLEARLY more than one-half of the original bill and/or requires special examination to determine its value. Most mutilated currency has been damaged by fire, flooding, chemicals, explosions, animals or insects. Another very common source of damage to currency is petrification or deterioration by burying.
From what I see in your photo the bank will definitely take it..
I hesitate to ask if the sex was that good. If so, might want to have him leave the cash in a separate room next time, or invite me.
  • ~Ze~
  • 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I've mailed in bills way worse than that to the Treasury... think two appointments worth in the washer machine.. and received all of it back.
OMG, im sorry sweetie but this is funny, no disrespect to you but i needed this laugh
  • Txh64
  • 10-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I've mailed in bills way worse than that to the Treasury... think two appointments worth in the washer machine.. and received all of it back. Originally Posted by ~Ze~

That is cleaning up. Better than it burning a hole in Paige's pocket!